feeling nervous and not with my programme properly.. advice would be nice x

Options
hi all, I need some advice please. I am finding it tricky keeping with the programme. I have just changed jobs and am working fuller week this week. this has messed me up with finding time to exercise, finding time to log food and just finding time for me. I am having to get up earlier so need to go to bed earlier and am out of my normal sync. I don't want to undo all the good work or lose contact with you guys here at MFP but just don't know how to fit everything in. also the new job feels a bit stressful at the moment and I am really missing my old colleagues plus am not connecting here properly so feeling all in all out of sorts.. any advice please would be great. also I don't get a lunch break so am having a milk shake and nuts at work and then eating lunch at 2.30pm but this hardly seems worth eating as eating dinner around 6pm hmm? the other final thing is I have also had to change the way I dress for this new job. my last job was smart office stuff skirts and dresses.. this job everyone wear jeans and worn out clothes. I have had to dress down as I just feel like I won't connect with my new colleagues if I go in smart plus I feel like a fish out of water.. but now I also miss wear nice things to work.. I feel a bit of a mess... hope I made right choice with this job.. I don't want it impacting my eating and stuff.. waffle over.. thanks for reading guys xxx

Replies

• LizaJo65
    LizaJo65 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi well can't comment on the work not enough detail. However, if it's practical to still where your smart work clothes wear them. You need to be yourself and to be accepted for who you are. For good self esteem you need to feel good about yourself and how you dress helps this. As for stress at work it will be no different if you react to stress or you don't so don't. Still catch up with your old colleagues as they can now be your friends where as the people you work with are your colleagues. Recognise the beauty of the mornings as you now get up earlier and be relaxed and chilled when it's time for bed you'll soon get used to it. Change is always difficult but will be invigorating when you relax into it. Remember the programme is a Life change and you've started so keep going. Be positive about each negative thought and it will come good

Keep smiling and dress to impress why not
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    You sound perfectly miserable. Find another job. This one isn't worth it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I changed jobs not too long ago and it's definitely stressful making a big jump like that. It's tough missing your work buddies and not being an expert and feeling unsure of yourself, but those are the challenges that we grow from :) (or, if you just shook your head and thought "BS", maybe it is time to find another job lol). But you DID make a choice so trust yourself and give it some more time.

It takes time, but you can find your ways to be a little fancy even in jeans. Belts, shoes, jewelry can dress up a slouchy outfit.

How long have you been at the new job? It can take awhile to settle into a new schedule as well. Don't feel guilty or ashamed - let that stuff go, maybe just decide that you're taking two full weeks off of MFP and everything, and let yourself find where your free time goes now. Everything that's new now will seem normal before too long and then you'll see where the exercise and all that fits in. Now is time to just breathe and enjoy the change :)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I changed jobs not too long ago and it's definitely stressful making a big jump like that. It's tough missing your work buddies and not being an expert and feeling unsure of yourself, but those are the challenges that we grow from :) (or, if you just shook your head and thought "BS", maybe it is time to find another job lol). But you DID make a choice so trust yourself and give it some more time.

It takes time, but you can find your ways to be a little fancy even in jeans. Belts, shoes, jewelry can dress up a slouchy outfit.

How long have you been at the new job? It can take awhile to settle into a new schedule as well. Don't feel guilty or ashamed - let that stuff go, maybe just decide that you're taking two full weeks off of MFP and everything, and let yourself find where your free time goes now. Everything that's new now will seem normal before too long and then you'll see where the exercise and all that fits in. Now is time to just breathe and enjoy the change :)

Very true. I jumped the gun a bit, because I stayed in a couple of miserable jobs and regretted it. But I'm not you, and my jobs were not your jobs. As @sofaking said, give it time.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Didn't you have the "I don't know when to eat" thread a little while back, where you were nervous because you would have to go 5 hours between breakfast and lunch? Maybe you should talk to someone if change makes you feel so anxious and out of control.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Didn't you have the "I don't know when to eat" thread a little while back, where you were nervous because you would have to go 5 hours between breakfast and lunch? Maybe you should talk to someone if change makes you feel so anxious and out of control.

I remember that thread, is this the same person?
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hello friend!

Been there. In my case, everyone else was also 20 years younger ;)

My advice - connect with your colleagues as best you can in this critical early stage

Clothes: Black leather jacket, (single-breasted and fitted), gorgeous dark, indigo straight leg jeans, white t-shirt (or tank top if you feel comfortable with your arms,) black pumps, some chunky silver jewelery, some lipstick - BOOM.

What's this no lunch break? Been there as well. You have to have a break, even if it's 15 minutes to stride out for some air. That would worry me that an employer is promoting that working culture. My last employer had tea served to us at our desks all day - why? So we had no reason to take any kind of break away from the desk. Bad for you, very bad.

All new jobs are very stressful. Give yourself two months from starting - that's enough to get the lie of the land, and whether its going to work out for you.

Please try to stick with MFP. You are doing so well.

That's my twopennoth!

Opal xxx
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you are in the US and you work at least 8 hours a day, you are entitled to a 15 minute break and a 30minute lunch unless you are the only worker on duty and even then they must give you time to eat lunch, you just may have to stop to help a customer. If they do not give this to you then they are violating the law. Since you mention Co-workers it doesn't sound like this is the case. When I worked, I would get up in the morning and do my walk because it was just too hot to do during the day and I wouldn't have the excuse of being tired. If you are just going for weight loss then it doesn't matter when you eat but spreading your calories out through the day gives keeps you from having energy lows. Sit down and figure out what you need to do and get it done. The sequence of events in your life may have changed but there is still 24hours in the day.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I get it now - you are working 5 straight hrs a day and therefore not entitled to any break at all in UK employment law. Best thing is to prep everything in advance as Kriss suggests. :)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    If you are in the US and you work at least 8 hours a day, you are entitled to a 15 minute break and a 30minute lunch unless you are the only worker on duty and even then they must give you time to eat lunch, you just may have to stop to help a customer. If they do not give this to you then they are violating the law. Since you mention Co-workers it doesn't sound like this is the case. When I worked, I would get up in the morning and do my walk because it was just too hot to do during the day and I wouldn't have the excuse of being tired. If you are just going for weight loss then it doesn't matter when you eat but spreading your calories out through the day gives keeps you from having energy lows. Sit down and figure out what you need to do and get it done. The sequence of events in your life may have changed but there is still 24hours in the day.

Starting to see the resemblance in the other thread. NOWHERE IN THE US ARE YOU ENTITLE TO A BREAK! Woo, feel better now. OP, get another job.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Or stop complaining about this one.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Or stop complaining about this one.
    Thanks to everyone who offered kind advice. .. and I think if you are only going to comment in a unsupportive way it might be easier to say nothing. .. I found moving jobs very tricky. .. my team leader wasn't even aware I was starting which lead to a bumpy start. .I think if you are emotional eater and trying to change your life saying negative comments aren't great.