Stopping hunger after workouts on a budget?

Options
I seem to get hungrier after working out. I'm trying to eat healthier and less than I have but how do I manage that feeling while on a budget?
At the moment, shake mix is too expensive. Is there another way to help?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP has already calculated how few calories you need to eat to lose weight at the rate you specified (.5 to 2 pounds per week). When you exercise, to maintain that same rate of loss, you get extra calories so why not make use of some of them? You don't need protein powders or anything special, just eat what you usually eat.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Buy some un popped corn, costs very little. Pop it in a very small amount of oil and sprinkle it with cinnamon.

A slice of toast with peanut butter. a banana with honey?
  • MaggiePaton
    MaggiePaton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was told apple, string cheese, hard-boiled eggs are good pre/post workout food.
  • summerrsmith
    summerrsmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated, you lose a lot of fluids after a hard workout.
    Gum is an easy trick to help suppress appetite.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I grow peppermint in my garden and I swear chewing on a few leaves kills my cravings. Been growing it for a couple years and only recently started doing this lol.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yougurt with 15g protein in it after my night time workouts. Keeps me full till I get up in the morning.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Scoop of peanut butter and/or handful of peanuts. Great for satiety.
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    Scoop of peanut butter and/or handful of peanuts. Great for satiety.

There is a study to back up this theory ;)

plus nuts have a good amount of protein

• KimTransformed
    KimTransformed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I seem to get hungrier after working out. I'm trying to eat healthier and less than I have but how do I manage that feeling while on a budget?
    At the moment, shake mix is too expensive. Is there another way to help?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

If you drink milk, cocunut/almond/or soy milk have a cup, I carry 30grams of almonds & have dried dates in my gym bag always to instantly get food in to stay in anabolic state, any kind of dry dried fruit & nuts works to keep in your gym bag. If your at home eat a meal. My bf and I prep our meals and cook every 3 days, we eat on a budget, buy bag red rice and add chopped onions, peppers, and garlic (red rice more nutrient dense than white rice, also lower glycemic index), buy black turtle beans , cans at Walmart are approx 80cents in Canada, and we buy chicken breast, however you can choose any protein source , even ground chicken/turkey/beef are usually on sale, get whatever meat is on sale that week and work with it, another key is to try and keep yourself fed every 2-3 hours even if its jus a quick snack, if body is not fed at appropriate times , you can and will overeat , and even your body will end up storing more cals/fat, bcs it thinks its in starvation mode. Eat whatever is in season, that is another helpful way to eat on a budget, check out the grocery flyers/circulars , all the Best :)
  • mandilee215
    mandilee215 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some of those are great suggestions and I'll start trying some of them. :)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Try buying whatever veggies and fruits are in season. These will be the best priced. Good luck!
  • KimTransformed
    KimTransformed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I eat Greek yougurt with 15g protein in it after my night time workouts. Keeps me full till I get up in the morning. [/
    Greek yougurt is a great choice, high in protein and fats, however it is very expensive, more than regular yougurts, she is looking for something that is inexpensive , and on a budget , all the best :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I eat Greek yougurt with 15g protein in it after my night time workouts. Keeps me full till I get up in the morning. [/
    Greek yougurt is a great choice, high in protein and fats, however it is very expensive, more than regular yougurts, she is looking for something that is inexpensive , and on a budget , all the best :)

Hard to know what to recommend because I don't know her budget but my greek yogurt costs 89¢ a container.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Raspberries and half a Nature Valley Crunchy Granola bar.

They ought to pay me, as many times as I've recommended that today, lol. They really are extremely filling.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, string cheese, eggs, peanut butter, chocolate milk. Try carrots or apples dipped in peanut butter, very filling, cheap and nutritious.