How do you fight the "evil" inner voice?

Options
So I keep bruising my butt and falling off the wagon and all because I give in to the little voice that keeps telling me I deserve the splurge. I just had braces put on for the second time. Yesterday I had my wire replaced so I told myself "go ahead, have that chocolate shake. You're mouth will probably be too sore to eat later anyway and the cold will help the soreness." Then I eat easy mac last night because "you just had a stressful drive home through tornado warnings and your stomach is growling and the milk is about to expire. Might as well get something to eat."

So can anyone share their tricks to ignore this little voice and it's dastardly logic? (Other than sheer will power of course because clearly I don't have much of that)

Replies

• angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that the gratification I would get from the sweets etc. is not worth the guilt I'd get afterward. I try to think beyond what I'm about to put into my mouth. of course this isn't 100% successful, but it helps the majority of the time for me.
  • aimgirl
    aimgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one day to 'splurge' but I don't go too crazy and I make sure I exercise a lot on that particular day.
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I look at how many calories/sugar/fat is in something and decide if it's worth eating and how much running ill have to do to burn off those calories. It's usually never worth it to me. I have sweets and junk now and again...but I usually make myself "do the time for doing the crime" and jog a little more the next day... once weight starts falling off then I really don't want junk since I worked so hard to lose that weight. Good luck!
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    If I give in and go over calories, I try to offset it with exercise or by eating "better" for the rest of the week. A milkshake here and there won't kill you if the rest of your week's worth of food is mostly good stuff.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    You just have to consider how bad you really want to make this change. There are positive triggers as well as negative triggers. Find what motivated you to begin this journey in the first place. Keep your eye on the prize. No one can make you want to do this. You have to dig deep and find something within yourself. Good luck!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    At the moment, that evil voice is stronger than me. I know I'll get over it again and will be fine again, tomorrow, or if not tomorrow a day later. At the moment I just give in.
  • runninglynnie
    Options
    Tell your inner voice that you want some variety and not just food-based rewards. Tell them you want to splurge on a nice summer pedicure or a new piece of jewelery.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The only way I can avoid splurges is to plan ahead (which is probably why times when I have to be out of town are such a train wreck lol) - make sure you always have something easy to make or leftovers or whatever around, keep a homemade trail mix or dried fruit with you, that sort of thing.

Good luck!
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I would say, you have to think about the fact that you are making excuses. While you're making them.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do think about how many calories and the awful things they put in most foods before I eat them and if I do that most of the time I will not eat whatever it is because I know although it might taste nice at the time. It's over in 2 minutes and then the only feeling I'm left with is "meh, I could have left that" or guilt!

I remind myself how good I feel when I get on the scales at the end of the week and I've lost weight. It encourages me to carry on eating well.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You need to find comfort in something that isn't food. Like baths, or a hug from a friend or painting your nails. Comfort is not to be found in a chocolate shake. You'll just feel even worse after.

Eating junk isn't being kind to yourself. It is cruelty.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Oh I can so relate to this. I have been doing it for years and giving into my little inner voice telling me, you need this - it'll cheer you right up etc etc... but you know I have come to realise that it doesnt. I may get that momenteral oooooooooo chocolate your so tasty and this is pure bliss but after that comes the guilt and the self loathing and the hate and then the punishment. So I have decided, what do I prefer.... that moment of bliss or the hours, days (or in my case a lifetime) of hating myself. So when I want chocolate or that treat I reason with myself... or if I really cant battle it I compromise... I will have something that will satisfy but is not as bad as the full blown naughty!!

I also find planning out ahead of time what I am going to eat for the day, so I know what is it I am having and dont leave anything to chance.

Hope this helps. You're def. not on your own on this one. :flowerforyou:
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Its hard to fight that voice. You just have to try to stay strong, and if you really want to splurge try compromising, instead of a large shake, get a small, or get a fat free custard instead of a shake. Dont beat yourself up about making a bad choice though, we all do it, just use it to remind yourself to make a better choice the next time :)
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    I strictly follow my diet Monday-Saturday.. and then Sunday.. I allow myself one cheat.. I usually choose a skinny latte and a donut (or 2) but sometimes I feel like going out to eat, so I'll wait till dinner and indulge myself.. but I know that every Sunday.. I'm going to get something I want!!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this...
    How about changing the idea of what you deserve?
    I had to focus on changing my "I deserve this chocolate bar" to "I deserve to be treated with respect and concern... even by myself."
    It's a big mindset change, but one worth making :)
  • ewtx1000
    ewtx1000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is emotional eating, whether it's for celebration or stress related. It requires discipline to steer clear of it and give yourself another outlet. I remind myself what that splurge will cost me in terms of calories and think... Can I afford it? If I want chocolate that bad, a hershey kiss at 22 calories might do the trick. If I'm also getting hungry then think about a sugar free hot cocoa. Sometimes a 5 calorie sugar free mint is enough. Maybe all your body really needs is a glass of water. If you have a mac and cheese craving, find lowfat cheese like laughing cow.

Arm yourself with smart choices for the things you like and retrain yourself to go to them instead of your regular comfort foods.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Scream out loud, "Get behind me Satan"
  • reedymbr
    reedymbr Posts: 2
    Options
    thats what ruby calls the beast....i call it E.D. for eating disorder...ED tells me "its okay to go ahead & have those cookies...who will know??? i will never tell on you" and "you have worked out so hard you DESERVE a little treat." im definately a self-sabtoger because i dont feel worthy to be healthy. then someone might notice me. its really a never ending battle but my self-esteem and confidence has increased since i began this journey last year. i lost 56lbs last summer....met a guy who was very overweight....well you know the rest of the story..gained 19lbs.. back and have spent 2011 trying to get it off it took me until mid-april to do it. i have managed to waste another month just losing and gaining the same 8lbs so i need to really focus on shutting out ED and listening to my heart....whose desire is to be healthy.

something that has really helped me was from jillian on the BL.....think before you eat...does this get me closer to my goal or farther from my goal. its so simple yet so difficult...hope it helps to know that you arent alone!
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    The only way I can avoid splurges is to plan ahead (which is probably why times when I have to be out of town are such a train wreck lol) - make sure you always have something easy to make or leftovers or whatever around, keep a homemade trail mix or dried fruit with you, that sort of thing.

Same.

Planning ahead is key. Also, trying to clean out the items in your households that are trigger foods for you! I'm not saying that you can't treat yourself but make sure there isn't a stockpile of food that might tempt you.

Also, try a smoothie or a protein shake instead of a chocolate shake. Or try the mac and cheese in the lean cuisine or smart one!

Trust me, we ALL deal with that "voice" that tempts us or tries to justify a treat at the wrong time. Do the best you can, plan ahead, and tell that voice who's boss ;).

God bless
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I try to subsititute with better alternatives. For example, last night I had a sugar free chocolate pudding....if I'm craving something which is usually ice cream or chocolate I just try to go for the healthier option. The other day my boyfriend and I went for beautiful long walk in central park where there are ice cream trucks EVERYWHERE and it was so hard to resist temptation. So instead, I went on my phone to find a nearby frozen yogurt shop. I got the smallest size pomegranite frozen yogurt topped with strawberries and it was so yummy!