Whole wheat bread, wraps, pitta or bagels?

Options
Which is the healthier lunch option?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    None of them are "healthier" than one another.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Whichever one fits into your goals best.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    Whichever one fits into your goals best.
    This plus the one you actually like.

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them. Not all at once but I mix it up so I'm not eating the same in my meals.
    I like bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon but I'll eat wraps with grilled spicy chicken and veg, pitta with houmous and bread with a salad.

All perfectly good. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The one you like more and can fit in your calories and nutrient goals. Whole wheat anything has more fiber and protein, but whether you will benefit or not depends on what else you are eating.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like that fits into your allotment.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'd rather salad.... So much more food for the same carbs!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    all are fine but I avoid bagels, lots of unexpected calories
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    They are pretty much the same stuff just made differently, so just eat what fits and enjoy!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I eat all of them, but bagels are a rarity. Instead of a bagel or hamburger bun, I am more likely to go with the sandwich thins that Brownberry (OroWheat in other parts of the country) make. You get both halves but the calories are similar to one slice of bread.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I eat Aunt Millie's Whole Grain 35 calorie a slice bread. Not dry like so many other diet breads.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I personally like Pitta bread for my lunch because I can stuff loads of salad inside them and it doesn't fall out of make the bread soggy. I love bagels but they're hard to fill. A wrap with some cheese, salad and sweet chilli sauce is another of my lunch favourites.
    I should stop, this is making me hungry.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    All of em.....carbs.....nom nom nom :D
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like the low carb wraps that I have been finding. I use them for lunch and they don't blow the budget. I use mustard instead of mayo to avoid the added calories. I like salads but if you don't make it yourself the to go options get out of hand pretty quickly on the calorie count.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Which is the healthier lunch option?

The whole wheat bread is probably fortified with more vitamins, so would be the healthier option.

Non of them offer anything amazing outside of calories and some insoluble fibre, so pick the one you enjoy the best.

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Functionally speaking, they are all equivalent, when made with the same "class" of ingredients ... Nutritionally, there are differences because the standard serving sizes are different for each product, as well as supplementary ingredients.

Whole grain > whole wheat > white for the fiber content and some micro nutrients, all else being equal ( same amounts of added sugars, etc ).

Personally, I use a high fiber wrap. They are kinda pricey, like $6 for an 8 count package ... but for that I get 13g fiber ( 19g carb total ) and 5g protein for only 120 cals, which helps me meet my daily fiber goals.
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You know what I like? Wasa flat bread. Lots of fiber in those, low calorie, and they are delicious! I have replaced all bread, bagels, etc. with Wasa and it has upped my fiber immensely. You can put anything you want on Wasa, and it wont fall apart either. They are made from whole grains. Try them. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You know what I like? Wasa flat bread. Lots of fiber in those, low calorie, and they are delicious! I have replaced all bread, bagels, etc. with Wasa and it has upped my fiber immensely. You can put anything you want on Wasa, and it wont fall apart either. They are made from whole grains. Try them. :)

I gt them occasionally. I just don't like how they cut up the inside of my mouth from being so hard.

• ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I eat Aunt Millie's Whole Grain 35 calorie a slice bread. Not dry like so many other diet breads.

I'm trying this! The 35 calorie bread I eat definitely is dry.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    In order to get a accurate answer more info is needed.

First you would have to define what "healthier" means to you.

Second, you would have to list all the nutritional information for each selection.

Or, you could eat whichever one you want.