Incline

Options
I prefer to jog outside.. But when I have no choice but to jog in a treadmill I just do it. I put the treadmill incline to 1.5... Is that the correct incline to mimic as if I was jogging outside? Or is it 1.7 incline?

Replies

• Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The difference between 1.5 and 1.7% is negligible, tbh.

I have been told that to mimic "level" pavement (for example) the incline can be anywhere between 1-2%.
    Your mileage may vary ('scuse the pun!).
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    A 1.5% incline is practically nothing. Plus, how often in real life do you just run uphill constantly, and
    at the same incline?
    Look for a setting that says something like "hills" or "variable". You want the one which adjusts itself.
    Start off low/slow, so you're challenged, but not too much. Increase the level as you get more fit.

One will act more like actual turf, the profile looks like hills. The change in incline is gradual & somewhat
    random.
    For a 20-minute workout, it might look like: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2

The other alternates minutes at low/no incline with minutes at higher incline, which steps up 4-5 times, then
    drops back to the lowest. When I do this, I usually use a setting between #12 & #15 (of 20 levels... I'm not
    very far along yet), so the lower incline might be 4% and the steepest minutes are at maybe 15% incline.
    For a 20-minute workout, it could look like: 2, 3, 4, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3, 7, 3, 4, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3, 7, 3, 2, 1
  • launica20132013
    launica20132013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I will try it.. Next time I'm on a treadmill!
    MKEgal wrote: »
    A 1.5% incline is practically nothing. Plus, how often in real life do you just run uphill constantly, and
    at the same incline?
    Look for a setting that says something like "hills" or "variable". You want the one which adjusts itself.
    Start off low/slow, so you're challenged, but not too much. Increase the level as you get more fit.

One will act more like actual turf, the profile looks like hills. The change in incline is gradual & somewhat
    random.
    For a 20-minute workout, it might look like: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 3, 4, 4, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2

The other alternates minutes at low/no incline with minutes at higher incline, which steps up 4-5 times, then
    drops back to the lowest. When I do this, I usually use a setting between #12 & #15 (of 20 levels... I'm not
    very far along yet), so the lower incline might be 4% and the steepest minutes are at maybe 15% incline.
    For a 20-minute workout, it could look like: 2, 3, 4, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3, 7, 3, 4, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3, 7, 3, 2, 1

• launica20132013
    Options
    Ok.
    Thank you :)
    The difference between 1.5 and 1.7% is negligible, tbh.

I have been told that to mimic "level" pavement (for example) the incline can be anywhere between 1-2%.
    Your mileage may vary ('scuse the pun!).

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You don't need any incline at all to mimic outdoor running unless you are running steadily faster than 5 min/mi.
  • launica20132013
    Options
    Good to know! Thank you!
    But I'm not there yet lol when I run I do it at 4.3... That's so I can breathe appropriately and no pass out! Lol
    I'm not fit yet it have much endurance
    scottb81 wrote: »
    You don't need any incline at all to mimic outdoor running unless you are running steadily faster than 5 min/mi.

• scottb81
    Options
    There was a study done somewhere that I read once that addressed this, I believe in terms of energy expenditure. At the speeds most of us run there is no difference between outdoor and indoor. However, once you get up to about 5 min/mi outdoors there is a wind resistance component that is missing on the treadmill that can be made up for with a 1% incline.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hm interesting. I didn't know that
  • scottb81
    Options
    Here is the article I read a while back. http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id110.html
  • launica20132013
    Options
    Awesome!! Thank you!
    scottb81 wrote: »
    Here is the article I read a while back. http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id110.html