What was your moment?

Options

Replies

• Christina_BS
    Christina_BS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There were many moments that showed me that I cannot continue this way. But the main thing that made me do something against the real eating disorder was that I realized that I do not want to give my son this kind of example. Also, I could no longer run after him because I was out of breath very quickly, sports and any physical activity was becoming difficult. I hated my body so much that I could hardly imagine that my son would be able to love his mom this way.....
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had a baby and when she was four months old I had only lost 13 pounds total. I was tired of feeling gross and uncomfortable and it being able to fit into any of my clothes. Then I saw a picture of myself at this time and I was "wow. It is time". So I made a plan. That plan has continued to evolve and 6 months and 20 pounds later, I am so glad I stuck with it!
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »
    One day I told myself I didn't want to be another middle-aged man who had let himself go.

I'll second that!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to get laid.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my scale said a number I swore I would never get to
    also I was tired of lifting that extra weight-see profile pic
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I got to a size 40 pant size. At that point, I refused to buy new pants that fit better, and instead decided to make me fit my pants better.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when I stepped on the scale last summer. Two summers ago, I lost twenty pounds by riding my bicycle (yes, it is possible), but then I regained it during the winter months. Not wanting to admit that I weighed as much as I did, I began riding my bicycle again and measuring myself instead of weighing. Since I was seeing my size decrease, I assumed I was losing weight. Last fall, I decided to step on the scale so I could celebrate my success. 268, two pounds lighter than my heaviest weight ever. All of the work I'd done during the summer was pointless, because I'd been telling myself that I could get by with eating whatever, since my exercise was burning it off. At that point, I decided I was going to figure out how many calories I'd been consuming. I never did figure it out, because once I started tracking my calories, I began eating less.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My moment was my husband telling me I was chubby and it was time to lose the baby weight and he wasn't attracted to me. He was vile about it. That was a year ago. For many other reasons in addition, I dumped him and have lost 11lbs now with about a stone to go. Immensely satisfying to see him checking me out when I drop the kids off but I'd never dirty myself with his toxicity again . Life is gooood!

This makes me sad. :(
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Sitting at my desk at work eating a HUGE plate of Indian food from the cafeteria. Just working and shoveling it in, not even aware of the taste or how much I was eating. I thought what I was eating was good for me until a friend walked by and said "Oh yeah, I love Inidan food too but too bad it's so bad for you!". Huh? I started googling what I was eating and was absolutley shocked at the amount of calories I was shoveling in. I had not exercised in years either. I started thinking about my diet... Bacon, egg & cheese bagel sandwich for breakfast, large coffee extra cream extra sugar, huge portions for lunch (entree's, subs, burgers, pizza), snacks in the afternoon consisting of cookies, maybe a bag of chips, a few soda's a day and ending my day with a huge home-cooked meal... or ordering out - Chinese food, pasta, subs, pizza, etc... I couldn't remember the last glass of water I had that day, or if I even had one at all! I could suddenly feel my butt rubbing against the sides of my office chair... Something in my head snapped. I dumped the rest of my lunch and guzzled water for the remainder of the day, totally disgusted with myself. The very next morning I started my journey and never looked back. I was in a 14/16 pants heading toward an 18. Today I am in a 0/1. Hell yeah! :smile:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I sold my house really quickly without having a new one to live in and had to do a short term rental. Rented a town house and it was completely vertical living. I realized that I was having issues carrying laundry and babies up and down 4 flights of stairs. It was very eye opening.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of moments, or factors, come together at about the same time. Probably the biggest/scariest to me was my sleep apnea. My sleeping got worse and worse (more snoring, more feeling tired) two summers ago. I had several nights when I woke myself up completely by gasping for air and feeling like I was going to pass out.

That fall I had a sleep study done and my results were terrible. My AHI was 87, which meant that I stopped breathing or breathed extremely shallowly 87 times per hour. The few weeks it took to get a CPAP were terrifying for me. My husband was out of town for work and I was convinced that I was going to die in my sleep and our daughter would wake up to find my body. It was awful.

