What was your moment?

Options
124»

Replies

• Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Honestly I felt like that for 3 years. The most I coukd go is a few days and then I'd go right back.

This was my 3rd or 4th time trying myfitnesspal. I was browsing the forums for the first time and something about it just stuck. I think it was the fact that I learned as long as I stay under my calorie goal it's okay to have things I deemed "unhealthy". It felt the same as all the other times I tried to start. But for some reason it just worked. 50 days in and 16 pounds down and still going strong.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that the rest of the family wanted to have a serious discussion about my weight and make me go to a fat camp. :/

I had wanted to lose for a while but just never gave it any real effort past cutting down my soda consumption to one a day until that.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Many moments over the years. After each pregnancy lost weight, only to gain it back once I returned to work. And then gradually my weight crept back up to 10lbs shy of where I was when 8 mo pregnant. That shocked me enough. And when my youngest son keeps poking my belly fat. He thinks its cute, but reminds me, keep counting those calories, keep going to the gym, and be accountable to my goal.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    capnrus789 wrote: »
    I just wanted to get laid.
    deforestation favourite quote lol☺☺

• dawniemate
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    capnrus789 wrote: »
    I just wanted to get laid.
    deforestation favourite quote lol☺☺

• dawniemate
    Options
    *Defo favourite quote *
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When I came back from a 4 month internship the first thing my mother said was how fat I had gotten. So I signed up for a cardio class, then another, then joined the badminton club. Tried MFP for a few months with mitigated success. Lost a little, didn't keep it off.

Over 2-3 years my physical condition improved greatly, but I couldn't get rid of the weight I gained over the course of that internship. At least my weight was stable.

Then I tried kickboxing, and fell in love with the sport. Last December I realized I was not making any progress, and the culprit could be the extra weight. So I joined an online coaching group - if I put money on the line I go through with it.

Almost 30 pounds lost and OMG, so much progress in kickboxing in so little time 0_0. 10 pounds to go.
  • Eninad
    Eninad Posts: 204 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's my first journey using MFP, but I've been on many journeys before.

The first time was hitting 150 and bawling, I'm only 5'3"! I fought hard, got back to 125 and promptly forgot I had to pay attention to things for me to stay healthy.

The next wake up I found myself at 220 pounds before I fought down to 205 on Jenny Craig food. I just couldn't figure out how to break past that, I hated the food, I missed real life and I quit. Then I had a baby, was 240 afterwards, pushed hard to lose, but settled at about 220. This is when I started to think that maybe I couldn't break whatever my low was before, some sort of metabolism setting, maybe related to medications I was on. So I stayed around 220-ish and just ate what I wanted, then I saw pictures.

Yeah, I never took pictures, the self loathing was too great, so these were from what others took and I was HUGE. Huge in a very unflattering way and I started to reflect on all the things I wasn't doing because of my size. No playground with daughter, no pool, no airplane trips, no going out with others, no decent clothes, and I was unhappy. I stopped taking the medications, I joined up at another calorie counting site and I got myself back down to 204, but I still didn't have all the knowledge pieces and I was soooo hungry and deprived. I was stuck at 204 and I kept inching higher and higher. 210, 212, 220...again. I was so angry.

I still chatted with the online group, but I wasn't logging or exercising, it was all social and fun. Then I found other pursuits that would get me off the computer. I started doing a lot of walking, I really thought I was doing pretty good, I walked a ton and ate what I wanted; but I didn't own a scale. Sure, I was still tired using the stairs, I couldn't tie shoes well, my knees always hurt, but I thought that was just my body, not much to do about it.

At Christmas I finally bought a scale. 250 pounds. Are you kidding me? On a 5'3" frame? So I started again, diligently. I track what I do and what I eat, I fuel for working out and I eat for sedentary when I don't work out. I joined up at MFP and use the logging. I weigh foods, I weigh me and I stay accountable. I joined a challenge group.

Today I am 203.6 and I am not quitting this time. I have broken the 205 and I will break 200 in July. I have a goal of 180 by November and it IS possible. I've reached my time.
  • emilypogatshnik
    emilypogatshnik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My turning point was a couple of weeks ago. I was at my yearly checkup art the doctors and when I was weighed, it hit me that I had gained 84 pounds in five years (basically since starting college). I decided instead of crying about it, I would do something about it. I ended up finding a book that helps log goals for yourself and it's another food diary.

I've been doing MFP for 16 days now and I'm down 11 pounds!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Eninad wrote: »
    It's my first journey using MFP, but I've been on many journeys before.

The first time was hitting 150 and bawling, I'm only 5'3"! I fought hard, got back to 125 and promptly forgot I had to pay attention to things for me to stay healthy.

