The 6 Weight-Loss Tips That Science Actually Knows Work

Options
2»

Replies

• tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!

- yeah I agree that some of the findings are a little depressing ManiacalLaugh...but better the devil you know!
  • babylovers
    babylovers Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was loosing weight about 3.5 a week and all of a sudden I got my period and gained a couple pounds for a week while eating at a big deficit. I now went 2 weeks without no weight loss but that's because after my period I started working out and now it has finally fell off.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    What a pleasant surprise!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    babylovers wrote: »
    I was loosing weight about 3.5 a week and all of a sudden I got my period and gained a couple pounds for a week while eating at a big deficit. I now went 2 weeks without no weight loss but that's because after my period I started working out and now it has finally fell off.

(shhh, just curious - what does that have to do with this thread?)
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    think it might have been a response to my query above atypicalsmith :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I'd like to find out more about points 2 and 3. There's links in the article to some studies. I've got some reading to do.
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    when you find anything interesting maybe you could copy and paste into this thread? hahaha lazybones :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Well more impressed with this thread than I expected! Good article!
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    relying on people rage clicking! ;)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Great article, there are some things in there that I want probe further for my own interest. If it is harder for life if you were overweight, how overweight do you have to have been for that effect to kick in? a little? a lot? (and what is a little and what is a lot 10%? 20%?) I got a little (in my book) overweight before I dealt with it - does this apply to me? How much harder? Why?

I know they couldn't deep dive in an article like this, but I always read something like this and leave with more questions than answers.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Interesting - though if the findings from the NASA sleep study are true, it's also a little depressing. (Basically, those who have let themselves go waaaay too far are always going to have to work harder than their counterparts to maintain a healthy weight.)

Could be, but it could also be that the reason people have let themselves go too far is because they already have to work harder than their counterparts to maintain a healthy weight. The opposite side of that is that a person who has to work harder to maintain a healthy weight burns calories more efficiently. If we were more concerned about our food bill or where our next meal is coming from than we are about being able to eat as much as we want, not having to eat as much to maintain a healthy weight would be a very good thing.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Interesting - though if the findings from the NASA sleep study are true, it's also a little depressing. (Basically, those who have let themselves go waaaay too far are always going to have to work harder than their counterparts to maintain a healthy weight.)

Could be, but it could also be that the reason people have let themselves go too far is because they already have to work harder than their counterparts to maintain a healthy weight. The opposite side of that is that a person who has to work harder to maintain a healthy weight burns calories more efficiently. If we were more concerned about our food bill or where our next meal is coming from than we are about being able to eat as much as we want, not having to eat as much to maintain a healthy weight would be a very good thing.

It's early...I have only had one cup of coffee...but after reading the above bolded statement a few times I still can't figure out what you mean by that.

If it is harder for a once overweight person to maintain...how could they be burning calories more efficiently? My head keeps telling me that the opposite is true.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

It's early...I have only had one cup of coffee...but after reading the above bolded statement a few times I still can't figure out what you mean by that.

If it is harder for a once overweight person to maintain...how could they be burning calories more efficiently? My head keeps telling me that the opposite is true.

It needs less energy for the same task. Like fuel efficiency in a car.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's...accurate, and surprising!
    Forbes? Really? Who knew they had a good science writer?
  • tumbledownhouse
    Options
    haha the post above is what I bet people expected when they clicked my OP!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm legitimately shocked that most of this jives with what I think I know. Not bad!