Over 40? - EAT PROTEIN WITHIN ONE HOUR OF EXERCISE

Options
RBrigzy
RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
According to research I have just listed to on the BBC's Radio 4 programme you should eat protein WITHIN ONE HOUR of exercise - as only is this window of time will your muscles absorb protein and build muscle bulk.

The entire programme is VERY interesting and you can listen by following this link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tdnjl

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't build muscle just because you eat protein exercise and other nutrients also factor in. The window you quote is just a window where your body is most receptive to taking in protein in or to repair and rebuild post exercise
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Suggest you listen to the programme before deciding your view.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The nutrient timing myth for strength training has been debunked. Overall opinion is that as long as the pre-trained state is well fueled you can eat up to 3 -4hrs after training with no detrimental consequences to muscle protein synthesis.
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    Again I suggest you listen to the programme.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Does the podcast say what happens when you don't eat protein within an hour of exercising?
  • RBrigzy
    Options
    zyst - the research shows - if you don't then muscles miss the opportunity to "fill up" with available protein - so muscle build up is lessened. Honestly have a listen when you have a spare half hour.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    RBrigzy wrote: »

and I suggest you do further research.

One of the most influential studies conducted that helped launch the anabolic window myth was conducted by Dr John Ivy. Dr Ivy's test subjects were endurance athletes not strength athletes. Both athletes use different metabolic energy pathways to fuel their activity and the impact on glycogen stores is completely different. His findings were very accurate.... for endurance athletes NOT strength athletes.

• Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Does the podcast say what happens when you don't eat protein within an hour of exercising?

The world will stop spinning on it's axis,and you will shrivel up and die!!!!!

ok not really :D .

• RBrigzy
    Options

and I suggest you do further research.

One of the most influential studies conducted that helped launch the anabolic window myth was conducted by Dr John Ivy. Dr Ivy's test subjects were endurance athletes not strength athletes. Both athletes use different metabolic energy pathways to fuel their activity and the impact on glycogen stores is completely different. His findings were very accurate.... for endurance athletes NOT strength athletes.

You obviously have not listened to the podcast - this research relates to older people
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

The world will stop spinning on it's axis,and you will shrivel up and die!!!!!

ok not really :D .

That explains yesterday. :tongue: I'm not a big protein eater, so I guess my muscles will continue their lovely deterioration because I don't eat within an hour of my workouts.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    zyst - the research shows - if you don't then muscles miss the opportunity to "fill up" with available protein - so muscle build up is lessened. Honestly have a listen when you have a spare half hour.

You don't know how to build muscle. Yes I know about this window you are talking about. It has been talked about for over a decade.
  • Lifeonmars2015
    Lifeonmars2015 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    my experience is limited to me only, 45 years old, 16:8 daily fasting, low carb diet. I train fasted, dont eat until 12pm, nearly 2-3 hours after my training, and still lose fat and build muscle. Every persons approach is different. One guy's viewpoint is just that
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options

You obviously have not listened to the podcast - this research relates to older people

and at what age do I need to book myself in to get fitted with this little timer to make sure my anabolic window is properly installed?

Please think about what you are saying and instead of regurgitating some radio show go and research the actual science.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @RBrigzy Thank you for sharing this, I found it very interesting as someone who

a) is well over 40
    b) has severe muscle wastage and
    c) has just started using resistance bands.

Please think about what you are saying and instead of regurgitating some radio show go and research the actual science.

The person who said it on "some radio show" is Paul Greenhaff, an actual scientist.

Paul Greenhaff is Professor of Muscle Metabolism at the University of Nottingham. He heads the Metabolic and Molecular Physiology Research Group at Nottingham, is Deputy Director of the MRC/ARUK Centre for Musculoskeletal Ageing Research and is a member of the ARUK Centre for Sport, Exercise and Osteoarthritis. Paul is also a member of BBSRC Research Panel A, a member of the Editorial Boards of Acta Physiologica and the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports.

• RBrigzy
    Options
    Thanyou CurlyCockney, I will ignore the folk that didn't listen or take the time to understand the science.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanyou CurlyCockney, I will ignore the folk that didn't listen or take the time to understand the science.

Only a fool thinks one single source (especially a podcast - which is not inherently scientific) is the end-all be-all of science.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Came to see if already posted, leaving happily.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Options
    @RBrigzy Thank you for sharing this, I found it very interesting as someone who

a) is well over 40
    b) has severe muscle wastage and
    c) has just started using resistance bands.

The person who said it on "some radio show" is Paul Greenhaff, an actual scientist.

Paul Greenhaff is Professor of Muscle Metabolism at the University of Nottingham. He heads the Metabolic and Molecular Physiology Research Group at Nottingham, is Deputy Director of the MRC/ARUK Centre for Musculoskeletal Ageing Research and is a member of the ARUK Centre for Sport, Exercise and Osteoarthritis. Paul is also a member of BBSRC Research Panel A, a member of the Editorial Boards of Acta Physiologica and the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports.

Now go back and look at what the OP wote........ 'you should eat protein WITHIN ONE HOUR of exercise - as only is this window of time will your muscles absorb protein and build muscle bulk'.

Do you honestly believe that the human body has a timer that begins ticking the second you finish physical exertion and will only run for 1 hour then immediately shut off thereby ceasing muscle protein synthesis and terminating metabolic activity?

Good lawd there's simply not enough face palm in the world :/