Help...Out of breath when excersising

Options
Hi there, I am fairly new to this site but am finding it great so far...I am managing to stay within my calories and have started to loose some weight. I am trying to increase my exercise but as an ex smoker I am finding my breathing/lung capacity is really holding me back. I have just been out for a small jog, but found I couldnt manage even 90 seconds of jogging due to my breathing...does anyone have any help or advise about how I can build my lung capacity up? Thanks!!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes. Keep doing it, that's about your only option. Get on a beginner running program maybe if you want some structure?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The ex smoker part isn't a significant part of your situation unless you have COPD. You just need to build cardiovascular fitness. C25K is a great way to get started on that.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Keep pushing yourself. you'll get there! After I quit smoking it took me months on the elliptical to even begin to see the difference. I didn't start running until last yer, now here I am a bonifide runner, 5k, 10k and sprint triathlon competitor :)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I second the keep doing.
    I have asthma and therefore issues with breathing as well. Building up your endurance is the only way, but soon enough younwill notice improvements.
    You should always pick up running with interval training. Plenty of free programs like couch to 5k out there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Slow down and then slow down some more. If you need to stick to just walking for a while, then start adding short slow running intervals (start with 30 sec to 1 min) and very gradually build up. It takes your body a long time to recover from smoking, be patient (but don`t give up)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    As someone said, being an ex smoker isn't necessarily the culprit of this. I was never a smoker and couldn't run for more than minute when I first started . . . just takes time to build up cardiovascular fitness, so just keep doing what you're doing and you will see some progress. You have to stick to it though, doesn't happen over night.

Also - the point of exercising isn't to be comfortable right? If you're not breathing heavy after a run/jog I'd say you're not doing it properly . . .
  • Kayvo08
    Kayvo08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on your breathing. Inhale through your nose and exhale out through you mouth. This has always helped me. It helps regulate your heart rate. Which will help you feel, less like dying.

Whenever I'm running and start to breathe heavy, its cause I know I'm not breathing right and therefore hyperventilate. Making it painful to continue running.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through.

I started smoking at 17 and finally quit at 55 around two years ago.
    I huffed and puffed, even just warming up on the stationary bike was an ordeal.

Persevere.

I don't particularly like jogging for cardio work so I do very brisk walking either outdoors or on the treadmill when I'm not on my lifting days.
    It gets me breathing heavily but if you concentrate on "good, steady breathing" in through the nose and out through the mouth (as stated by Kayvo08) you get a nice rhythm going and you will not feel yourself with that weird floundering feeling.
    Try jogging intervals of much less, say 20 seconds and slowly build.

You will get so much better and it feels great! So glad I gave up smoking now. :)

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    lucky078 wrote: »
    Hi there, I am fairly new to this... I have just been out for a small jog, but found I couldnt manage even 90 seconds of jogging due to my breathing.

What everyone else has been saying - just persevere. Don't try to run super fast. These first weeks are going to be the hardest but trust all of us who have been there, done that, your aerobic capability and cardiopulmonary system will improve and in time you'll be putting in longer and longer times between walk or rest breaks.

I also second the notion of adopting a run-walk-run program like the C25K (google it). Anyone, and I really mean anyone, without serious underlying health issues should be able to tackle C25K and complete it.

While you might not be able to manage this right now (but in short order... yes you will!), your goal for your runs should be to run at a pace where you could hold something of a conversation out loud with someone without wheezing. If you don't have a partner just talk out loud to yourself for a bit to test. This technique helps limit the pace at which you run. Most people make the mistake of running too fast. It isn't necessary or even ideal to push your pace all the time.

Mike

• jlebyrne
    jlebyrne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    +1 for keeping at it. When I started going to the gym just over a month ago I couldn't even jog for 60 seconds on the treadmill without getting ridiculously out of breath and needing to drink a gallon of water. I stuck with it and built myself up by walking at first, gradually increasing the speed and incline with each workout, then alternating between 1 minute sprinting, 1 minute walking, then running for as long as I could and slowing down to a walk when I could no longer run and now I can run for a full treadmill workout. I get sweaty and a little out of breath but I can comfortably make it to the end of a workout now. I know running on a treadmill is very different to running outside but the principle is the same; if you persevere, your body will start adapting and you'll be able to run longer distances without getting out of breath. Good luck!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink plenty of water during the day... I find that if I don't drink enough I find it hard to draw air into my lungs when I exercise ( non smoker, no asthma)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Can you walk? If not, start from there. When you can walk for at least half an hour at a brisk pace, then add running intervals if you wish to run. SLOW and short running intervals. If you jog for 1 minute and you are out of breath, make sure the next running interval is slower. It will get better with time, but it takes patience and practice.
    A good rule to remember, is that if you cannot talk or sing, you are going too fast as a beginner. If this means that your running speed will be slower than the average person's walking pace, it is ok. Ignore speed.
  • Jupither
    Jupither Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tend to get out of breath easily as well (had asthma all my childhood...) and what really helped me was paying attention to breathing out at least 3 times as long as breathing in, which can be incorporated really well into the step rhythm while running. And also I had to convince myself not to be self-conscious about my breathing, it's really nobody's business if I get out of breath while exercising :)
  • lucky078
    lucky078 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Guess I am trying to run before I can walk...literally! I'll take a look at the C25k app and try and take things a bit slower and build up...I didn't think trying for 90 seconds was too much to start but looks like the running progamms start with more like 30...thanks for the encouragement!
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit!

Where I live there is a chine that goes down to the beach. It's quite a gradient but has a couple of areas where things level off a little so it really is like a little interval climb. It probably takes only 2 minutes to climb to the top but...boy...when I was a smoker and before I started seriously exercising again I used to be a complete mess at the top!
    Unable to speak.
    Couldn't catch my breath.
    Heart going like the clappers.
    Drooling like an old hound...ewww!

Three months after quitting smoking and taking up cardio and other healthy things I realised, much to my delight, that I could tackle that hill without collapsing at the top!

And it got better and better.

Now I can walk up it talking to my husband as if we were strolling along the pavement, the difference is incredible.

Have fun as well lucky078. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am an ex smoker (6 months in) I ran 2.75 miles yesterday and wasn't out of breath...because I have trained myself.

Exercise is just that training your cardiovascular system to work better.

Oh the 2.75miles was Day 2 of week 8 of C25K...try it if you want your cardio health to improve.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just some additional information: Smoking affects your lungs and unless you have COPD those effects are reversable in a fairly short time after you quit.

For running, unless you have COPD, lung function isn't the limiting factor anyway. cardiovascular fitness is mainly improved by increased heart stroke volume, increased blood volume, increased vascularity in the legs, increased mitocondria size and quantity in the legs' muscle cells, and increased aerobic enzymes in the muscle cells.

Unless you have COPD your lungs can deliver plenty of oxygen. However, your body must develop both the capacity to deliver that oxygen to the working muscles in quantity and for the muscles to fully use the oxygen for energy conversion.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Ex-smoker here!
    Try yoga, to really connect to your breath and work onbuild a stronger and deeper breath. I have found significant improvement in my breathing since I began yoga... Alongside quitting smoking it is the best thing I've done for myself.