Starting to calorie count again and always hungry

Options
tabby_123
tabby_123 Posts: 80 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone!

I'm back to losing weight for the first time in a while and I'm facing a struggle I experience nearly every time I try to lose weight again--hunger. Eating 1300 calories a day leaves me constantly hungry. I eat plenty of protein, fruits, and vegetables. I refrain from sugar and sodas. Having said this, I don't think it's that my body is being deprived of nourishment. I honestly believe that I'm just not used to eating less again as when I don't calorie count, I eat to the point of being "stuffed." It's a problem I normally overcome with time, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice to help alleviate some of this hunger until I readapt.

Thank you in advance! :smile:

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It'd be useful if you could open your diary so we can see what you're eating.
  • alenaajohal15
    alenaajohal15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    me too don't worry
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It could be that 1300 isn't enough for you.
    What is your height and weight?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to limit your calories to 1300? Is that the target goal set by MFP's calculators based on your input? Did you enter accurate, honest data?

There is no magic number for intake to create a deficit - the 1200 calorie goal touted by so many plans just makes weight loss much harder for most people.

I started with 85 pounds to lose, and - based on my starting weight and activity input - 1450 calories a day. After a year, and 75 pounds, I'm down to 1200 calories as a baseline (with calories added back for activity), but that's after a year, with incremental drops in calorie goal as I lost weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Add some exercise....earn some more calories. MFP gave you the 1300 goal BEFORE exercise. Just be careful as calorie burn estimates tend to be generous.

Protein, fat and fiber are satiating. It's not the same for everyone. I can eat non-fat protein and be hungry a short time later. Other people don't experience that. It takes awhile to figure out what foods are satiating for you. Make sure you are staying hydrated...you could actually be thirsty and not hungry.
  • hila_13
    hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is probably not great advice but I find it helps me. Drink soda water. Its not full of sugar or aspartame but I find it fills me up when I might otherwise snack (coffee also works but you have to watch sugar and cream).
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have a glass of water before every meal and drink another glass during the meal. Sip between bites of food.

Eat with small utensils - so that you are forced to take longer over your meal.

Chew your food until it disappears from your mouth - try to not swallow.

No mention of fats (help you to feel full for longer) or complex carbohydrate (high bulk, low calorie foods) both of which help with maintaining blood sugar levels.

Don't eat 'less'. Eat 'more' low calorie vegetables - you can have up to 9 cups a day covering a wide variety of different vegetables which will take some chewing and should satisfy anyone's sensation of 'hunger'.
  • mhscklukken
    mhscklukken Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep a pack of 'fruity flavored' sugar free gum with you. When you start to have the cravings to chew or eat - chew on a piece of gum. It helps me get through those hunger pains for a while and then I'm over it!

You could also 'chug' a glass of water. It's pretty incredible what a cup of water will do to help with those pains. And if one glass isn't enough - then chug down a second glass. And I don't mean drink - I mean chug...drink it all down as quickly as you can (without choking). And if two aren't enough - then go for a third...but I'd wait a couple minutes before you take that third glass because it will probably be just enough with two.

Give them a try!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your calorie goal to one pound a week so you can eat more. Include more fat and oils in your diet as they are satiating.
  • YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, I find I'm almost always over my calorie goal (1200 for me) and I'm still getting hungry to the point where it physically hurts and the headaches kick in. Sugar free gum helps me a bit. Flavoured ones can be good if you find yourself craving sweet things.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    First of all 1300 is maybe not enough

Second it also depends on what you eat.
    I see sometimes diary's and i think wow i would be starving hungry.

i eat lots and lots more for my 1200 calories. But that is all personal

I cook from scratch and eat as much vegetables/fruit and meats as i can cram into my calorie allowance.
    I am a volume eater So i make choices to get all my foods and not get hungry.

@YamiElisa on your diary i would be starving indeed. But it is very personal to everybody.

Here some photo's of one of my days ( i have a photo diary were i log also every day lol)

2xg7dcui31xv.jpg
    q4k95rd86w32.jpg
    dfzu51l3r0k7.jpg
    b0m33afl29cl.jpg
    usoqcnlslcfo.jpg
  • BWBTrish
    edited June 2015
    Options
    so this is breakfast, lunch, dinner, my evening popcorn/snack and fruit

Every day weighed to the grams!
    And i am not hungry hehehe at all this way.

for others that maybe wont work. Find your satisfaction in foods you eat.
  • YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @TheOwlhouseDesigns , they look really good! I definitely need to make some changes to my diet. Starting slow as I'm only really in my first month still, so it's hard work slowly shifting my diet around to something more healthy. But for the better in the end! :smile:
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    but you can also up it a bit..you will lose slower maybe But you will keep it up longer. Hunger will make you fall of the wagon so to say.
    The temptations get bigger and bigger

So again personal

I have days that i eat more ( up to maintenance level) Not as cheat days but just because i am out, or need it, or want it.
    It doesn't destroy your weight loss journey lol, you just lose a ounce less that week rofl or it slows you down a tiny bit that week.
    It is better than getting a graving/bing or totally fall of the wagon

There is no harm in eating more.

And yes i started off with 1200 too because i had too. But the meaning is that you eat totally normal after some time! So going or being hungry is not the way to do it!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure your calorie goal is appropriate for you. If you are aiming for 2 pounds a week, try 1.5. That change will give you an extra 250/day. Even if you have enough weight to lose that 2 pounds is reasonable, you can do this for a few weeks to transition into eating at a lower range.

2. Eat additional to fuel your exercise. While you want to be careful not to overestimate what you're burning, its pretty safe to assume that if you are working out, then you need more than 1300 per day.

3. Figure out which foods or food groups leave you feeling full longer. I like snacks like carrot sticks and apple slices but 10 minutes later, its like my body forgets I've eaten anything. Pair them with an ounce of cheese, I'm good for a while. Seems the protein (or maybe its the fat?) sticks longer.
  • dearestkayla
    dearestkayla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry because you're bored? When I got back to counting calories, I was hungry all the time just eating 1370. I just assessed my hunger and realized I wasn't really that hungry.
  • scarygirl001
    scarygirl001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you need more fibre in your diet fibre helps keep the hunger pangs away, there are fibre suppliments if you dont like veg and i found a product called pgx they are great you take before eating and it then lowers your appetite and you can take as many as you need , so check them out i have a lot to lose but these are really helping me ;-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you earning extra through exercise? Eat lots of fats an protein for satiety.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had to go to low carb to get rid of my hunger. My goal for carbs are try not to go over 50 a day. Working for me. Drink lots of water. Good luck.
  • blackrs1990
    blackrs1990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As with all the other postings about 'what' you eat being important. I have to be really careful with the amount of fruit I eat. If you are going to eat fruit try looking for something with a lower glycemic load. If you keep your veggies and your proteins up, super sugary fruit can make you feel hungrier sooner.. I love protein, but if I limit my fats too much (eat only chicken etc), then I notice I also stall in weight loss & get hungrier. So, my later meal, I tend to have red meats. For example, I eat eggwhites (1 cup) for breakfast. For lunch if I have a big salad with chicken on it, then for dinner have say more chicken, I find myself starving and craving foods into the evening. If I swap out my dinner with a NY strip Thin cut steak, I am full until bedtime. You have to tweak your program to find what works for you, and something you can stick with long term.