Looking for other moms! Need motivation and support!

Options
laurrosk
laurrosk Posts: 3 Member
Hi! I'm a mom with a 4 year old girl and I'm looking for friends to help keep me motivated! I want some ideas for getting my daughter involved in my exercise since it's hard to get daycare and go to a gym. I also want some ideas for recipes that a toddler would eat too so I don't have to cook separate meals for everyone in our family. My husband eats like a toddler too lol. Please friend me. I'm ready to start this journey. I would like to lose weight but I also want to change my lifestyle to get healthy and be a good role model for my daughter.

Replies

• sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Will send friend request now. I have a 7 year old little boy along with 2 older children. We all eat the same meals i just tend to eat smaller portions these days x
  • AmandaCatanzano
    AmandaCatanzano Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I also have a 4 year old daughter and a one year old son... I've kind of come to terms with them not eating what I need to eat so at least for lunch I will have something different from theirs. For example, they love peanut butter and jelly so I'll usually make them a sandwich and I'll eat a soup or a turkey sandwich instead. Or buy some chicken nuggets and pop them in the oven for the kids while you make yourself a chicken breast or salad. Hope you are able to meet your goals! Good luck
  • 4Hope6613
    4Hope6613 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • Daisy9909
    Daisy9909 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too :)
  • ShyPanda93
    ShyPanda93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm a mother to a 1.5 year old. My child seems naturally interested in the exercises I do. I would suggest Just Dance games to get her interested. They are quite fun! Or look up some free YouTube exercises and do that. My child still tries to imitate me. As for recipes.. Look up super healthy kids on Facebook. They link to their website and it has tons of veggies that are enjoyed by many children
  • ladysharonda
    ladysharonda Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a mother of a 5 and 7 year old. Youtube has been a savior. You can find all sorts of fitness programs to suit your needs. I try to fit in 30-45 mins of vinyasa yoga but if I can't, I'll find a 20 min pilates or just as someone described, I look for just dance videos. My kids like to do yoga with me, but they REALLY love just dance. It's a great workout that isn't a workout. Plus between the songs gives me just enough time to deal with some disaster or another. I can never get a continuous workout when I'm home with the kids so I stay realistic and try to combine as many 10 min intervals as i can get. So far, along with watching what i eat, it seems to be working.
  • SaraD586
    SaraD586 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have a 3yr old and 3month old so know just how tough it is juggling kids and fitness :) I try and find healthy meals we will all enjoy as I want t kids to grow up with good eating habits too - I find getting my son to cook with me gets him keen to eat why we made! I'd love to be friends too as need some motivation to lose the last stone of baby weight
  • keishac
    keishac Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have an 8 year old and a 3 year old, and I do understand where you are coming from. I usually do good at work, but with the headache and hustle of the evenings, I tend to blow my diet! Portion control at work helps as well as preplanning - if I could just do that of the evenings. My husband and I have been doing some exercises of the mornings. The kiddos love to run around and dance. I have been trying to do more of that with them and of course counting my steps with the fit bit! Would love extra motivation too!!!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am a mom of two. (right now they are both 4! - Irish Twins :)

Neither will touch cooked vegetables, saved for the (forced) corn on the cob. So I cut up a bunch of fresh veggies on the side. For protein, I like to grill a lot. Sometimes I marinade or BBQ, other times it is just plain and they are fine with it.

They also like Taco Tuesday, and I make it with either lean ground beef or ground buffalo (it is super lean and tasty)
    For me: I often skip the shells and no dairy and make a taco salad out of it.

Basically, their lunch and dinners are meat with a side of fresh veggies and fruits. (They love all fruit, so that's easy)
    I also have a bread maker. And they love rice at dinner. It is pretty simple. I call my method the "Chipotle" (restaurant) method of eating. Because I chop up a whole bunch of stuff and it can assembled a bunch of different ways.

So huge salads + protein, for me (because I love them) and they have a huge variety of stuff + whatever starch I make for the family.

I don't make the kids part of my exercise routine, although sometimes they will follow along a yoga DVD.

I just don't see them swinging the kettlebell, lol :P So what I do is that I keep my workouts as short as possible.
    I don't have 90 minutes to myself.Ever.

So I try workouts like blogilates, fitness blender, zuzka light, rebounder, balance board, or C25K -- which are all short and fun.

Hope this helps. Feel free to add me if you'd like.

• Bctyummum
    Bctyummum Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old, a Looking to lose weight & tone up
    Good luck x
  • kmlortie
    kmlortie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a 21 month old and an almost 7 year old. I usually do my workouts as soon as they go to bed, about 8:30. Currently I am doing the C25K program. As for food, I make a main dish everyone will eat then put fruits and vegetables on everyone's plates. The fruits are always eaten, the vegetables are rarely finished, but our house rule is "one bit of everything". You never know until you try. So the vegetables are at least tried, rarely finished. With this type of system, I can just load up on fruits and vegetables while the family eats more of the main dish, protein and starch.
  • esmetownsend9
    esmetownsend9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine are 6 and 12, it gets easier over time! I would go to classes at night so my other half could look after them or my little one would bounce along to Zumba with me!
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of 2 (11 and 6). I always make my little portions separate from their meals. My daughter doesn't eat any fish and my son is super picky (like his dad lol) So, I prep my meals for the day and put them in the fridge. For working out I take them on walks, we do yoga videos together, and my son and I use the treadmill. Good luck on your journey and add me if you like!
  • AmandaCatanzano
    AmandaCatanzano Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm super lucky to have a gym that has free child care! As a stay at home mom, if I didn't have that- I'd be doing bodyrock.com videos.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boys - 2 and 3 years old. At this point I have a goal to lose 42 pounds, just to get out of the 200's, but overall I need to lose 100 pounds.
  • VeritoAmore74
    VeritoAmore74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,I'm a mom of 3 boys. 2 teens (16 & 14) and 1- 7yrs old! It's hard when you don't teach your kids eat healthy food, because when they are growing up they still eating the same food over and over again, even though you try to give them more healthy choices! :/
    So I suggest you teach your little one eat more healthy food such as fruits, veggies, low fat or fat free milk, no sugar added chocolate mix, etc., etc.,
  • jctk0419
    jctk0419 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just starting life as a parent, with a 3 month old at home. Hubby stays home with her while I work full time. We have a limited budget, so I'm trying to balance healthy and inexpensive lunch items...often that's a mix of healthy and not-so-much. Dinners tend to be healthier, although we could stand to eat more veggies. It'll be interesting to see how things go once our daughter gets older. We're hoping to all eat the same thing for dinner, and not all mac & cheese or chicken nuggets. For me, exercise is wearing a Fitbit and trying to get 10,000 steps in a day.

I'd love some encouragement too!