HELP!! Weightloss Plateau

Options
I've been stuck at the same weight for days! I'm under my 1200 calories a day. stay under 20 grams of sugar and 2300 mg of salt. I drink 2L of water a day. And I exercise for at least 2 hours in the evening. How can I get myself out of this weight loss plateau slump. I was so use to weighing my self in the morning and losing 1 lbs almost every day. Now staying the same weight for days is very discouraging. Any suggestions?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Some days you lose, some days you stay the same, some days you gain. The long-term trend is what matters.

"Days" is not a long enough time to expect results. If you're doing everything 'correctly' over a month's time and you're not losing, THEN maybe take a look at things and adjust.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    First off, how long have you stopped losing weight for?

Second, under 1200 calories is not healthy at all. You're depriving yourself of energy and micronutrients which your body needs to function properly.

Doesn't matter how much sugar you consume (unless you're diabetic or pre-diabetic etc), it doesn't make you lose weight.

My suggestion (and this will most likely be similar to other peoples);
    • Eat at -20% of your TDEE, if not that, 1200 calories MINIMUM
    • Stop stressing over it
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 4-6 weeks minimum. If it's days, it's just a normal fluctuation most likely. Could you be retaining water due to TOM or increasing your exercise (which, two hours a day on under 1200 calories doesn't sound very good).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is definitely not linear. You'll want to truly understand that or you are in for an emotional roller coaster while you're losing weight. Strenuous workouts can cause water retention by your muscles for repair. Too much salt in your diet can cause water retention, too. My weight jumps up and down every day because every other day I run and the days between I lift weights. As long as the trend is downward overall, I know I'm doing fine.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    First off, how long have you stopped losing weight for?

Second, under 1200 calories is not healthy at all. You're depriving yourself of energy and micronutrients which your body needs to function properly.

Doesn't matter how much sugar you consume (unless you're diabetic or pre-diabetic etc), it doesn't make you lose weight.

My suggestion (and this will most likely be similar to other peoples);
    • Eat at -20% of your TDEE, if not that, 1200 calories MINIMUM
    • Stop stressing over it

This and want to add, losing almost pound of day. How long did you think this would happen OP?
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You should aim at no more 2 lb per a week, and that is only recommended if you have a lot to loose.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have been losing, gaining, losing, re-gaining and re-losing the same 2 lbs for two and a half weeks. Impossible to know what's water weight and what's true weight. The only thing I can do is keep eating at a deficit and trusting in the process. Am I sick of this, getting frustrated and ready for the scale to go down and stay down? Absolutely. Am I giving up? Absolutely not.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
  • DanielleLynis
    DanielleLynis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Just to clear things up, I meant to say I eat 1200 cals a day. And I'm on a ball team. So that's where the 2 hours of exercise comes from. I cut out all refined sugar from my diet. limited the amount of sodium I consume in a day. And eat fruit that is high is sugar in moderation.... I suppose I was looking for motivation in making this discussion.
  • sars388
    sars388 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi. Losing a lb a day is a lot. Not to discourage you but that is probably fluid that you've lost. I stalled a month back a hit the panic button and posted a thread excatly the same as yours. I was told to maybe have a blow out and maybe eat abit more. I had abit of cake but that was it then all of a sudden I'd lost 4lb in one day. Magic cake maybe. My advise for what it's worth and this is what I was told is this.. Keep doing what your doing and it will come down,stay positive focused and the weight will start moving again. Feel free to add. Good luck. .
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Just to clear things up, I meant to say I eat 1200 cals a day. And I'm on a ball team. So that's where the 2 hours of exercise comes from. I cut out all refined sugar from my diet. limited the amount of sodium I consume in a day. And eat fruit that is high is sugar in moderation.... I suppose I was looking for motivation in making this discussion.

If you're that active, I would suggest upping your calories a bit. Not necessary, just my 2 cents.

Keep eating in a deficit and measure yourself in a week or so from now OP.
  • DanielleLynis
    Options
    Great advice! thanks. A piece of cake would be nice. It's been a while!

• LiveLoveSwimming
    LiveLoveSwimming Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with @IsaackGMOON , you should try increasing your calories. Your very active and it sounds counter intuitive but it might help you pass the plateau.

I had the same problem as you and after I raised my cal goal 100-200cals I started losing weight again.

Also as you lose weight you will need to adjust your calorie goal and macros to your new weight.
  • DanielleLynis
    Options
    Really? I had no clue. It's worth a shot. Thanks @LiveLoveSwimming and @IsaackGMOON
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I agree with @IsaackGMOON , you should try increasing your calories. Your very active and it sounds counter intuitive but it might help you pass the plateau.

I had the same problem as you and after I raised my cal goal 100-200cals I started losing weight again.

Also as you lose weight you will need to adjust your calorie goal and macros to your new weight.

Chances are the OP is under estimating calories in/out.

So adding in food is not going to help.

AS mentioned OP how long has it been since you lost weight? if it hasn't been 4-6 weeks give it time.

• IsaackGMOON
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

AS mentioned OP how long has it been since you lost weight? if it hasn't been 4-6 weeks give it time.

Derp I didn't even ask if she was weighing everything...

OP are you weighing everything you eat?
    • Are you weighing things with an electric food scale?
    • Are you weighing accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups and 1/4 cups etc
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?
  • DanielleLynis
    Options

• Are you weighing accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups and 1/4 cups etc

Yes! I measure and weigh everything I eat. As for the MFP, HRM or machines..... I rely on the list of activities that myfitnesspal provides for me. and go by the calories burned by the activity selected.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at the same weight for days! I'm under my 1200 calories a day. stay under 20 grams of sugar and 2300 mg of salt. I drink 2L of water a day. And I exercise for at least 2 hours in the evening. How can I get myself out of this weight loss plateau slump. I was so use to weighing my self in the morning and losing 1 lbs almost every day. Now staying the same weight for days is very discouraging. Any suggestions?

Losing 1 lb every day is not a healthy or realistic expectation. You shouldn't really aim for losing more than 2 lbs per week for healthy sustainable weight loss. If you have less than 50 lbs to lose, then 1 lb is a more reasonable rate.
    Adjust your expectations.
    You may want to back off on weighing every single day if you can't handle seeing normal daily fluctuations.
    Eat up to your calorie goal and eat back a portion of calories earned from exercise. Do not eat under 1200 calories. Do not eat under 1200 calories and put in 2 hours of exercise a day.
    Log everything as accurately as you can. Weigh and measure food.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yes! I measure and weigh everything I eat. As for the MFP, HRM or machines..... I rely on the list of activities that myfitnesspal provides for me. and go by the calories burned by the activity selected.

weigh solids? measure liquids? Choosing correct entries...

opening your diary would help...

The calorie burns from MFP and machines are over estimated and HRM only work for steady state cardio with a chest strap when calibrated correctly.
  • DanielleLynis
    Options
    I use my diary daily.