Rice caculations

Options
smkcr
smkcr Posts: 5 Member
when I am entering rice for meals is that usually cooked rice in the searches? Some are verified and I have been assuming it is cooked bc that is when I am measuring it. Thanks!

Replies

• toughlove25
    toughlove25 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I believe its cooked rice though I would suggest using the add recipe option if you add things like butter or things of that nature. Sometimes you don`t know what additives are being used! Also if you eat a lot of rice. There has been a recent finding that includes coconut oil! I did not believe it at first since everyone claims coconut oil is a miracle oil but I researched it and found out it was verifiable scientifically! Apparently adding a teaspoon of the stuff to half a cup of rice cuts calories by 50%. Boil it as usual and then store it in the fridge for 12 hours. Seems crazy but somehow the starches change shape and become difficult to digest(not in a bad way). Like an apple with soluble and insoluble fiber. Here is a link to Times Magazines article on it http://time.com/3754097/rice-calories-starch/ I would not even add the calories from the oil itself. Well anyways now that I talked your ear off. Have a good night!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I go with dry weight to be safe; how much water is absorbed in the cooking process affects the final weight of the product, and measuring cups can be inaccurate for that reason. If you have a food scale, throwing it on one quickly and finding your brand with a dry weight entry is the most helpful. Don't want to get skimped out on rice. :)
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I measure the dry weight and then cooked one too just to be extra careful.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Dry/raw is most accurate for just about everything.... Cooking time and method will have a massive impact on the final weight
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    smkcr wrote: »
    when I am entering rice for meals is that usually cooked rice in the searches? Some are verified and I have been assuming it is cooked bc that is when I am measuring it. Thanks!
    Search for either "Rice - Raw" or "Rice - Cooked" depending on how you are going to weigh or measure the rice.

For reference and comparison, given adequate water to absorb, on average 1/2 cup of raw rice will expand in volume to about 1 2/3 cups cooked rice.

mfuu1zqxtr5m.jpg

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I measure mine dry
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post; was just wondering about this yesterday
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    We cook big pots of rice and it lasts for days. To solve the problem of what to use (volume measure vs. weight), I've cooked up the normal amount (3 cups dry) then weighed the cooked rice (less pot of course) and calculated the calories and macros per 1 ounce. Then it doesn't matter whether I eat it freshly cooked (when it tends to have more volume due to being "wet") or days later when it comes out of the fridge and is more compacted (due to being "dried" out).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weigh it dry. Even the USDA entry for cooked rice was off by 30% when I checked.
  • smkcr
    Options
    I go with dry weight to be safe; how much water is absorbed in the cooking process affects the final weight of the product, and measuring cups can be inaccurate for that reason. If you have a food scale, throwing it on one quickly and finding your brand with a dry weight entry is the most helpful. Don't want to get skimped out on rice. :)

Exactly! ☺️
  • smkcr
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Weigh it dry. Even the USDA entry for cooked rice was off by 30% when I checked.

I am still so confused
  • smkcr
    Options
    smkcr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

If I weigh it dry and it is a cup, what do you eat cooked?