Guilty

Options
I have fallen off track for the past three weeks and have gained most of the weight back. I took me 4 months to lose 17 pounds and three weeks to gain 12! It's easy to lose track, and soooo difficult to get back on track. I have even found myself hiding in my own house to eat crap and I live alone. It's ridiculous, I know, but that's my story. Thanks for letting me vent

Replies

• dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Did you stop logging your food? Go back into your food diary to look at what you were eating those 4 months that you lost the 17 lbs. You should get rid of the crap that you have at home so you won't be tempted to eat them. Stop hiding in your house and go for a walk or hit the gym. Today is a new day, so start today.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Feel guilty for running over the neighbor's dog or forgetting your grandma's birthday or not sending the RSVP back for your best friend's wedding.

Don't feel guilty about overeating.

Just take today to regroup, write out a grocery list and buy those things, and then write down a daily plan of attack for the next week. You can pull it together and everything is going to be okay.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hard to see 12lbs in 3 weeks...probably a bit of water weight in there too.

Get back on track and watch that go away.

I say that as when I go south during the winter I can be almost guaranteed at least 7lbs in one week...but then when I get back 4lbs goes fast..usually in a day or two.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi. You can do this. First it is likely at least a few of those twelve pounds are water weight. I admire your courage for sharing. Honesty is so important to ultimate weight loss success. If you get back on it now. It is quite possible to reverse this relapse in a decent amount of time. More than that if you see your goal as long term health than the time doesn't matter. Just that you aren't moving in the wrong direction. Even maintaining can be progress if you have been gaining. You can do this!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This is my story too. The comments have helped me and I'm sure we are not the only 2.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is my story too. The comments have helped me and I'm sure we are not the only 2.

Certainly not.

My guess is that the majority of people who are on MFP for weight loss reasons have backslid at least once or twice.
  • run_cmc
    run_cmc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been making myself 'earn' my junk food! I don't keep snakcs or sweets at home, and when I want something I have to go out and get it. There's a trader joes 3 miles from my apartment that's my "go-to" snack place and I've promised myself if I can walk or run there, I can have a treat! maybe if you do something like that? It works better for me to know I can have something if I really want it, than to cut it out completely.

I also live alone and have a tendency to want to shut myself in (I'm an introvert) so I also promise myself I'll see the sun at least once a day. 90% of the hurdle is actually walking out the door for me, so that small daily commitment keeps me from vegging out all day.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My guess is that many of the 12 pounds you recently gained are water+food weight, not genuine fat. Even when I find myself gorging I only gain 1-2 pounds a week max.

And yes, many of us gain, and lose, and gain. I find myself constantly fighting off the last 10-15 pounds.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    My guess is that many of the 12 pounds you recently gained are water+food weight, not genuine fat. Even when I find myself gorging I only gain 1-2 pounds a week max.

And yes, many of us gain, and lose, and gain. I find myself constantly fighting off the last 10-15 pounds.
    Yep, I think this is right. Most of us have done this, to some degree (myself, to a large degree!)
    Get back on the horse and start logging again!