Estimate my body fat percentage (pics included)

Options
anask4
anask4 Posts: 86 Member
Hey guys, I was hoping you could take a look at these pictures and give me an estimate of my bf%. Currently I have low lbm and high body fat, and am cutting at around a 350 cal deficit. I lift heavy 4 days a week, and also do some cardio, mostly HIIT for about 12 minutes. My plan is to go on a slow lean bulk once I am lean enough. If I had to guess myself, I would say I am still in the high teens

Front Relaxed
pt2qi0je35w3.jpg

Front Flexed
rfodqisdg9hw.jpg

Side Relaxed
flh6wq1zkm16.jpg

Side Flexed
4zggokn2cooj.jpg

Back
0w2u78h58nvm.jpg

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am going to guess.... high teens/low 20's. If i had to give a number... 22%?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    Low to mid 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • msalamun
    msalamun Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend picking up a caliper and doing it yourself. They're really cheap, usually available at any health and fitness store, and still the most accurate method of measuring body fat.

Here's a site that tells you where to measure on your body to determine your body fat percentage:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

I recommend the 3-site method; it's quick, easy, and you can do it by yourself. Most other sites require some additional hands.
  • anask4
    edited June 2015
    Options
    msalamun wrote: »
    I highly recommend picking up a caliper and doing it yourself. They're really cheap, usually available at any health and fitness store, and still the most accurate method of measuring body fat.

Here's a site that tells you where to measure on your body to determine your body fat percentage:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

I recommend the 3-site method; it's quick, easy, and you can do it by yourself. Most other sites require some additional hands.

I actually have tried doing that. According to calipers, I am about 15-16% body fat, but I felt that that was too low, probably due to user error.
    EDIT- The 3 site method puts me at 15.1% and the 4 site puts me at 14.6
  • georgepojani7
    georgepojani7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    18% - 22%
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    20 to 22% ….
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Albertsons (or SupreValu) has a body fat measurement machine in store that you can use for free. It might not be perfect, but it's pretty good. You might want to see if you have one in your area or look it up online. :)
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage is tough to estimate. So I am not even going to try and guess a number. If you want something reliable get a DEXA scan. But they may be a little pricey, not sure.

Anyway, don't fret over it.

good calorie deficit!

If you focus in the 4-6 rep range, chances are you will probably add some strength and muscle while dropping body fat.

Also, I find it very effective to focus on exercises such as
    Incline Bench Press
    Standing Shoulder Press
    Weighted Chin Ups
    Barbells Curls
    Pistol Squats

Hope that helps man!
  • anask4
    Options
    First off I want to thank everyone for their input.
    Second, do you guys think it would be plausible to get to 15% BF or below by around October? By the way, I am 5'6" and weigh 143 lbs.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    anask4 wrote: »
    First off I want to thank everyone for their input.
    Second, do you guys think it would be plausible to get to 15% BF or below by around October? By the way, I am 5'6" and weigh 143 lbs.

assuming you are 20% that would mean that you have to lose about 7-10 pounds to get to 15%….so if you lost a pound a week it should take you about seven to ten weeks, so yes that is possible.

do you currently strength train?
  • anask4
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yup I lift heavy 4 days a week which revolves around compound movements such as bench pressing, squats, deadlifts, rows.

Many people recommend not losing more than half a pound a week to preserve muscle mass. Do you think I can get away with being more aggressive?
  • tmdpotts
    tmdpotts Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    you seem to lack lean muscle mass, you best option is to find a program to have you add some strength and lean mass.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    anask4 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yup I lift heavy 4 days a week which revolves around compound movements such as bench pressing, squats, deadlifts, rows.

Many people recommend not losing more than half a pound a week to preserve muscle mass. Do you think I can get away with being more aggressive?

yes, you should be able to lose a pound per week and still preserve mass.

Are you on a structured program or a home designed one?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lol , at least 27%, look at chest hanging and protruding tummy.

was the LOL really necessary? The guy is posting pictures asking for an estimate and you come up with that...?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Low 20s, I think. I always think that this is a good ballpark eye test estimate:

body-fat-percentage-men-and-women.png

yea, I use this too ...

I had OP between the 20 and 25 pic, so went with 22...
  • anask4
    Options
    Thanks guys. Knowing my bf makes it easier to get a sense of how Long I will be cutting for.
    Also thanks for coming to my defense haha
  • gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Agree with most people here. I would say 23 to 24% bodyfat. Watch your macros and good luck.