Is a fitbit worth it?

Options
I was just wondering how worth it a fitbit actually is? I'm thinking of buying one but I don't want to waste the money if they're a waste of time

Replies

• vermicajosephlugas
    vermicajosephlugas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a fitbit newbie. So far I really like it. I had fitbit flex given to me as a gift on my birthday. I know you probably questioned yourself if it worth it to get one. But I heard most people loved it and most had lost weight. Just give it a go. I noticed I started working out and eat healthy more than before. It motivates me while pushing me to be healthy. I say go for it! ;)
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If it works to motivate you it's a great tool. I don't buy into it's accuracy and I only consider the negative calories when it syncs to MFP. I typically try not to eat back many of the extra calories it gives me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That's going to vary from person to person. Some people find them a waste of time and useless. Others, like myself, find them very motivating and helpful.

I've been using a Fitbit product since 2013. I started with the Zip (gift from hubby...I was saving for the One or Flex, but he surprised me). The Zip helped me realize that I didn't even meet the calorie burn that MFP estimated for me at a Sedentary level and that exercise only helped me meet that calorie burn. Definitely an eye opener. I did end up buying and using a Flex in 2014. I'm currently using the Surge. So back to how Sedentary I previously was, well now I have MFP set to Lightly Active and only have a negative adjustment when I first wake up in the morning. I do more things now just to stay active than I would have done prior.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbits calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. When you connect your accounts, MFP adjusts your daily calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit.

Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If it works to motivate you it's a great tool. I don't buy into it's accuracy and I only consider the negative calories when it syncs to MFP. I typically try not to eat back many of the extra calories it gives me.

For some people they are fairly accurate. You can check it's accuracy by doing the following:
    • Go to your Fitbit profile
    • Take the 30 Day Average Burn and subtract your 30 Day Average Intake (both show up on your fitbit profile page)
    • Step 2 gave you a 30 Day Average Deficit. Multiply that number by 30
    • Step 3 gave you a 30 Day Total Deficit. Divide that number by 3500
    • Step 4 gave you an expected loss based on your Fitbit calorie burn and your logged intake. Compare this number to the actual scale loss over the same 30 day period.

I found the Zip and Flex models to underestimate my TDEE (by 200-300 on average). My Surge seems to be pretty darn accurate.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm new to mine, but I really like it. It gets me up and moving to see myself closer to a goal. As for accuracy that's tough to be certain. My calorie burns are significantly lower than MFP 's which seems more accurate. I love ya mfp but I've always been suspicious of those calorie burns :) So in a nutshell, if you think it will motivate you then it's absolutely worth it! ;)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I find my phone is enough for general purpose activity tracking, and was good enough for motivation at the start too. I also find the various Fitbits and similar devices aren't enough for running and cycling, so I use my phone for general tracking and a dedicated GPS running watch for running and cycling.

Both sync up with MFP.