Help...Out of breath when excersising

Options

Replies

• dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    go to your doctor and perhaps to a respiratory medical professional. They will do bloodwork and tests for breathing etc. Also drop down to around 100-115lbs total weight. so u dont have to carry all the mass , might increase quality of life due to easiness to move etc.

What?

if a beginner 6 foot tall MALE weight around 140-150lbs at 10% bodyfat, it definately means that NO female should weight over that number.

Any female heavier than 130lbs is NOT a health oriented human. This is not a fat acceptance forums.

Kindly GTFO. I mean that in the nicest way.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    90 seconds is a pretty good start actually. I could only do about that, maybe even less when I started running and I've never smoked. I'm just fat...

This. When I started C25K, the 60 second intervals made me feel like my lungs would explode.

Haha same! I'm into week 7 at the moment. Just cracked the "run for 20 minutes straight" barrier.

That is AWESOME! Keep going - it's so worth it!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    You could have exercise induced asthma which can occur frequently in overweight people. I used to have this because I didnt work out and my lungs didnt function as well as they used to with the added weight. I found that swimming didnt show the same side effects like running did, there were almost no breathing issues what so ever. So i would try to swim at the gym if you could once and see if it doesnt effect you as badly
  • lucky078
    lucky078 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    go to your doctor and perhaps to a respiratory medical professional. They will do bloodwork and tests for breathing etc. Also drop down to around 100-115lbs total weight. so u dont have to carry all the mass , might increase quality of life due to easiness to move etc.

What?

if a beginner 6 foot tall MALE weight around 140-150lbs at 10% bodyfat, it definately means that NO female should weight over that number.

Any female heavier than 130lbs is NOT a health oriented human. This is not a fat acceptance forums.

Hi there, I understand you are trying to help but last time I weighed around the amount you feel I should be I was hospitalised as I was suffering from anorexia...I was not a skeleton but was certainly not healthy...of course this is not a fat acceptance forum but is is a forum where we can come and ask for help and support and I did not ask you what you think I should weigh, thank you
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

What?

hhaha. oh wait you were serious?
    yeah no
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lucky078 wrote: »
    Hi there, I understand you are trying to help but last time I weighed around the amount you feel I should be I was hospitalised as I was suffering from anorexia...I was not a skeleton but was certainly not healthy...of course this is not a fat acceptance forum but is is a forum where we can come and ask for help and support and I did not ask you what you think I should weigh, thank you

I want to grow up to be as tactful as you. In other words, nicely done.

• lucky078
    Options
    JustMe2691 wrote: »

I want to grow up to be as tactful as you. In other words, nicely done.

Haha thanks...but seriously what an idiot! ;)
  • lucky078
    Options
    You could have exercise induced asthma which can occur frequently in overweight people. I used to have this because I didnt work out and my lungs didnt function as well as they used to with the added weight. I found that swimming didnt show the same side effects like running did, there were almost no breathing issues what so ever. So i would try to swim at the gym if you could once and see if it doesnt effect you as badly

Thanks, I have never heard of that, would that eventually go with weight loss and increased fitness etc? I'll try swming as well though thanks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    start slower...improving your fitness takes time and patience. I'm a reformed 2-3 PAD smoker...I smoked for a good 20 years and quite back in 2012...it definitely gets easier, but it takes time. I've been on this little safari now for going on 3 years...I started out doing nothing more than walking over varied terrain.

When I was to the point where walking an hour or so per day was no longer all that challenging I did a couch to 5K program to start running a bit. Three years later, I don't really run much anymore, but I ride about 80 miles or so per week...I hike in the mountains and do a bit swimming and do some fun runs on occasion.

It just takes time...
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5K program is good for building your aerobic capacity. You may also be trying to run too fast.When running, you should be able to pass the "talk test" most of the time: Can you speak in short but complete sentences? If not, slow down. (If you can sing, though, speed up.)
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

WHAT? SMH...

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of this, but there are actually books of breathing exercises for wind/brass musicians. You might find that they help you relax and expand your lungs as well as give them more power. The power won't be very important to you, but the expansion and steady work on lung development may be helpful for you!

Other than that, I second everyone's advice to go slow and work your way up. It may be slower than you'd like, but you'll get there!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

WHAT? SMH...

Right? I'm 137. I'm evidently fat, unhealthy, and boy do I have a hard time getting from the couch to the fridge. How do I log that? Too much mass!
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options

What?

Kindly GTFO. I mean that in the nicest way.
    LOL best answer ever.

• ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options

What?

What in the actual f...

Pretty much!!! I weigh in at around 132, and I'm only 5'4.5" - and I'm prefectly within the healthy range. Pretty much that guy is saying anorexia is the only way to be... or extraordinarily short!!! EFFFF THAT!!!

OP, congratulations on quitting smoking, and I'm glad to see you didn't listen to that guy at all!! :) My lungs aren't great either (not a smoker, just crappy lungs), and I've found that weather can be a big contributor as well - I have a harder time when it's humid or hot, rather than cooler, so I tend to go out later in the evening.
  • lucky078
    Options

What?

I'm glad that moron's comment seems to have been removed. I don't think he was trying to help, I think he was trolling.
    Or he's a raving idiot, one or the other. I am far less tactful than you.

Ohhhhh.....he was trying to make me feel bad!?! Gosh, he must not have much going on in his life n that case I probably wound him up even more by thanking him hahaha!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

She's also 4' 11". You don't know that the OP is that size. 100lbs isn't the same for everyone.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Oh my, a muh freeze peach advocate on MFP.
    People telling you that you don't know stuff on MFP isn't censorship. They're people criticizing you, on a site that has no obligation to give you a platform for your ignorance, not the government putting you in prison for it. Though stuff like this makes me reconsider the idea of the latter.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    1. People have different bodies.
    2. Not everyone even wants to look like the woman in the second picture (my husband would be devastated if my t&a dropped to that)
    3. Even if that was the goal, how are people supposed to get there if they can't exercise until they're already that size, as your first post suggests?

Back to topic, I'll just reiterate a lot of the previous comments: run slower and breathe in time to your stride. See your doc if you think you need to; an inhaler can help if you have exercise-induced asthma. (The 2 common questions for initial diagnosis are, "Are you out of breath after a flight of stairs?" and "Do you cough after workouts?" If you answer yes, they'll test your lung capacity and go from there.)

@ashdawg8790 also had a great point that the weather (or allergies) can also have an effect, but it might be different for you. My brother can't do heat, and I can't do cold, so it definitely varies even with the same genes! Good luck, and congrats on getting healthy!