Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I still dont get it

So I have done my BMR on other calculators and it indicates 1907 cals to lose weight.
I work with a trainer 3 hrs a week and I swim the other days of the week for one hour, laps and water walking.
I am hitting 5000 steps a day with my fitbit
I chart everything, I weigh everything
Good carbs, lots of protein and one full gallon of water per day

I gained five lbs. In fact since May 28th I have gained all the weight I lost last summer.
Now MFP indicates I should eat 1300 calories a day.

Help
nb

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Are you weighing your foods with a scale? Measuring things with grams instead of cups etc?
  • barnesna
    barnesna Posts: 7 Member
    Yes, weighing with scale and appropriate measuring cup. If it gets too complicated I do not eat it.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    barnesna wrote: »
    Yes, weighing with scale and appropriate measuring cup. If it gets too complicated I do not eat it.

Could you open your diary please, OP? And what are your stats?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    So I have done my BMR on other calculators and it indicates 1907 cals to lose weight.
    I work with a trainer 3 hrs a week and I swim the other days of the week for one hour, laps and water walking.
    I chart everything, I weigh everything
    Good carbs, lots of protein and one full gallon of water per day

I gained five lbs. In fact since May 28th I have gained all the weight I lost last summer.
    Now MFP indicates I should eat 1300 calories a day.

Help
    nb

Did you mean your BMR or your TDEE?

I'm not sure what you use to calculate it, but this is the online calculator I use. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If you aren't using a food scale- I highly recommend getting one. They are pretty cheap and much more accurate than using measuring cups.
  • barnesna
    yes
    stats?
  • Azexas
  • Azexas
    yes
    stats?

Stats= Height/weight/how much to lose/activity level
  • barnesna
    I love this flow chart.
    Basically on this journey I began the last week in may. I am using a fit bit too.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/barnesna

I have told myself if I see no results in the next week or so, I will either 1. go to a dietician or 2. go to MD I am getting so discouraged.
  • Azexas
    What does your fitbit give you as your daily calorie burn?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Has your waist measurement gone down? I'm thinking with all that exercise you might be seeing some "recomp" going on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    usually takes 3-4 weeks to see a trendline emerging- most people jump the gun on making changes.

secondly- we need to know how tall you are and how much you're trying to lose.
    More often than not- the chronic problem across the board is over estimation of calorie burns and under estimation of calories consumed.

at 55 years old as a female unless you're really over weight- I have a hard time seeing you need almost 2000 calories to lose.
    Follow up with that if you ARE that over weight- you're calorie burns are probably lower than you think.

Remember that the closer to your goal weight- the harder it is to lose weight- i'm within 10 pounds of my current concept of ideal weight- it's a constant battle I frequently lose.

I would agree that if you make an adjustment and you aren't seeing a change in a month- perhaps it's time to check in with your physician.
  • carlataylor779
    carlataylor779 Posts: 1 Member
    The amount of exercise you're doing it could be muscle mass that you're building. You need to get on one of those scales that measure body fat %. I think it sends a tiny electrical current around your body to calculate it... I think? It's not all about the scale either, take your measurements and look at the inches your losing. That'll give you an indication of whether it's muscle you're gaining rather than fat.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member

I chart everything, I weigh everything.

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE. If you're steadily gaining weight, you're eating at a surplus. As others have already said upthread, you need to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • barnesna
    You all are awesome!
    My fam says my face is thinner and my neck, my pants are a bit loose but not significant, bra straps are loose. Daily calorie burn is no less than 2500 and up to 3300 on some days. I will not give up!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    The amount of exercise you're doing it could be muscle mass that you're building. You need to get on one of those scales that measure body fat %. I think it sends a tiny electrical current around your body to calculate it... I think? It's not all about the scale either, take your measurements and look at the inches your losing. That'll give you an indication of whether it's muscle you're gaining rather than fat.

magic 8 ball says not muscle building.
  • Azexas

If she is in a deficit it is almost impossible to build muscle. ( unless its noobie gains)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    You're probably eating more than you realize if you are not weighing your foods.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    after viewing your log, it doesn't give me the impression that you are logging things correctly or weighing them correctly either.

This.
    Also, as an aside, you may want to increase consumption of green vegetables in there. They are particularly absent...
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Basic rule of thumb: If it's a solid food, put it on your scale and weigh it, if it's liquid use a measuring cup. Weigh in grams as they are more accurate.

A portion on the package rarely equals what the nutrition label states. Fruit is not uniform size, nor are cup measurements or inches of a bread stick. You are most likely overestimating what you are eating.