Cheap Fitness Tracker??

Options
I was thinking about getting a tracker for my calories when I go on walks, or to track calories burned during daily things, like around the house. I am new to this, and don't have the extra $$ to spend on a Fitbit. I won't be doing any running, at least not for a while... Any recommendations for something cheaper? I don't really want to spend more than $40 if I can help it.

Replies

• theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I see the Jawbone UP band at Costco for $40ish. It's the one you plug in to your phone, not the UP24.
    Check Amazon for used ones; sometimes you can get a great deal.

If all you want to do is track steps look at the Fitbit Zip or something that clips on to your pants, they are around your price range. I ended up sticking my FitBit wrist band in my pocket so it gets better accuracy. When I'd push a shopping cart or carry something and my arm didn't move I lost all those steps.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I see the Jawbone UP band at Costco for $40ish. It's the one you plug in to your phone, not the UP24.
    Check Amazon for used ones; sometimes you can get a great deal.

Jawbone customer service is awful. There's even a class action suit for disgruntled customers.

Fitbit Zip is $60. You can find them cheaper on Craigslist or eBay.

I don't run, and I love my Fitbit. It calculates my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the number of calories to maintain my current weight, and syncs with MFP. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The FitBit Zip is around $50 on Amazon (Target.com, Wal-Mart.com) it doesn't track sleep (or stairs) .....but that's not a big deal for most people. FitBit has been doing the activity tracker thing for many years (reliable and syncs without issues).

One good thing about a popular device.....you can link with friends accounts and that can be very motivating.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It won't help you with indoor steps, but the MAPMYFITNESS app uses your phone's GPS to track your speed and distance traveled to calculate your calorie burn. The app is free and is put out by under armor like MYFITNESSPAL is so it will automatically log your workout into your daily diary.
  • laurentroppmann
    laurentroppmann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have a good cell phone, there are a number of apps that are free which you can download and then will track your number of steps / activity (as long as you are carrying your phone). Slightly different, I use an app, Endomondo, on my cel phone to track my runs and walks, and it gives me distance, calories and even interfaces to Myfitnesspal.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    See, I wanted to try an app on my phone, but I'm running out of room. So basically, the Fitbit is where it's at... I really don't want to spend that much, but I need to start walking more, as a lot of workout options aren't in the cards for me yet. I looked at Meijer last night after work, but there were like 10 different options and I got overwhelmed. I will have to see if that $60 one is in my budget. I appreciate your help! If anyone else has any other suggestions, I am open for them!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I looked at Meijer last night after work, but there were like 10 different options and I got overwhelmed!

There's a chart on this page explaining the features of the different Fitbits: https://www.fitbit.com/compare The $60 Zip tracks steps, calories, distance, and active minutes.

All Fitbits sync with MFP. If you're looking at other brands, check the "Apps" tab at the top of every page to see if they sync with MFP: http://myfitnesspal.com/apps
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, the zip is a good choice and it's only a little above your price range. I have the zip, I love it, it does everything I need it to, and I really like not having anything on my wrist. So I don't know if you have a bed bath and beyond in your area, but if you do, you can sign up to get their mobile 20% off coupons and that will save you a little. Just bite the bullet and do it! The Fitbit was a game changer for me.
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    No BB&B near me. I wish! I will check Target. I was just really hoping for cheaper. Oh well. You get what you pay for, right?
  • FinallyFit28
    FinallyFit28 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    They have more affordable ones out there. I've been shopping around for mine for at least a month before deciding on my Samsung Gear S. However, I've checked out the New Balance fitness tracker which does the calorie, time, steps and pretty sure another thing but I can't remember. Since you're just beginning and you're not sure how committed you'll be this one would be a good start. Check out Target and WalMart on what they have. I hope you'll come to LOVE working out...I truly feel my Best after my workouts Take care and good luck!
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in: "You get what you pay for"

On the other hand, sometimes expensive things can be utter crap lol!
  • Kimegatron
    edited June 2015
    Options
    They have more affordable ones out there. I've been shopping around for mine for at least a month before deciding on my Samsung Gear S. However, I've checked out the New Balance fitness tracker which does the calorie, time, steps and pretty sure another thing but I can't remember. Since you're just beginning and you're not sure how committed you'll be this one would be a good start. Check out Target and WalMart on what they have. I hope you'll come to LOVE working out...I truly feel my Best after my workouts Take care and good luck!

Thank you! I have issues with pain, and right now I really only feel comfortable walking for right now. I have been apprehensive about the Fitbit brand, because I'm not sure if I will commit, I just have to try. I don't have a Walmart near me, but I will try Target. If I end up doing awesome at this, and things become less painful, I will see about upgrading to something like Fitbit.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...but I need to start walking more

So walk more. You don't need a device to tell you to do that.

There are plenty devices out there, although FitBit has greatest market penetration and a lot of disciples, some of whom seem to be on commission. For simple step counting a pedometer will give you enough data to work with, the only benefit of something that connects wirelessly is automatic synch with services like this.

I do have an activity tracker, but I personally don't pimp the brand on these threads as what's right for me isn't uncritically going to be right for you. What I would say is that I don't see a compelling reason to bother. It doesn't tell me anything I didn't know already.

If budget is a concern, then it doesn't sound like it's worth it for you.

• adcrag1
    adcrag1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a Mysync Tracker, it no longer syncs to Android phones, so basically I feel ripped off. It still does track steps, calories, ect, but too much work to manually log info.

Hope this helps.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Since YOU want to just track steps, I don't know how you feel about ordering one, but here are some under $40.00

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/searchresults.html?query=pedometer&x=52&y=11#search:pedometer/0/score|DESC/list/16/
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    ...but I need to start walking more

So walk more. You don't need a device to tell you to do that.

There are plenty devices out there, although FitBit has greatest market penetration and a lot of disciples, some of whom seem to be on commission. For simple step counting a pedometer will give you enough data to work with, the only benefit of something that connects wirelessly is automatic synch with services like this.

I do have an activity tracker, but I personally don't pimp the brand on these threads as what's right for me isn't uncritically going to be right for you. What I would say is that I don't see a compelling reason to bother. It doesn't tell me anything I didn't know already.

If budget is a concern, then it doesn't sound like it's worth it for you.

I said that as a statement... I had already bought the fitbit that night.
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    Why would I need a device to tell me that? I needed the device to track my activity level. It also have me a reason to walk more often, since 5-ish miles every weekend wasn't cutting it.