staying motivated after a long day

Options
Hey! I'm sure I'm not the only one who comes home after a long day at work and just wants to lay down& do nothing haha how do you guys get motivated?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    That is a tough one. I don't sleep much so going to bed at midnight and being up at 4:40a doesn't help. I work 10 hour days too. Most evenings I am scheduled to play tennis and it takes a lot to get myself on court. My motivation is, I know when I start, if I can just get myself going, most the time I get into it and get a second wind to complete and compete.

I realized a long time ago, when I want to work out and have the energy I can burn a lot of calories. On those days I don't want to workout, or energy is low, if I STILL do the workout, no matter how I feel about it, I still burn the calories! Calories don't care how you feel, they burn the same. The only thing that will change is your effort, and that is what you tough through.

All the best.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Make it part of your schedule/daily activities?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Motivated to do what? Workout? I workout on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. If I miss one of those days, I have to make up the work...so I might as well not miss it.
  • jenspadafora
    jenspadafora Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I work 2 jobs and am going to school full time. By the time I get home I'm already half asleep. I know I'll feel great after a workout but you're right getting started is the hardest part! I love you're quote..calories don't care how you feel, they burn the same :) you're awesome, thanks for the help!
  • jenspadafora
    Options
    Arditarose, first of all you look amazing! What workouts do you do? And you're right, I should get into a routine and stick to it
  • arditarose
    Options
    Arditarose, first of all you look amazing! What workouts do you do? And you're right, I should get into a routine and stick to it

Thank you! I lift weights, I do a program called PHUL. It is not really a beginners program but I attained this look from doing compound lifts like those in the programs: Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women.

And yes, having a program helps. I would never make it in to the gym if I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing that day. Or if it was just to do cardio.
  • BritBoogaloo
    BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I can never do anything after a long day so I wake up an hour earlier and get my exercise done in the morning. :)
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I never can muster the energy to workout after work. If I don't go in the morning, it doesn't happen. So I guess my answer is to workout in the morning.
  • jenspadafora
    Options
    Gyms are too intimidating! But I'll have to start lifting weights more at home thanks:)
  • jenspadafora
    Options
    Ugh I am the farthest thing from a morning person& need my beauty rest :p but maybe I'll give it a try, thanks!
  • ckspores1018
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It blows. I hate getting up at 5, 4 days a week. But the alternative (doing nothing) blows more.
  • arditarose
    Options
    It blows. I hate getting up at 5 4 days a week. But But the alternative (doing nothing) blows more.

I couldn't do it. Props to you.
  • ckspores1018
    Options
    I can't do it later so props to anyone that can. The only things i can think of when i get home are how quickly i can get my pjs on and how to get to the couch in the fewest steps!