Ideas to curb middle of night snacking/healthy snacks?

Options
jezahb
jezahb Posts: 73 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have an issue with when my bladder wakes me up to go pee in the middle of the night I am ALWAYS hungry, something about waking up triggers me to feel hungry seemingly no matter what I ate the day before (though if I eat a ton of refined carbs I will notice the hunger is actually borderline painful and not just uncomfortable). Sometimes I wake up 2 times a night (I drink a ton of water) so this means 2 times where I will end up grabbing something quick to snack on since I cannot get back to sleep while hungry. For a while it was a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips, last night it was a nibble of PB. I don't require a large amount of anything since even a small amount will quiet my hunger long enough for me to fall back asleep. I just need ideas on how to either eliminate this issue, or a healthy quick snack I could grab (chocolate or PB is really caloric and I hate waking up 200 calories down due to snacking). Obviously nothing involving prep/cooking/assembling since I need to not wake myself up too much.

I am allergic to raw fruit and tree nuts, so those are both not options.

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Why not stop drinking water for three or four hours before you go to bed?
  • YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Maybe a mini babybel or some cheese strings? They're fairly low calorie. Or perhaps a little yoghurt?
  • jezahb
    Options
    Why not stop drinking water for three or four hours before you go to bed?

I don't know if I could do this. I always sip water throughout the day, and they say your body adjusts to expect the level of hydration you usually have. I get dehydrated really quickly because of this, normally I consume about 12 8 glasses of water and if I am working and only have 8-9 instead I get an awful headache and become dehydrated. So not drinking water at all for 4 hours would end badly I think.

YamiElisa wrote: »
    Maybe a mini babybel or some cheese strings? They're fairly low calorie. Or perhaps a little yoghurt?

The babybel idea is actually a great one! I love those and haven't bought any in a while, at 50 calories a piece I could totally have 2 throughout the night and it won't hurt my calories wise. Plus I need to up my protein intake anyways, so that is a great idea!

• Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I save most of my calories for after 5
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Since you can't stop drinking water, eat something salty before going to bed which will retain it. Like peanuts, or pretzels, or chips. Just leave room in your calorie budget for it.
  • jezahb
    Options
    brwelch1 wrote: »
    I save most of my calories for after 5

I end up doing that accidentally. I will eat a small breakfast and then get busy doing stuff, being active and don't eat again until I slow down in the evening. My normal day goes 400 calories before 5, and 900 calories or so after 5.
  • jezahb
    Options
    Since you can't stop drinking water, eat something salty before going to bed which will retain it. Like peanuts, or pretzels, or chips. Just leave room in your calorie budget for it.

That wouldn't cause my weight to go up due to water retention?