Counting Macros and exercise

Options
Shray26
Shray26 Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Question: its my understanding that i don't have to input my exercises in mfp becasue its already factored into TDEE. Im a mail carrier and walk at least 7-10 miles per day and i work out 3-4 times per week. Is this true?

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by iifym (I know this to be a way of eating, not a programme of any kind)

If you know your TDEE just eat a multiple of 250 under your TDEE each day (each multiple of 250 calories eaten under your TDEE is equal to 0.5lb lost per week)

If the above is essentially what you are doing then no, you don't have to input exercise as it's already accounted for. (I find this much easier, although if I'm doing substantially more exercise than usual on one day I may eat an extra 50-150 calories depending on what I did)
  • geekandgranola
    geekandgranola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you used the IIFYM calculator you would have included your level of exercise and your lifestyle (sedentary or otherwise) so there shouldn't be any adjusting for calories. IIFYM sticks to the idea that if those numbers are included in the beginning then you don't need to adjust daily for exercise.

If you want to track exercise (because sometimes it's just encouraging to see), then I would recommend just keeping track of the grams of each you need per day and keep that in mind. So if entering your exercise makes MFP tell you that you get 100 more grams of carbs you will know that isn't necessarily the case and to stick to the numbers you have for macro goals.

I workout pretty regularly and stopped tracking my exercise. I use MFP just to keep track of my macros :)
  • Shray26
    Shray26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Got it When i would log exercise it into mfp more calories were added so ill stop. Thank you.