natural body type?

Options
Hi all, I have a question that I think might be a little obvious or silly. I'm just wondering how you go about figuring out your natural body shape or frame type - I mean what am I working with ? what is a realistic goal for me in terms of shape? I have been losing for a few mths and am 11lbs down with about a stone to go maybe less. But I'm having trouble visualising the type of body I can aim for , and having mental images helps my motivation more than anything. I'm 5ft 4, 27yr old female, currently 142lbs wanting to get curvy toned not skinny , currently measurements are 38"-28"-35" lost about 2inches from each of those in recent months. I have naturally fairly thick calves and broadish hips and shoulders - these won't change I'm sure! I don't have a tiny frame, and like the curvy hourglass look with a flatish tummy. Ive had two children one natural one c section so I am not getting my hopes up regarding having a gorgeous tum. Does anyone have any idea what I could aim for? Pics or websites would be helpful. I could attach pics if I had any clue how to do it.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you will be a smaller version of what you are now.

I am an hour glass and have always been an hour glass...I am just a smaller one now.
  • wildflowerherbal
    wildflowerherbal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out what I am that's the problem ! I think I look kinda hourglass, I've got a definite waist now, what would anyone say based on my stats? (how to I post pics?!)
    Thanks x
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i am an hourglass
    <
    thats me
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter? For what purpose is this information important?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's hard to say really.
    You say you have "Broadish Hips", but at 35" that is quite small for a hip measurement (mine are 38" :#;) ).
    Maybe have a look at this website. http://www.mybodygallery.com
    You can put your Stats in (or stats of the weight you're aiming for) and see women of all different body types.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Look in wikipedia under "Female Body Shapes". It gives you detailed explanations based on bust-waist-hip measurements.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Does it matter? Set goals in the areas of body fat percentage, bmi, fitness, flexibility, strength.

You will probably be pleasantly surprised no matter what you look like when you're done losing weight.

I don't know if this will give you a complex, but I like plugging in various measurements into www.mybodygallery.com to see how certain weights look on my height, different body types, etc.
  • wildflowerherbal
    Options
    I can't figure out what I am that's the problem ! I think I look kinda hourglass, I've got a definite waist now, what would anyone say based on my stats? (how to I post pics?!)
    Thanks x
    It's hard to say really.
    You say you have "Broadish Hips", but at 35" that is quite small for a hip measurement (mine are 38" :#;) ).
    Maybe have a look at this website. http://www.mybodygallery.com
    You can put your Stats in (or stats of the weight you're aiming for) and see women of all different body types.

Cheers That's exactly what I was after !
  • wildflowerherbal
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

I've already said it helps my motivation more than anything else. I've got a body ideal board but I don't know how realistic it is because I'm short and quite thick and muscular and clearly never going to be tiny. You don't have to think it's important, honestly I dont mind ;)
  • wildflowerherbal
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »
    Look in wikipedia under "Female Body Shapes". It gives you detailed explanations based on bust-waist-hip measurements.

Fab thank you!
    leggup wrote: »
    Does it matter? Set goals in the areas of body fat percentage, bmi, fitness, flexibility, strength.

You will probably be pleasantly surprised no matter what you look like when you're done losing weight.

I don't know if this will give you a complex, but I like plugging in various measurements into www.mybodygallery.com to see how certain weights look on my height, different body types, etc.

perfect thanks. Yes I've set the above goals, and the website looks ideal. I need realistic pics to aim for because I need motivation boosts daily in order to continue. I feel like I'm doing well but this is .My third attempt at losing Wright and I always get disillusioned. The key this time has been eating enough fats. I'm vegan and this helps me feel full.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    After weight loss I just become a smaller, less exaggerated version of the shape I was before - a pear. My hips are much closer to the width of my shoulders now but will always be bigger - that's just how things are.

If you have only a stone to lose I can't see that prompting a total change in body shape, because you don't have lots of fat masking your natural outline at the moment - I might be wrong though, as weight comes off where it wants to!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I've already said it helps my motivation more than anything else. I've got a body ideal board but I don't know how realistic it is because I'm short and quite thick and muscular and clearly never going to be tiny. You don't have to think it's important, honestly I dont mind ;)

I get that. I had no real end goal in the past so when I got to pic one in profile I was kind of lost. I didn't see what people saw so I lost everything I worked hard for. We can have an end goal but we do not know for sure that is what it will be. I would say just keep working towards your goal and reevaluate when you get there. I know I might have to go lower in weight than projected.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    you will be a smaller version of what you are now.

I am an hour glass and have always been an hour glass...I am just a smaller one now.

I used to be a curvy, hourglass shape...... Now I'm pretty much a rectangle. But with a better bum. And more shoulders.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Idk...My body looks totally different now than it did when I started. I always thought my sister was so skinny and that we had different body shapes, but now that we are a similar weight, we actually look very much alike. Maybe there is someone in your family shaped like you? You need to focus more on your diet and exercise, not what your end goal body shape should be, as you don't have much control over that. I would like to be curvier, but that's just not what my body does. (kinda what livingleanlivi said above^^)
  • AriaColl
    AriaColl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Does it matter?

So funny. I don't care a bit about my body fat percentage but I googled hours to try to find out what shape I am. I needed to know what people looked like with my height and a certain weight so I could figure out how much I wanted to lose. Because people do carry weight different! I wanted at least some number to go on since I was never thin and can't remember a weight in which I felt great.

• Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I really REALLY want to have a more defined waistline to be an hourglass. I'm currently 41-36-41, but my shoulders are super broad. I think I'm gonna be a rectangle when all is said and done.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have been borderline skinny and I have been very obese. Through it all, I have been pretty much an "H" shape (which became closer to an apple at my highest weight). Your basic body type does not change significantly because it is mostly in the bone structure and where you lay down the fat layers. It can become exaggerated by more or less muscle, more or less fat, or more or less definition to the muscles, but the basic structure will always be there.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I really REALLY want to have a more defined waistline to be an hourglass. I'm currently 41-36-41, but my shoulders are super broad. I think I'm gonna be a rectangle when all is said and done.

That's me. Always a rectangle. I have long bones which means long arms and legs and a short torso with wide shoulders, wide back, wide hips, wide rib cage, etc.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My waist has always been about 10" away from hips .. apart from when I was pregnant

ain't nothing can be done to change that

When I had a 32" waist my hips were 42-43" .. now I'm 27" against 38.5" .. it's a never-changing ratio it seems

you is what you is
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I think a "body ideal" board, fitspiration or whatever, is a bad idea. You can feed your muscles with controlled stimulus and protein, or lose fat all over, but there's a lot you can't decide in advance. Having goals is good, but an unrealistic goal can do more harm than good.