Tips for sore feet after running?

Options
Every time I run my feet are awfully sore:( I've tried soaking, and rolling a lacrosse ball under my foot (which actually made a difference.) Just wanted to see what some of you all do when you experience this problem? Or better yet, how you prevent it?

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You might need a better pair of shoes. Stores that specialize in running shoes are often good about being able to help fit you in the best shoe for your foot and running movement. If that doesn't help, you might need to see a doctor. A friend of mine ended up with plantar fasciitis when she started running regularly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    tlblood wrote: »
    You might need a better pair of shoes.

Since it's every time, and I'm assuming you're not pushing yourself too hard, I agree with ^this. It might be worth it to talk to someone who knows about running shoes to get a better "fit" and you can go from there. If you don't live near a running store, online research has come a long way and many places allow for returns if it's an automatic no-go. Once you find a good pair, assuming there's no underlying medical issue, you'll be amazed by the difference :) If the shoes are the problem, don't let yourself get plantar fasciitis. Hurts like a B**** and can take a few months to fully heal.

• piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm a large male who runs (a clydesdale), and sore feet are a very common problem among my breed. I'd agree with the shoe thing, I had to go barefoot/zero lift to cure the plantar fascitis that I developed. Also, consider trail running. When I run roads and/or sidewalks, I always have sore feet afterward, the asphalt and concrete offer much more impact than even the hardest packed dirt. On a trail, I tend to have much less foot pain unless I stomp a lot of rocks or roots. I also have an asphalt running trail close by, and I often run alongside that, in the grass. Like running on clouds! Lastly, take a look at Chi Running. If you're pulling yourself along the road with your feet, rather than landing on your feet with them neatly under your hips, that too will cause (and did cause me) a good deal of pain.
  • Jupither
    Jupither Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? You might be overdoing it a bit. If you're running longer than you can easily sustain your muscles get tired and might not be able to absorb as much of the impact, so perhaps try going for shorter (but possibly faster) runs?
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Icing your feet for about 10-15 minutes helped me when I first started running. This was recommended by my local running shop when I was fitted for shoes. Eventually my feet stopped hurting.