Anyone else fasting?

Options
I'm trying to lose 30lbs before my sisters wedding in August, but it's Ramadan and I'm fasting for about 16 hours a day from 3:30am to 8:30pm, so I'm having a hard time with exercising, finding the right time to do it and it's a bit rough to exercise right after I break my fast. So I wanted to do some exercises that burned a lot but I didn't have to do for hours. Is any else going through this and did you find the right time and way? Or does anyone have any tips on a short work out that burns a lot of calories?

Replies

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    hello...i just started intermittent fasting today. i used to do it years ago and had great success with it. (not for religious reasons) i am fasting for 18 hours per day, with feasting window of 6 hours.

when i used to do it, i would wake up in the morning, have BCAA (powder mixed with water) and go work-out with weights at the gym, along with a bit of cardio. then i wouldn't eat until 12:00 noon. that would break my fast and eat until 6:00 p.m. when i would eat my final meal of the day.

you are doing an opposite schedule, so to me, it will be easier. personally, i would NOT eat before working out. i would find a nice BCAA powder (try GNC and ask for a good flavor and one that dissolves well) and drink that directly before working-out or exercising. then follow your work-out with your first meal at 8:30 p.m.

lifting weights is an excellent way to burn calories and you will build nice muscle that will continue to burn calories long after you've left the gym. follow-up with a little cardio if you want (bicycle, treadmill, etc.)

when you eat your last bit of food at 3:30 a.m. (assuming you are awake) make sure to take-in alot of protein to sustain you through your fasting window. :smile: HTH
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    hello...i just started intermittent fasting today. i used to do it years ago and had great success with it. (not for religious reasons) i am fasting for 18 hours per day, with feasting window of 6 hours.

when i used to do it, i would wake up in the morning, have BCAA (powder mixed with water) and go work-out with weights at the gym, along with a bit of cardio. then i wouldn't eat until 12:00 noon. that would break my fast and eat until 6:00 p.m. when i would eat my final meal of the day.

you are doing an opposite schedule, so to me, it will be easier. personally, i would NOT eat before working out. i would find a nice BCAA powder (try GNC and ask for a good flavor and one that dissolves well) and drink that directly before working-out or exercising. then follow your work-out with your first meal at 8:30 p.m.

lifting weights is an excellent way to burn calories and you will build nice muscle that will continue to burn calories long after you've left the gym. follow-up with a little cardio if you want (bicycle, treadmill, etc.)

when you eat your last bit of food at 3:30 a.m. (assuming you are awake) make sure to take-in alot of protein to sustain you through your fasting window. :smile: HTH
    So you're saying when I break my fast drink the BCAA, exercise then eat my meal, right? Also this BCAA powder, I heard it makes Women gain weight, a lot of people told me to stay away from it. So what the exact kind that you use? because I don't want to start gaining weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Aisha0627 wrote: »

So you're saying when I break my fast drink the BCAA, exercise then eat my meal, right? Also this BCAA powder, I heard it makes Women gain weight, a lot of people told me to stay away from it. So what the exact kind that you use? because I don't want to start gaining weight.

no, that is not true. A calorie surplus causes weight gain. That is all.

Also, no. I think the person above drinks water and BCAAs during the day. Since it's Ramadan, you wouldn't have that option.

That said, as long as you are getting the proper number of calories/macros when you ARE breaking your fast all is well.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    bcaa will not cause weight gain. you will only take about a scoop with water right as you are about to break your fast, directly before exercise. so, bcaa, exercise, break fast. all within 30 min to an hour.
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi Aisha,

I am fasting as well. Honestly we really shouldn't be trying to lose weight during Ramadan. But.... to answer your question I am getting ready to walk (at midnight) it seems like the only time that will work for me. Let me know what you figure out that works for you :smile:

Ramadan Mubarak!
  • salaita1968
    salaita1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ramadan mubarak 3alako
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am also fasting for 14 hours. But due to severe heat wave I am not doing any exercise. I just wanted to ask has anyone lost any bit of weight this ramadan?

Ramadan Mubarak!
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Honesty I wouldn't even know if I lost weight. I only weigh myself first thing in the morning for a consistent weigh in. And with having to wake up so early to eat and pray I am honestly stumbling out of bed not thinking about a scale. Lol
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    man I did 16:8 for a few weeks

and I *kitten* hated it lol

but YMMV
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting is the best thing I have ever tried. I use 18:6 hours and the benefits to my health have been numerous.
    By fasting, you mean nothing but water? And how long before you noticed the health benefits? How does it affect sleep, etc? I am thinking it would take a few 'rounds'? or not? Tell us more. :)..or post a link?

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I only fast overnight.
    As for high-intensity exercises, they're not easy.
    Doing them when low on blood sugar + it's hot outside will be even harder.
    Interval training & elliptical are the first which come to mind.
    Just focus on maintaining while you're in this religious phase. When you get back to normal, and aren't stressing
    your body, you can work on fitness again.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    I would say that I fast overnight as well

but lately I've been filling my gut with casein

ahhhh yummy casein
  • Aw0627
    Options
    ramadan mubarak 3alako

Ramadan Mubarak!!!
  • Aw0627
    Options
    Hi Aisha,

I am fasting as well. Honestly we really shouldn't be trying to lose weight during Ramadan. But.... to answer your question I am getting ready to walk (at midnight) it seems like the only time that will work for me. Let me know what you figure out that works for you :smile:

Ramadan Mubarak!

