Good Health and Fitness Books - A lIst of all the favorites

Options
I was wondering if you guys have any good books you have read that give good information regarding weight loss. I want to read as much as I can and educate myself and maybe this book list can also help others. Currently, I started reading THIN TASTES BETTER by Stephen Gullo. I like the book so far. Would love to get more of a list so that I can keep my focus going...thanks!

****Also, on a separate note - for all those that are starting weight loss as a new year resolution. Research shows that if you stick to it until VALENTINE'S DAY, your success for weight loss goals for the rest of the year remain high. *** Good to know! :smile:

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you guys have any good books you have read that give good information regarding weight loss. I want to read as much as I can and educate myself and maybe this book list can also help others. Currently, I started reading THIN TASTES BETTER by Stephen Gullo. I like the book so far. Would love to get more of a list so that I can keep my focus going...thanks!

****Also, on a separate note - for all those that are starting weight loss as a new year resolution. Research shows that if you stick to it until VALENTINE'S DAY, your success for weight loss goals for the rest of the year remain high. *** Good to know! :smile:
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Life Is Hard, Food Is Easy by Linda Spangle. It gets to the heart of emotional eating like no other book I've ever read ... really insightful!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    The following is the list I've started to make in my Blog... I hope it helps! :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/amunet07/view/book-list-982
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    I go to the Salvation Army once a month just to look at their diet books. haha I generally end up buying every one they have at the time. I also buy all their issues of Prevention Magazine. LOL 19 cents for a magazine and usually under a dollar for each book. Hard cover are sometimes $1.99 :love:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    The following is the list I've started to make in my Blog... I hope it helps! :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/amunet07/view/book-list-982

Just glancing at your book list amunet07:wink: ... I currently have these 2 below out of the library...... They are both memoirs...well, the first one I have glanced through and I think it's going to be an interesting read, I'm looking forward to starting it.. I've flipped through and read some but am trying to discipline myself and finish one book before the next.:huh: :noway: :sad: :laugh:

That said...I am currently reading the 2nd book listed, by Valerie Frankel...also a memoir. Hm...I was reading it and am about 1/2 though and will most likely finish it up:sick: :wink: ....it's very much an open book in her life of a zillion diets, drugs, sex, broken relationships, mother issues and anything else that helped her lose weight/get hooked on the diet mentality in the first place is listed... hm... like I said...I'll finish it up cause I seem unable to toss a book back in the pile once I've started reading it and not finish it.:laugh: :blushing: :noway: But I do secretly wish I could pry my fingers away from the pages and just simply toss it in the return box and be done with it? Yes I do!:blushing: :sad: :wink:

...I don't find I"m getting much out of it anymore... I had heard about it on here (?) originally so probably why I snagged a copy.:ohwell:

But would I recommend it?? Not sure that I would...but don't let that stop you from at least checking it out and see if it does something for you!:wink:

But after getting the book by Fulda....I think I'm going to enjoy that much better...I can relate much more to it I think from what I've sneaked a peak at. The book by Valerie Frankel I could relate to some but to me she's never really seemed overweight except after baby weight...she thinks she is...but in my eyes she's gotten way way way into that 'diet' obsession even after her small weight losses (which is all she ever really needed to lose)...I don't relate to that quite as well. But some may!! So don't write it off completely....I would definitely try the library first though and see if you can find it there.

I much prefer getting books from there first before I commit to buying...

Ok, that's my review for what it's worth:laugh: :wink: :drinker:

FC:heart:

**Half-Assed by Jennette Fulda - A Weight-loss memoir

"At age 24 and 372 pounds, Jennette thought maybe the best way to lose weight was to have her gallbladder removed. Then she decided to work her *kitten* off-literally. In her journey from full-figured to half-assed, she stops only to knock her cat off the treadmill. "

**Thin is the New Happy by Valerie Frankel - a memoir

"You've heard the phrase " the mirror is not your friend" For Valerie , the mirror was so much more than "not a friend." It was the mean girl who stole her lunch money, *****-slapped her in the ladies room, and cut the hair off her Barbie."

I'm all for hearing more book ideas:bigsmile: ...I'll think on some others on healthy eating that I've either got or have read.... not sure why I got so caught up in memoirs recently. :blushing:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I go to the Salvation Army once a month just to look at their diet books. haha I generally end up buying every one they have at the time. I also buy all their issues of Prevention Magazine. LOL 19 cents for a magazine and usually under a dollar for each book. Hard cover are sometimes $1.99 :love:

I've never tried the Salvation Army for books! What a great idea!!! I'll have to check that out. I have to go there anyway to look for chairs for my dining room table.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin cause I'd really love to see more folks sharing what they're reading or have been reading regarding healthy, nutrition, weighloss memoirs...yadda yadda yadda:wink::bigsmile:

Cause I'm curious and love to read....:tongue: