Coconut oil for fat loss

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I like extra virgin olive oil. Bertolli is a good brand.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I think you're referring to this type of thing?

http://makecoconutnotfat.com/coconut-oil-magical-hack-need-know/

It's not evidence-based and totally anecdotal, but it could work - stranger things have happened I guess. Not up for trying it though - I'd rather eat 'normally' with a calorie deficit.

Oil PULLING, however - amazing for your teeth. Though doesn't make you lose weight at all.

If you're concerned about something being evidence-based, you should probably re-examine oil pulling.

OP - The only way coconut oil can help you lose weight is if you drop it on your head and the subsequent concussion makes you forget where you put the can.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You almost got flagged for spam...then I opened the link...

oboy.gif
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use it. But basically any healthy food that satiates your appetite so that you don't feel the desire to eat more often can help in that way (there is a possible additional benefit, see below). I used butter and coconut oil in my coffee in the morning and then didn't eat anything else until at least 2pm. By that method, without counting calories, I lost... around 25 pounds in over a year. Not horrible but not great. I stuck with it because I felt great eating that way.

Then, I started tracking calories with a goal that kept me in deficit. I also bought a food scale, and lost over ten pounds in less than a quarter of the time. I still usually put coconut oil and butter in my coffee, but not nearly as much. As I start to lose I have to adjust my calorie goal down and that might mean giving it up altogether or alternating mornings or perhaps alternating the butter and the coconut oil. We'll see how the math works.

I do think my body may have needed the fat and that "gorging" on the butter and coconut oil (about an ounce of each every morning) was probably good for me. It might help your body adapt to using fat for energy and thus get it ready to burn your own (though you'll have to taper off the outside fat a bit, perhaps). And it supposedly is good for immediate energy due to the properties of medium chain triglycerides that are in it.

But I would just try it. I suspect this works better if you have a great deal of fat to lose. The best thing about MFP, I think, is the ability to track what is happening and figure out what works for you.
  • awnurmarc
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Coconut oil is very high in saturated fat.

Feature. Not bug.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has calories like any other oil. Use it if you like but it won't make you lose more weight than if you used peanut oil or olive oil and stuck to your calorie goal.

There isn't a magic food or drink that makes you lose weight. It is all about the calories you consume vs. the calories you burn.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

I would only disagree with his last line, about the breaking out. It does the opposite for me.

I use coconut oil for everything except food, I think. Hair, moisturizer, I use it for shaving, put it on my cat, mix it with gardenia essential oil and make candles, and, uh...other things. I do use it in stir fry and sometimes in baking when oil is called for because of its taste.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    How is it supposed to assist fat loss? How can eating fat reduce fat?

It doesn't aid in fat loss...but dietary fat =/= body fat...you don't get fat from eating fat.
  • awnurmarc
    Options
    Are there no magical foods? If you find stuff you can eat and it makes you feel great and not need to eat again for a long time, and feel energized, then you might consider that food to be "magical" compared to the stuff that tasted good but made you feel like garbage and left you hungry again in half an hour.

People are different, but if someone is struggling to stay within a reasonable calorie deficit, and is frustrated by food cravings, changing up what they eat might be worth experimenting.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

You almost got flagged for spam...then I opened the link...

oboy.gif

Now HE'S who I'm talking bout!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    In my day, using magical as an adjective for food, usually indicated hallucinations after ingestion.
  • daniwilford
    Options
    In my day, using magical as an adjective for food, usually indicated hallucinations after ingestion.
  • daniwilford
    Options
  • daniwilford
    Options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I would only disagree with his last line, about the breaking out. It does the opposite for me.

I use coconut oil for everything except food, I think. Hair, moisturizer, I use it for shaving, put it on my cat, mix it with gardenia essential oil and make candles, and, uh...other things. I do use it in stir fry and sometimes in baking when oil is called for because of its taste.

You're not the first person to mention the "other things" benefit. Will have to try this. It's certainly cheaper than what I'm using now.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Other things? Like simonizing the vehicle?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

LOL! My, how times have changed!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Other things? Like simonizing the vehicle?

Aww, a can of Simoniz.

tumblr_lwqfsb9IbK1qzls9ro1_1280.jpg