Macros for maintaining seem off

Maintenance of 1949 daily calories... 36 year old male, 5'7, at 149lbs

MFP is giving me macros of: 50% Carb
20% Protein
30% Fat

Does this make sense? So little Protein compared to everything else? Is either 3 more important to focus on than the others?

Replies

• rgrz82
    rgrz82 Posts: 9 Member
    As long as you're getting 1g of protein per lb then those macros are just fine. If you'd prefer 1.25-1.5 g per lb, just adjust your percentages until you reach that number.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    morrprop wrote: »
    Maintenance of 1949 daily calories... 36 year old male, 5'7, at 149lbs

MFP is giving me macros of: 50% Carb
    20% Protein
    30% Fat

Does this make sense? So little Protein compared to everything else? Is either 3 more important to focus on than the others?

MFP's macros are automatically set that way. You need to go in and change them yourself if you have your own mix.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    why not just adjust your macros in the Settings tab to be whatever you think they should be

I'm running 45/35/20 C/P/F
  • morrprop
    morrprop Posts: 13 Member
    draznyth wrote: »
    why not just adjust your macros in the Settings tab to be whatever you think they should be

I'm running 45/35/20 C/P/F

How do I know what I should be at?
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited June 2015
    morrprop wrote: »
    How do I know what I should be at?
    It's personal preference, but the default percentages are within government guidelines.
    Carb 45-65%
    Protein 10-35%
    Fat 20-35%

https://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity Files/Nutrition/DRIs/DRI_Macronutrients.pdf

You should be fine as long as you’re somewhere in the ranges given by HappyCampr1: those are the official recommendations for the US. You usually don’t need a lot of protein unless you are lifting weights, but it shouldn’t hurt to increase your protein intake some, if you want to. 10–35% protein is a pretty broad range.