I knew that I wanted to lose weight and get in shape but I had to get the sleep situation fixed first because I was so completely exhausted. (Imagine going to bed and having somebody poke you to wake you up every 45 seconds for hours on end. Even if you didn't remember waking up all through the night, you would be exhausted in the morning.) So once I got the CPAP, it took a good 6-8 weeks to start to feel well-rested and then I was able to better focus on everyday life and what I needed to do to get healthy.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My father is diabetic, and he found out when he was 30 or so. His parents also both were diagnosed with diabetes, though they were in their 70s at the time. Both my parents are obese and I have a younger sister who is 16 and starting to slide in that direction, as I did. I want to be a good example to her - I'm 10 years older, and should be the leader. I don't want her to end up like me, over 300 lbs in the prime of her life.
  • TruCowboysFan812
    TruCowboysFan812 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to lose weight but never had the will power to stop eating junk food. I knew I was overweight but I stayed away from scales at all costs just so I didn't have to face it. One day at work I was on lunch break and decided it was finally time to face the music, so I got on a scale and I was horrified. I was 15 pounds away from 300 and I KNEW at that moment that I couldn't go on like this anymore. That day, I cut out all fast food and candy, I almost completely stopped drinking pop(I was drinking 4 or 5 a day) and I started counting calories. Its been about a month and I have lost ten pounds but I've got a LONG way left to go before I'll feel good about my weight. I must admit that its nice to see the numbers on the scale going down instead of up, though.
  • RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I caught myself in a mirror that took me totally by surprise...not even a split second to realize there was a mirror, so I didn't have the chance to "suck in" or make myself "mirror ready". I think I finally saw what other people see. I almost didn't recognize myself. It was a really, really bad moment and unfortunately ruined the rest of what was a very enjoyable double date night. That was 9 weeks and 38 lbs ago and I am still going strong! I have 119 more lbs to lose before I get to my goal weight but every day is another step in the right direction. I haven't felt this good in a long time!
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've never been majorly overweight, but have wanted to be thinner and struggled with losing weight since I was like 11 years old. I've gone up and down for years but I am getting married this December and I feel like I owe it to myself to give myself the body I really want for my wedding. I'm only 20 lbs away from my goal weight (lost 10), and I don't want to rob myself of feeling truly awesome that day.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had lost 60 pounds over ten years ago and gained it all back and more. When my dad was dying he made me promise that I would lose all the weight I had gained back. That was back in 2012, it took me another two years to finally get started.

My weight loss started when my daughter was born. She is a year old now and I have lost 27 pounds (47 pounds from my highest pregnancy weight). Seeing pictures of me shock me as I think I am smaller then what I am. Even looking in mirrors next to people who I think I'm the same size as and seeing that I'm a lot bigger is shocking to me. That helps fuel the fire as well.

• Fivefarthings
    Fivefarthings Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It was that old classic moment of seeing a recent photograph of myself and going 'wow I look FAT!'
  • rav_kathj
    rav_kathj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are lots of things that didn't lead to the decision:
    Trying out hanggliding and the harness very nearly not closing.
    Barely fitting into a safety jumpsuit when having to install software on a ship for work.
    Getting sleep apnoea, having to wear a cpap.
    Having to give up tennis,badminton and hillwalking.
    Going sightseeing, barely able to get to the top of malham cove,and subsequently being ditched by bf of 11 years because "I was so fat I was practically disabled".
    Having a lot of investigation into a knee problem, being told i needed an operation.
    Getting terrible headaches because despite the cpap I just wasn't sleeping.
    Allowing myself to become more and more isolated, realising i was not going to events that involved standing, walking, or basically being seen in public.
    Being prepared to pay for first class trains because standard seats are just too small, feeling guilty for taking up part of your neighbour's seat on buses.
    A lifetime of accepting restrictions- i'll do that when i'm thin/happy/loved....

What i'm hoping will be the turning point ?
    Being nearly 20st when I joined slimming world in January, and the cumulative effect of all the above. Very slowly I am coming down: only 22lb so far but I reason that if it took 50 years to gain the weight, I should be prepared for it to take a few to lose it?
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I had several things that finally got a crow bar under my butt. Realizing that I was 218, higher than my second preganancy weight and I am 5'4". Looking at pictures and seeing a person in a fat suit. Some how I don't feel like I am as large as I am. Getting out of breath trying to tie my shoes because my gut is in the way. Looking like the Michelin tire guy from the shoulders to my hips. Participatintg in a mud run with girlfriends who are smaller and they have to help you up off the ground after taking a picture because you can't get your balance. You see the people who witnessed this and just feel like they are thinking 'Poor girl' or just judging you. I just wanted to crawl off and cry somewhere. After being here for six months I have only gotten myself 12lbs down. I know I need to work harder and log more diligently to speed up the process. I am tired of being the fat girl in the picture.
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Went clubbing and saw pictures that other people took!