Confusing Olive Garden Website...

Options
Ali_TSO
Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
So, my in-laws just told me that we're going to Olive Garden next Fri to celebrate my sis-in-law graduating from high school. But looking at their nutritional info online, it's kind of confusing...:huh:

For example, the Steak Toscano is 590 cals, but is that just the steak? I don't even see nutritional info for their sides, so I'm not sure... :grumble:

Anyone have any ideas?... :ohwell:

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    That's a good question...
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Call them and ask. Let us know.

Thanks
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    i bet it is just the steak, I can see their meals being very high in calories,

but i LOVE olive garden......I try to stay away :)
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The apricot chicken entree would probably be your best bet. it's 390 cal including everything - chicken with apricot sauce, served with asparagus and brocolli. Healthiest thing on their menu! Avoid their salad dressing though... :(
  • freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it must include the whole meal
    The appetizer part looks pretty extensive they even have the add extra sauces broken down
    What sides were you looking for specifically?
    The salad and the bread sticks are listed as appetizers.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If you ask for the salad dressing on the side, it's amazing how much dressing they bring you! And if they normally put that much on the bowl of salad, you will have a high calorie count. I just put a very small amt on my salad and asked for a little dish to take the rest home. It lasted my husband me over a week and we had salads almost every day!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I went to their regular menu to help you kind of figure the steak question out. That meal in particular is a 12 oz strip steak with a side of potatoes and red bell peppers. Going off of the dietary exchange system for diabetics (which is fairly general) a lean protein contains 55 calories and 2-3 grams of fat per 1 ounce. If you consider some of the weight of the steak will be cooked off (usually 1/4 to 1/3 of the raw meat weight), you end up with about a 9 ounce steak (9x55 = 495 calories) so it's possible the whole meal can come in at the calories they are talking about. :)

If you're wondering where I got all of this information, I have my Bachelor's in Nutrition, and I worked in restaurant the whole way through high school and college. Let me know if you need any more help!
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    Craftygirl, thanks! :) I've sent them an email asking specifiically...and I'll let you guys know. Oh, and I abstain from salad and breadsticks completely. I figure that I have enough salad during the week, I can REALLY do without...especially with the high-cal dressing. No thanks! LOL
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    I got an email from them that said:

"The nutrional information we have available is based on the entree that is brought to you as described in our menu. We consider one entree and all its contents to be one serving."

SO THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!! :happy:
  • linz_83
    linz_83 Posts: 45
    Options
    Good to know thanks.
    I was just at there webite a few nights ago and was SHOCKED at the calories in there meals!
    I would have several breadsticks and salad and split the chicken alfredo with hubby, but no more! I cant believe the cal and fat in most of there food. even the childrens menu is bad!
    someone already mentioned the apricot chicken, it does look like the best choice.
    Good luck