In need of serious support

Options
So I joined MFP quite a while back, and I was successful and dropped around 45lbs. Then I started to slow down. It was getting harder and harder to lose weight. Eventually, I completely stalled. For months, and months. I tried everything. I tried increasing the intensity of my workouts, tried eating more, tried different workouts, but nothing. Nothing happened. I think eventually, I got discouraged and started working out less and less. Slowly the weight started to pile back on. Now I find myself at around 15lbs if not more gained back.

I also just got married, and am finding it increasingly difficult to stick to healthy eating habits with another person in the house. My husband has been extremely supportive, and doesn't buy junk food anymore, but I find myself enjoying spoonfuls of his peanut butter instead of my natural peanut butter.

Does anyone have any advice on how to be healthy with other people in the home. I'm also looking for support to help me get back into working out.

Could people post some of their transformations? Particularly from P90X?

Replies

• JTB51
    JTB51 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there, my wife is big on juke food and always has a stash in the house. I can avoid buying it in the stores, but once it is in the house I have to eat huge quantities of it. After asking several times for her to cut back because of my lack of will power. She refused to do so. I made a choice and decided it was all on me. She might buy it, but she isn't forcing me to eat it, So I had to find healthy snacks I love to keep me less tempted to eat her food. I plateaued and took me over a year to break it. It tooks lots of tweaking my diet, and excersise plan. So far in all with P90X/P90X3 I lost 30lbs and counting
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Crimson21 wrote: »
    S...I find myself enjoying spoonfuls of his peanut butter instead of my natural peanut butter.

The problem isn't which peanut butter, the problem is "spoonfuls" of it.

Open your diary....

ETA: Nevermind, your diary is empty. Problem solved...you're eating to much for your activity level - start logging!

You know how many hours a day you'd have to do P90X to make up for "spoonfuls" of peanut butter...?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food on a food scale?
    Dont use cups and spoons or serving sizes but weigh your food. I also noticed no logging
    How do you know how much calories you eat?
  • lbreito78
    lbreito78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am using a very easy to follow plan with real food and while my husband doesn't really know it, he's doing it for one meal a day! I cook dinner and dessert with recipes from my plan and he has liked almost all of them! We also have 2 16 year olds and the house is full of junk. But I fill up on fruit and veggies so I don't have room for any crap! I haven't tried P90 but here's my transformation:

• Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Crimson! A lot of my clients have similar types of issues, motivation can drop from time to time, as we're only human at the end of the day. Setting out a good structure and solid plan is a really good way to get around this. Writing down some goals along with the plan isideal to do to go along with your plan. I'll link in a transformation of my most recent client shortly. James
  • Sangsterr
    Sangsterr Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    JTB51 wrote: »
    She refused to do so. I made a choice and decided it was all on me. She might buy it, but she isn't forcing me to eat it...

This, this and more of this. It's all about will power and setting priorities. I live with another person as well and while she tries not to tempt me with food, her eating style is much different than mine. Plus she likes to eat out a lot which is tough for me on my diet.

The problem isn't your husband, its you. We can only blame ourselves for what we put into our bodies. I think it's important for each of us to take responsibility for that so that we cannot blame others as a crutch for failure. You have to have the strength and conviction to keep working out and to keep eating well no matter the results or what those around you eat. It's really tough. I failed for about a decade before I finally became committed.

Also Mr_Knight is right. Spoonfulls of peanut butter is a problem no matter what type you are using.

Good Luck!!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    JTB51 wrote: »
    She refused to do so. I made a choice and decided it was all on me. She might buy it, but she isn't forcing me to eat it...

This, this and more of this. It's all about will power and setting priorities. I live with another person as well and while she tries not to tempt me with food, her eating style is much different than mine. Plus she likes to eat out a lot which is tough for me on my diet.

The problem isn't your husband, its you. We can only blame ourselves for what we put into our bodies. I think it's important for each of us to take responsibility for that so that we cannot blame others as a crutch for failure. You have to have the strength and conviction to keep working out and to keep eating well no matter the results or what those around you eat. It's really tough. I failed for about a decade before I finally became committed.

Also Mr_Knight is right. Spoonfulls of peanut butter is a problem no matter what type you are using.

Good Luck!!

Yes, yes, yes! I also struggle with a husband to likes to eat out and share food with me. I have learned that it is ultimately up to me. I now plan around eating out and make healthier choices while we're out and also just stand up for myself and say "no, I really don't want to eat that." It's definitely harder, but it's possible.