The next wake up I found myself at 220 pounds before I fought down to 205 on Jenny Craig food. I just couldn't figure out how to break past that, I hated the food, I missed real life and I quit. Then I had a baby, was 240 afterwards, pushed hard to lose, but settled at about 220. This is when I started to think that maybe I couldn't break whatever my low was before, some sort of metabolism setting, maybe related to medications I was on. So I stayed around 220-ish and just ate what I wanted, then I saw pictures.

Yeah, I never took pictures, the self loathing was too great, so these were from what others took and I was HUGE. Huge in a very unflattering way and I started to reflect on all the things I wasn't doing because of my size. No playground with daughter, no pool, no airplane trips, no going out with others, no decent clothes, and I was unhappy. I stopped taking the medications, I joined up at another calorie counting site and I got myself back down to 204, but I still didn't have all the knowledge pieces and I was soooo hungry and deprived. I was stuck at 204 and I kept inching higher and higher. 210, 212, 220...again. I was so angry.

I still chatted with the online group, but I wasn't logging or exercising, it was all social and fun. Then I found other pursuits that would get me off the computer. I started doing a lot of walking, I really thought I was doing pretty good, I walked a ton and ate what I wanted; but I didn't own a scale. Sure, I was still tired using the stairs, I couldn't tie shoes well, my knees always hurt, but I thought that was just my body, not much to do about it.

At Christmas I finally bought a scale. 250 pounds. Are you kidding me? On a 5'3" frame? So I started again, diligently. I track what I do and what I eat, I fuel for working out and I eat for sedentary when I don't work out. I joined up at MFP and use the logging. I weigh foods, I weigh me and I stay accountable. I joined a challenge group.

Today I am 203.6 and I am not quitting this time. I have broken the 205 and I will break 200 in July. I have a goal of 180 by November and it IS possible. I've reached my time.

We could be sisters!! I started at 243 and down now to 201.5 You can do it!!
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It was back in May. I just got tired of not feeling comfortable in my own clothes, tired of dreading having my picture taken or looking in to the mirror. I got tired of being tired and not being able to do as much with my son. So I ordered a Vivofit, saw how little I was moving, and once I realized I could hook it up to MFP, I haven't looked back. I'm down 7 lbs in a month and more importantly, I FEEL better about myself, my health, and even though it's not a noticeable change yet, I've even taken pictures of myself and shared them because I know I'm living healthier than I have in a long time. For some reason, that seems to make all of the difference.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My moment came twice- once last Fall when I realized I had reached a weight I had never been before in my life, but I still didn't make the changes, I mentally just couldn't do it, I was still depressed, still making excuses. Then, when my relationship started to fail, I realized I needed to make changes in my life because I was just not moving forward, I was stuck in a rut. That was NYE and I haven't looked back (70 pounds lost)
  • littleb0peep
    littleb0peep Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1.) My dad recently got married to a small Filipino (5' 3", 98 lbs). The pictures of the wedding was a wake up call. Standing next to her, her and I looked like the number 10.

2.) 23 years old and on BP medicine

3.) Ripping my jeans. :o
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It was that old classic moment of seeing a recent photograph of myself and going 'wow I look FAT!'

That was my recent motivation for getting back on track! 16 yrs ago I lost 60# and kept them off for 10 yrs. About 30 lbs have crept back over the past 6 years, and that picture just motivated me to wake up, accept this weight gain, and start taking care of myself again!!!!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It involved a KTV in Taichung.....
    Lol, what?!

• David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My moment was my husband telling me I was chubby and it was time to lose the baby weight and he wasn't attracted to me. He was vile about it. That was a year ago. For many other reasons in addition, I dumped him and have lost 11lbs now with about a stone to go. Immensely satisfying to see him checking me out when I drop the kids off but I'd never dirty myself with his toxicity again . Life is gooood!

So happy for you!

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It involved a KTV in Taichung.....
    Lol, what?!

Yep. Those who know, know.
  • dem_sum_wrinkles
    dem_sum_wrinkles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started nursing school and our teacher told us we had to be an example for our patients. How could I tell them health mattered when they could look at me and see I didn't focus on health. Also I broke up with my bf and he did like me for me but he kept mentioned weight loss. It hurt but was needed. I just need to get healthier for me and not anyone else though. I also want to fit my clothes comfortably!!!!!
  • Cavspider
    Cavspider Posts: 327 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My brother brought his BP machine and took my BP. Not good. Decided I better do all I can do to live healthier especially as I approach 51 and my parents both take BP meds. Needed to reduce salt and eat better, exercise, and of course, maintain a healthy weight. Researched DASH, dietary approaches to stop hypertension, to eat better. Starting walking a lot, 4 miles every morning now at a near 4mph clip and just started incorporating circuit weight training. Started tracking my food and especially salt intake the same day my bro took my BP as he referred me here. Since I have been eating better, watching my calorie count, and exercising I have lost 14 pounds in 28 days and really don't feel hungry all that much. My brother takes my BP a couple times a week and I am much improved though not out of the woods yet. I feel good and believe in myself. Life is getting better day by day!