Avocado/Mackerel

Options
RachD9
RachD9 Posts: 5 Member
Basically two foods I love- however when tracked they don't fare too well. I had an avocado with toast for my breakfast and I'm already down 600 cals for the day, with 600 left

Replies

• Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just eat part of the Avocado since they are packed with calories and good fats. They brown easy so squeeze a small amount of lemon juice on it and seal it up and stick it in the fridge for later use.
  • laurekadrid
    laurekadrid Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocado and their health benefits are incredible.....so I tend to downplay the calories on the day I have some. Avocados are also high in fat, but this is good fat our brains need, and a lot of the calories are in the oil that keeps collagen in good shape. I wouldn't sacrifice such a beneficial food due to numbers! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    RachD9 wrote: »
    Basically two foods I love- however when tracked they don't fare too well. I had an avocado with toast for my breakfast and I'm already down 600 cals for the day, with 600 left

Avocado is one thing I MAKE FIT. So good, and so nutritious. I'd find lower calorie toast if it came to it.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Also, weigh your avocado. The ones I get are almost always smaller than when you just log medium avocado or something like that. Most of the avocados I get are under 300 calories when logged by weight.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    A whole Hass Avocado (black skin) is 250 calories and a great source of Fiber, Monounsaturated Fat, Vitamins & Minerals.

Mackerel is a fatty fish, like salmon, so it will be higher calorie than something like Yellowtail or Halibut.

If you want to cut down on the toast calories, Fiber One bread is like 50-100 calories per slice depending on the variety you choose.
  • RachD9
    Options
    I only ever really have toast with avocado, I can't seem to find anything else to fit?? I usually have wholemeal for a bit of fibre, but sometimes I have seeded. Maybe I'll try and find some sort of protein pancake recipe and try it that way instead. I definitely will weigh the avocado though, I knew about the fat content but the calories shocked me.
  • RachD9
    Options
    Tha
    Just eat part of the Avocado since they are packed with calories and good fats. They brown easy so squeeze a small amount of lemon juice on it and seal it up and stick it in the fridge for later use.

thankyou!! I tried to just keep half in the fridge once and when I came back to it it definitely didn't look edible. Also when I use them in smoothies and try save it for lunch it turns it from green, to a mucky brown colour :/
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Avocado is so worth the cals :p
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I only ever really have toast with avocado, I can't seem to find anything else to fit?? I usually have wholemeal for a bit of fibre, but sometimes I have seeded. Maybe I'll try and find some sort of protein pancake recipe and try it that way instead. I definitely will weigh the avocado though, I knew about the fat content but the calories shocked me.

I dice avocado and stir it through lightly steamed/stir-fried green vegies (broccoli, zucchini, beans, Celery). It makes the vegies slightly creamy. Sprinkled with salt is delicious... I have the vegies with (chicken/steak/salmon) but it would be nice with some eggs too.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Both are high good fats, but yes, fat is high calorie. Enjoy within your calorie limit.
  • RachD9
    Options

I dice avocado and stir it through lightly steamed/stir-fried green vegies (broccoli, zucchini, beans, Celery). It makes the vegies slightly creamy. Sprinkled with salt is delicious... I have the vegies with (chicken/steak/salmon) but it would be nice with some eggs too.

I've had it with toast/eggs, and it's lovely. I like the idea of the veg though! I'll try that :)

• David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Looooove both. With avocado, Tesco does slightly smaller ones that are 198 cals so with a splash of balsamic I input them as 200. Will have to try it on toast.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have a trick to save 1/2 an avacado! I put a *very* thin layer of olive oil on the cut surface, wrap in plastic wrap so it touches the surface. Store in the refrigerator. It may brown minimally, but isn't the horrible 'how can I eat that' brown. It's the oxygen that makes it brown so the oil creates a barrier that won't allow the oxygen to permeate.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I don't like regular mayonnaise, but I like avocado mayonnaise, which I whip up quickly in my little food processor: avocado, lemon juice, olive oil and some garlic. Mix it up into a tuna salad, spread on bread. It keeps for a few days, not many.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I have a trick to save 1/2 an avacado! I put a *very* thin layer of olive oil on the cut surface, wrap in plastic wrap so it touches the surface. Store in the refrigerator. It may brown minimally, but isn't the horrible 'how can I eat that' brown. It's the oxygen that makes it brown so the oil creates a barrier that won't allow the oxygen to permeate.

Exactly, although I usually use citrus on the cut surface to deter oxidation. I may try the olive oil. Hmm, honey should work too...

Also, unless you leave it for days and day, the browning is usually just a thin layer on the surface, which you can scrape off with a spoon to uncover creamy yellow-green goodness.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I love avocado. But I consider 50 grams a lot. For lunch I really try to use only 25. It ends up going a long way once you get used to it.
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh your avocado? I had half of a HUGE avocado this morning, and it was still only 128 calories. It was the largest avocado ever. I weighed it and it was less calories than I would have logged if I hadnt.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I love avocado toast too! I use half an avocado and those thin multigrain sandwich rounds so that its not a lot of calories.....ends up maybe 250 cals