Ladies! Working out with an IUD?

Options
So I hope this is the right forum to post this in...I've had an IUD in since I started working out in February (actually have had it a year) but I've noticed specifically this last couple months that I have been having cramps during and after workouts. I have a doc appt coming up and I intend on asking about it but I was wondering, has anyone had any complications with their IUDs because of working out? The pain isn't intolerable but it feels like a menstrual cramp and it just kinda sucks lol...thanks for any input!

I guess I will also add that sometimes after being intimate with the hubby I will feel real tender in my abdominal area as well and am wondering if its all related... :)

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems and I've been using them for quite a few years now. I'd definitely talk to your doctor.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena in for a little over a year. Started my weight loss journey in January of this year. It wasn't until I started doing the second month of Insanity (a little over a month ago) that I started to have some breakthrough bleeding and light cramping. I too have an appointment with my OB next week to talk about this. It is a little concerning. Just know you aren't alone. :smile:
  • JoinerMaus
    JoinerMaus Posts: 44
    Options
    Huh. I have had more cramping lately. I never thought there could be an exercise/IUD connection. Could it be the type of IUD. Mine is Paraguard, not Merina.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for about a year, I get the slight cramping occasionally (not always though) but the biggest problem it has caused me is depression. I have to be on medication, which makes me more susceptible to weight gain
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have the paragard. Got it 2 months ago. I've had minor craps here and there, but the biggest problem has been that I've had my period for 5 weeks. Lol.
    Hopefully your Dr can figure out what's going on. Which IUD do you have?
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have had a mirena for 5 years and just had it changed and I haven't had any problems with it. I would call the doctor, just to make sure you don't have an infection. You could have a pelvic infection that is causing that and might need an antibiotic.

It could just be your body shifting and adjusting to the weight loss too. I don't want to freak you out, but you should check, just to be sure.

Hope you feel better.
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't have Mirena...it must be paraguard (the one with copper). I didn't want to deal with hormones because I had a bad reaction to the Nuva Ring and I knew I would be nursing for awhile so I opted for this one...anyhow...we'll see what the doc says! My period has been SUPER heavy too btw...so I dunno--I'm thinking there is a connection.
  • roqoru
    roqoru Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't have Mirena...it must be paraguard (the one with copper). I didn't want to deal with hormones because I had a bad reaction to the Nuva Ring and I knew I would be nursing for awhile so I opted for this one...anyhow...we'll see what the doc says! My period has been SUPER heavy too btw...so I dunno--I'm thinking there is a connection.

Two of the side effects of paraguard are heavy bleeding and severe cramping. If the cramping is bothering you, and it's NOT an infection), see if your ob/gyn will prescribe you naproxen. It's a prescription NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), like ibuprofen on crack. It should help. But definitely check to make sure it's not something like Pelvic Inflammatory Disease or the IUD moving around (which happened to me a lot - I've never had kids) or an infection of some sort. It's not a good sign that your abdomen hurts after you have sex. Definitely get it checked out.

My guess is that it's moving around a bit, settling so to speak. It's crampy and uncomfortable, but your ob/gyn should be able to fix it. One warning, though - screwing around with IUDs can be hella expensive unless you have insurance. Just so you know.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I've had mirena for a couple years now and have not noticed any cramping due to working out. I used to get cramps every now and then at the beginning, but it's very far and few now.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I would have them recheck the position of the IUD. I have had one for 9 years now and only had problems once and it was due to the IUD slipping up a bit higher than it should have been. The doctor readjusted it and I haven't had any issues since. I have the copper T, it last 10 years.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My IUD has given me troubles since they put it in, heavy cramping, feeling like TOM 3 weeks out of the 4. I have an appt on the 8th. I just bleed yesterday and had my period last week, so something is up. I don't notice cramping or pain anymore when I'm working out....
  • millar08
    millar08 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the Mirena and have only had it for a bit over a month. I have noticed that when I work out intensely, the cramping is pretty bad. Like - 3 ibuprofen, a heating pad and it still hurts - bad. I'm not training for a big even, but I am trying to up my stamina and keep the rumored weight gain at bay. So far so good on not gaining weight, but those cramps are :(

Those of you who have asked your doctor about this, can you please post their suggestions or explanations?
  • mlandrethsf
    mlandrethsf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thank u so much...im hoping this is my issue!
  • hottoddy2
    Options
    Any updates on this? I also have Mirena and have cramping after sex and after working out. I found this conversation while doing a search on the subject. I've had my iud for over 2 years now. I've always had minor cramping on it, but since I started jogging, it's been a lot worse. I was hoping someone who has seen their dr recently would reply. I don't have a regular appointment until next year and I hate to pay for an extra visit unless I really need to.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with mine. I wonder if yours shifted in some way.
  • heatherj427
    heatherj427 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena IUD for 10 months now, after endo surgery.

First I was told I would have cramping for 1-3 months, then up to 6, then indefinitely. I still have bad cramps 3-4 days per week and have worked out steadily since April. I'm having an ultrasound tomorrow to find out if its caused any cysts to grow. You aren't the only one, but I don't think there is much you can do:(
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I get cramps after working out (and relations, too). I have had nothing but ill effects from the Mirena for the last 2.5 years (moody, depressed, no sex drive, cramps, spotting, etc.). I went to get it removed last week, but they couldn't see the strings. I had to take another day off work for an internal ultrasound and followup appointment. It is not implanted in my uterus (which was the Dr's fear), but it is a little higher up and the strings have recoiled up. I have to go back next week (and take yet another day off work) and get a camera shoved up my uterus so the Dr. can fish the stupid thing out.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've had a mirena for about a month and haven't noticed any cramps when exercising.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after a very intense workout, I'll have some cramps. Not bad. I will say that the cramps were intense for the first four months after I had it put in.
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the cramping after strenuous exercise can be a common side effect. Best to see the doctor though :)