And, I also agree that the only way to lose weight (and the only way to avoid gaining) is to LOG EVERYTHING (weighed solids and measured liquids and best you can do when you're out). Good luck!
  • LeslieB042812
    Options
    Also, I used to have a roommate who got in a habit of eating "just a few spoonfuls" of peanut butter each night and you could practically watch her hips grow! That stuff adds up fast! lol
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! I also struggle with a husband to likes to eat out and share food with me. I have learned that it is ultimately up to me. I now plan around eating out and make healthier choices while we're out and also just stand up for myself and say "no, I really don't want to eat that." It's definitely harder, but it's possible.

And, I also agree that the only way to lose weight (and the only way to avoid gaining) is to LOG EVERYTHING (weighed solids and measured liquids and best you can do when you're out). Good luck!

I do the same :)

We have come to an agreement that we can eat out a few times a week when she wants, but she has to tell me several hours in advance. Then I go online, look through the nutritional menu, and plan out my meal.
  • stephaniesever
    stephaniesever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am laughing reading all of the peanut butter comments. I love peanut butter and just can't have it in the house, period. My husband would watch me eating spoonfuls and would remind me that bodybuilders eat peanut butter to bulk up...that kinda says it all. Good luck Crimson21! Have just started logging AGAIN myself and hope to see good results. It's not easy and at times just plain sucks, but it can be done.
  • LeslieB042812
    Options
    JMC3Terp wrote: »

I do the same :)

We have come to an agreement that we can eat out a few times a week when she wants, but she has to tell me several hours in advance. Then I go online, look through the nutritional menu, and plan out my meal.

Nice to know I'm not the only one. :smile: Thanks for the camaraderie!
  • DylanThomas2
    DylanThomas2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am stalling myself even thinking of buying a new food scale because mine is old and I am afraid its accuracy may be fading. The eye test tells me I am losing weight I can see more definition in my arms and chest but still have belly fat and leg fat. I believe firmly in CICO so I am sticking with the same plan I have been using but thinking of increasing my cardio workouts to burn some more calories and get the rest of the fat off this body.
  • Telsera
    Telsera Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. Thanks for the reminder that my bf isn't forcing me to eat all the tasty food at his house or get fast food with him. Time to get out the tupperwares again and go back to being OCD about weighing and meal prep... We can do this!
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking all the dinners so my husband is not eating his usual junk food. Everyone on here who is taking about measuring and weighing everything is right though based on my personal experiences. I have gained 8 more pounds and I have been on here for 170 days this time around. I realized it last week. I am eating a lot better but it's the portions I have to watch now. I hate junk food.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should be a bit more clear with a couple things. I don't eat spoonfuls of my peanut butter. I eat spoonfuls of his! Haha. He sometimes has to hide it from me or put it on a top shelf so I don't reach it. (I'm short). Much less tempting that way. Also, the reason I haven't been logging food is because I haven't been motivated to do so! Which is why my journal is empty. I've actually considered creating a fitness binder that I can keep at work, to keep me motivated all day, and to make sure I don't pick pizza for lunch. Thanks everyone!
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    So I joined MFP quite a while back, and I was successful and dropped around 45lbs. Then I started to slow down. It was getting harder and harder to lose weight. Eventually, I completely stalled. For months, and months. I tried everything. I tried increasing the intensity of my workouts, tried eating more, tried different workouts, but nothing. Nothing happened. I think eventually, I got discouraged and started working out less and less. Slowly the weight started to pile back on. Now I find myself at around 15lbs if not more gained back.

I also just got married, and am finding it increasingly difficult to stick to healthy eating habits with another person in the house. My husband has been extremely supportive, and doesn't buy junk food anymore, but I find myself enjoying spoonfuls of his peanut butter instead of my natural peanut butter.

Does anyone have any advice on how to be healthy with other people in the home. I'm also looking for support to help me get back into working out.

I follow this on Instagram and it is motivating home_squats and befitsnacks to name a few.
  • LeslieB042812
    Options
    Maybe I should be a bit more clear with a couple things. I don't eat spoonfuls of my peanut butter. I eat spoonfuls of his! Haha. He sometimes has to hide it from me or put it on a top shelf so I don't reach it. (I'm short). Much less tempting that way. Also, the reason I haven't been logging food is because I haven't been motivated to do so! Which is why my journal is empty. I've actually considered creating a fitness binder that I can keep at work, to keep me motivated all day, and to make sure I don't pick pizza for lunch. Thanks everyone!

Hahaha do the calories count if it's not your peanut butter? They couldn't be your calories if it's not yours, right?! :wink:

I can relate to the lack of motivation to log. It helps me to just take it one moment at a time. So, I don't tell myself I'm going to log everything all week (or even all day), just that I'll log what I'm eating now. Or, if I slip up and eat stuff without measuring or logging, I commit to logging after the fact (even though it's just a guess). That helps me get in the habit and get re-motivated.

Good luck!