Ok. Ramadan Mubarak!!!
  • Aw0627
    Options
    bcaa will not cause weight gain. you will only take about a scoop with water right as you are about to break your fast, directly before exercise. so, bcaa, exercise, break fast. all within 30 min to an hour.

This sounds like a good idea think I'll try it, but until I can get some BCAA I'll just drink plenty of water. Thanks for the advise.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Aisha0627 wrote: »

This sounds like a good idea think I'll try it, but until I can get some BCAA I'll just drink plenty of water. Thanks for the advise.

yeah just hit up Amazon for a big ole tub of BCAAs (should be a good price on there)
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm a Christian but I'm celebrating Ramadan again this year. I celebrated it in 2013, in honor of my coworker who is Muslim, and was being treated for a brain tumor. I had such a good experience getting closer to God, becoming more empathetic, and feeling like I was able to master my physical WANTS, that I decided to celebrate again this year. I feel like it is a "reset" both physically and spiritually, that brings me closer to God. I respect Muslims and the Prophet Mohammad PBUH, but follow the teachings of Jesus partly due to my having been raised in the faith, and partly because, I guess, it feels more authentic to my heart. I'm not sure how to explain it. Probably cultural bias on my part. :o

I have found that while it's easier to count calories, since they are all compressed into only a few hours, but it's HARDER to stay under my calories. It's also harder for me to exercise, although I remember it got easier after the first week *crosses fingers*. Today a group of us from my office walked for about thirty minutes at lunch. The non fasting people kept laughing at the rest of us because all we could do was talk about what we ate for Suhur, and what we were planning for Iftar!

What I really struggle with is water. It's all I can think about all day and evening then as soon as it's time for Iftar I only want food! Last night was pure BAD CHOICES - pizza and diet soda, then more pizza (plus an egg and toast with peanut butter and berries) for Suhur, and nowhere near enough water. The salt from the pizza is killing me and I have my first bad headache.

Since I'm the only one fasting at home, the meal is made around six PM and by nine it's all I can think about! Then at 3:30, for Suhur, dinner left overs sound much better than the solid meal I always plan.

I'm going to stop at the market on my way home and pick up some figs and watermelon. My coworker who grew up in Pakistan, says that eating a lot of watermelon for Suhur seems to keep water in your belly longer.

Tonight I only have a few calories left so I'll have a slice of spinach pie, a piece of dried fruit, and an apple.

Tomorrow's Suhur is planned as follows -
    Spinach salad with two hard boiled eggs, 1 oz of goat cheese, balsalmic dressing and chia seeds.
    As much melon as I can eat (46 calories / cup!)
    a spoon full of peanut butter.

• Aw0627
    Options
    I'm a Christian but I'm celebrating Ramadan again this year. I celebrated it in 2013, in honor of my coworker who is Muslim, and was being treated for a brain tumor. I had such a good experience getting closer to God, becoming more empathetic, and feeling like I was able to master my physical WANTS, that I decided to celebrate again this year. I feel like it is a "reset" both physically and spiritually, that brings me closer to God. I respect Muslims and the Prophet Mohammad PBUH, but follow the teachings of Jesus partly due to my having been raised in the faith, and partly because, I guess, it feels more authentic to my heart. I'm not sure how to explain it. Probably cultural bias on my part. :o

I have found that while it's easier to count calories, since they are all compressed into only a few hours, but it's HARDER to stay under my calories. It's also harder for me to exercise, although I remember it got easier after the first week *crosses fingers*. Today a group of us from my office walked for about thirty minutes at lunch. The non fasting people kept laughing at the rest of us because all we could do was talk about what we ate for Suhur, and what we were planning for Iftar!

What I really struggle with is water. It's all I can think about all day and evening then as soon as it's time for Iftar I only want food! Last night was pure BAD CHOICES - pizza and diet soda, then more pizza (plus an egg and toast with peanut butter and berries) for Suhur, and nowhere near enough water. The salt from the pizza is killing me and I have my first bad headache.

Since I'm the only one fasting at home, the meal is made around six PM and by nine it's all I can think about! Then at 3:30, for Suhur, dinner left overs sound much better than the solid meal I always plan.

I'm going to stop at the market on my way home and pick up some figs and watermelon. My coworker who grew up in Pakistan, says that eating a lot of watermelon for Suhur seems to keep water in your belly longer.

Tonight I only have a few calories left so I'll have a slice of spinach pie, a piece of dried fruit, and an apple.

Tomorrow's Suhur is planned as follows -
    Spinach salad with two hard boiled eggs, 1 oz of goat cheese, balsalmic dressing and chia seeds.
    As much melon as I can eat (46 calories / cup!)
    a spoon full of peanut butter.

Wow that extremely interesting I never met a non-muslim who fast the whole month of Ramadan, just some who has tried it for a couple of days, but never a whole month that's great! I love Ramadan and wait every year for it's arrival it's such a blessed month and makes me feel so grateful.

Usually for Suhur I have 2 bottles of water a banana and three dates for Sunnah, I can't really eat a whole meal at that time it's just too much. But water is also the biggest issue for me more than food I want to drink, even after I break fast I drink 3-4 bottles of water eat a date and I'm practical done for the night, but I now I have to eat more than that.

My African friend told me about the watermelon as well and she gave a ton so I might eat some of that for Suhur instead of the Banana.

Ramadan Mubarak!!!!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    One of my Muslim coworkers brought me some dates to start my Iftar, his wife serves them rolled in chia seeds.