Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is this Healthy?

Hey again, I made a previous post about my diet and such. I decided to correct it a bit, I want opinions on it. My worst nightmare is that I won't lose weight and that it is all for nothing.
So today, my meals were:
Ice Cream- 151
Crisps- 85
Flapjack- 136
Potatoes- 100
Ravioli - 668
Total = 1140 calories

I know the food selection's are not the best, but I was in a rush to get to College and forget to bring my own healthy meal, which is why I had the Ice Cream and such. Usually, I have some fruit for lunch and that's it till dinner.

For exercise today, according to my S Health App. I lost 800 calories, which is really hard to believe..I walked for 1 hour and 20, and ran for 10 minutes, and also did 14000 steps. Is my app correct?

I'm looking to lose 3 stone 1-5 pounds by December. Would I be able to do this?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Is this all you're eating for the day?
  • Zaytex
    Zaytex Posts: 14 Member
    Is this all you're eating for the day?
    Yeah, I usually don't have time for Breakfast, and am not motivated to eat it. I don't feel hungry until dinner which is 5-6 hours later, so I don't eat anything..

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    How did you arrive at those calorie counts? Are you guessing? I'm betting that if you're not preparing your own food using a food scale to measure all your solids and measuring cups/spoons for your liquids that you are underestimating your intake. If you're taking a portion of cafeteria food, for example, you have no way to know what the calorie content actually is (you might think you have 100g of potatoes when you eyeball it, but it might be more like 175g, they might have been made with a ton of butter or oil, etc etc.)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Technically you will lose weight on this calorie count, but it's awfully unbalanced (nutritionally speaking).

You Brits and your flapjacks.... So jealous. ;_; I'm still waiting for them to catch on here (and NO oatbars DO NOT COUNT.)
  • Zaytex
    peleroja wrote: »
    How did you arrive at those calorie counts? Are you guessing? I'm betting that if you're not preparing your own food using a food scale to measure all your solids and measuring cups/spoons for your liquids that you are underestimating your intake. If you're taking a portion of cafeteria food, for example, you have no way to know what the calorie content actually is (you might think you have 100g of potatoes when you eyeball it, but it might be more like 175g, they might have been made with a ton of butter or oil, etc etc.)
    On all the food I eat, it shows the calorie amount. So I just add them all together.

• peleroja
    Zaytex wrote: »
    On all the food I eat, it shows the calorie amount. So I just add them all together.

So absolutely everything you eat is single-serving, out of a packet?
  • Zaytex
    edited June 2015
    On all the food I eat, it shows the calorie am

Yeah. Unless It's fresh fruit.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    You likely ate well below your BMR for a male, 1500 cals is the minimum suggested. One day of that isn't necessarily bad, but you shouldn't make that your daily pattern.

You are likely not getting nearly enough protein, either, judging by those items. You don't want to continuously get too little protein since your weight loss will tend to lose from your lean body mass more than you would like.

Your weight loss goal (47 lbs) is pretty aggressive to reach by December which is 23 weeks away.. Two lbs/wk is the recommended max, and that's really for people who are very overweight. You probably can do 2 lbs/wk to start off with, but it will slow down as you get closer to your goal.

Set up your stats in MFP, eat to that target. Try to get enough protein and fat to meet your macros.

• Zaytex
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    You likely ate well below your BMR for a male, 1500 cals is the minimum suggested. One day of that isn't necessarily bad, but you shouldn't make that your daily pattern.

You are likely not getting nearly enough protein, either, judging by those items. You don't want to continuously get too little protein since your weight loss will tend to lose from your lean body mass more than you would like.

Your weight loss goal (47 lbs) is pretty aggressive to reach by December which is 23 weeks away.. Two lbs/wk is the recommended max, and that's really for people who are very overweight. You probably can do 2 lbs/wk to start off with, but it will slow down as you get closer to your goal.

Set up your stats in MFP, eat to that target. Try to get enough protein and fat to meet your macros.

I see what your saying, but with the protein suggestion. It's hard for me to get much. Since I'm a vegeterian, and am totally against eating animals.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member

I see what your saying, but with the protein suggestion. It's hard for me to get much. Since I'm a vegeterian, and am totally against eating animals.

There are higher protein vegetarian foods (legumes come to mind), and you can get protein supplements that are vegetarian/vegan friendly.
  • peleroja

Well, you will lose weight if you are in fact eating that little. However, it's not ideal for health, as you'll be lacking a lot of essential micronutrients, and with an almost total lack of protein you'll likely also feel quite hungry and find it difficult to continue. If you're a vegetarian, there are still a ton of protein-rich options that can help keep you feeling full and give your body energy. At your age, unless you're very short and fairly thin already, you don't need to drop your calories so low to lose weight and it's very likely that it will be extremely difficult to maintain long-term (I'm a 118-pound woman and I have trouble eating that little for more than a month or two...and it's going to be a lot tougher for the average teenage boy.)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I doubt that the exercise you described equals 800 calories. Almost every fitness tracker (maybe all of them) overestimate calories burned.
  • Zaytex

There are higher protein vegetarian foods (legumes come to mind), and you can get protein supplements that are vegetarian/vegan friendly.

When I think about protein, I have eaten some in the past. Like Asparagus, and lentil meals. Would they be fine?

• Zaytex

Well, you will lose weight if you are in fact eating that little. However, it's not ideal for health, as you'll be lacking a lot of essential micronutrients, and with an almost total lack of protein you'll likely also feel quite hungry and find it difficult to continue. If you're a vegetarian, there are still a ton of protein-rich options that can help keep you feeling full and give your body energy. At your age, unless you're very short and fairly thin already, you don't need to drop your calories so low to lose weight and it's very likely that it will be extremely difficult to maintain long-term (I'm a 118-pound woman and I have trouble eating that little for more than a month or two...and it's going to be a lot tougher for the average teenage boy.)

My resolve is strong. However, I would say that today's selection of food choices wasn't the best in my 'diary'

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    you are not doing your body any favours eating like that. eat more meat and fresh raw veggies. skip the sweets. and have a tasty fruit.
    no offence you are not going to be able to maintain the weight loss if you dont train yourself to eat the better choices.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    you are not doing your body any favours eating like that. eat more meat and fresh raw veggies. skip the sweets. and have a tasty fruit.
    no offence you are not going to be able to maintain the weight loss if you dont train yourself to eat the better choices.
    Meat seems out of the question at this point, but OP does need more protein, imo.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member

When I think about protein, I have eaten some in the past. Like Asparagus, and lentil meals. Would they be fine?

Lentils are great for protein, as are all beans, plus tofu, seitan and tempeh. If you eat animal products, eggs and Greek yogurt are also very high in protein.

Soynuts are a good high protein snack (not really nuts, they are dry roasted soybeans). Nuts have some protein, but also a lot of fat, so watch your portion sizes if you do eat nuts or seeds.

You might want to add some fresh fruit and veggies as well, to make sure you are getting enough fibre and micronutrients.
  • Zaytex
    I eat fruit, never eat sweets, can't eat meat. And try to choose the best healthiest meal for my dinner,lunch etc.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    For a vegetarian, the OP doesn't eat very many vegetables.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    I eat fruit, never eat sweets, can't eat meat. And try to choose the best healthiest meal for my dinner,lunch etc.

Never eat sweets?
    You ate ice cream.

Protein sources:
    beans, quinoa, lentils, tofu, eggs, dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt), protein powder, tempeh