Coconut oil for fat loss

Options
13»

Replies

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    In my day, using magical as an adjective for food, usually indicated hallucinations after ingestion.
    ^^^^Hahahaha...that's what I was thinking also. ;)

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I lost all my 95 pounds till now and coconut oil was a huge part of my journey till today and will be in the future!

Every day i was using coconut oil. Yes, every day since i started this journey and i feel marvelous!

My adventure started in October 2014
    I was in a pretty bad shape. High BP, sugar levels to high, heart racing and out of breath and other things among that.
    I really thought i would die.

At that point i had enough and knew when i dont do something than the rest of my short life will be as miserable as h***.
    So i drew out a plan that i could sustain and get me at my desired weight. A healthy weight. But above all fit and in shape. The best shape i could be at my age and with my issues.

I knew i had to go back to some of my old habits to get healthier and fitter again.
    So i started walking every day ( in the beginning 5 minutes a day, i couldn't do more) And i went back to cooking from scratch, creating a deficit and practicing portion control and moderation.
    And i started to feel better and better
    I walked more, started to get a hang of the ( still strange) foods ( i moved from Holland to the US) and cooking my own way again. I picked up swimming.
    Got fitter and lost weight like nothing...Really 32 pounds in my first month... and the rest came off in the time after that
    And i was sticking to what i was doing. Kept my deficit. Every single day. I was patient.
    I trained..yes i call it training now. It was no longer just walking for 5 minutes. But a real jog of 20 minutes was possible and i did 90 minutes total of exercising
    And i started more swimming... every day.

Fast forward to today ( of course the results came over the months) My BP is excellent again, like a young dog.
    My sugar levels are excellent, well lab results are all excellent.
    I feel marvelous, confident, yes pretty even sometimes with my almost 50 years. I am proud of what i am doing.
    I have my chin high and i was always a happy person and positive too. But there is a difference now.

And i wear shorts!!! something i didn't wear since i was 15 years old.

Now were does the coconut fits in, you will ask
    Every single day...and i mean every single day that i swim i have a high risk of burning ( after all i have Dutch blood in my veins) so the burning factor and the my skin drying out is the one thing that will keep me from swimming and getting my exercise in...it is HOT in Vegas you know.
    So every day i go swimming i use the coconut oil all over me to not get burned and dry out!

So yes my 95 loss is totally because of my use of coconut oil.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote:
    Are there no magical foods?
    Dark chocolate.

OP, read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Then this.
    And you might find the links to useful info in this post beneficial.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I would only disagree with his last line, about the breaking out. It does the opposite for me.

I use coconut oil for everything except food, I think. Hair, moisturizer, I use it for shaving, put it on my cat, mix it with gardenia essential oil and make candles, and, uh...other things. I do use it in stir fry and sometimes in baking when oil is called for because of its taste.

You're not the first person to mention the "other things" benefit. Will have to try this. It's certainly cheaper than what I'm using now.

What are you using now? KY?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    hello
    Has anyone tried taking coconut oil to assist fat loss? Been doing some research and it seems a great way to go.

Nope, it's a fad and a fallacy.

However, I will tell you that the Coconut Bliss chocolate hazelnut ice cream with a dollop of Dannon toasted coconut vanilla yogurt on top that I just had for desert was delicious! All 77 grams of ice cream and 40 grams of yogurt.

Goooooo............

Realistic-coconut-design-vector-material-01.jpg

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I would only disagree with his last line, about the breaking out. It does the opposite for me.

I use coconut oil for everything except food, I think. Hair, moisturizer, I use it for shaving, put it on my cat, mix it with gardenia essential oil and make candles, and, uh...other things. I do use it in stir fry and sometimes in baking when oil is called for because of its taste.

You're not the first person to mention the "other things" benefit. Will have to try this. It's certainly cheaper than what I'm using now.

This is how we get ants.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This is how we get ants.

*shudders*
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Can you fry the ants in coconut oil for a healthy paleo snack? How would you log that.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Can you fry the ants in coconut oil for a healthy paleo snack? How would you log that.

I wonder if you could pulse them into a homemade protein powder...may be easier to log that way.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I wonder if you could pulse them into a homemade protein powder...may be easier to log that way.

Yep. just grind 'em well. :D
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Yep. just grind 'em well. :D

or use them as sprinkles on your ice cream...or does that go to far....it is coconut ice cream

zisnril5xqjd.jpg

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I used it to help clear candida as it is packed with linoleic acid.
    Rather candid of you to share that.
  • webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    Options

See, the husbando and I are considering expanding our great dynasty and now you got me wondering if this stuff will be better at not holding up the couriers than what we sometimes use.
  • leica0000
    leica0000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hello
    Has anyone tried taking coconut oil to assist fat loss? Been doing some research and it seems a great way to go.

I'm surprised at the responses. Coconut oil is extremely healthy, possible the healthiest of oils used in cooking, and could easily be substituted for most of the other oils, it can also be used on hands and hair as a moisturiser / hot oil treatment.

You could make the case for it being an aid in weight loss - it's obviously low carb and sugar-free and fats and fats do leave you feeling fuller for much longer than carbs.

I've started eating popcorn popped in coconut oil with sparkling water to drink. It leaves me feeling full for hours and I can generally skip lunch if I have the equivalent of a couple of cereal bowls full. Try that with a breakfast bar. You'll be hungry in 2 hours in my experience.

So yes, I do believe it can help you in weight loss.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    leica0000 wrote: »
    hello

I'm surprised at the responses. Coconut oil is extremely healthy, possible the healthiest of oils used in cooking, and could easily be substituted for most of the other oils, it can also be used on hands and hair as a moisturiser / hot oil treatment.

You could make the case for it being an aid in weight loss - it's obviously low carb and sugar-free and fats and fats do leave you feeling fuller for much longer than carbs.

I've started eating popcorn popped in coconut oil with sparkling water to drink. It leaves me feeling full for hours and I can generally skip lunch if I have the equivalent of a couple of cereal bowls full. Try that with a breakfast bar. You'll be hungry in 2 hours in my experience.

So yes, I do believe it can help you in weight loss.

Eating a few bowls of popcorn instead of lunch is not something I would suggest to anyone.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Considering my mild allergy to coconut this entire thread is just horrifying
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Considering my mild allergy to coconut this entire thread is just horrifying

Coconuts are evil and these people want to spread their oil in and around their bodies? I'm with you JerseyGirl (I'm from NJ, so I know the "crazy" is implied - wink).

tumblr_lzvwo4hY491rq6q8ao1_250.gif

giphy.gif
  • AlexKuznetsov
    AlexKuznetsov Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost all my 95 pounds till now and coconut oil was a huge part of my journey till today and will be in the future!

Every day i was using coconut oil. Yes, every day since i started this journey and i feel marvelous!

My adventure started in October 2014
    I was in a pretty bad shape. High BP, sugar levels to high, heart racing and out of breath and other things among that.
    I really thought i would die.

At that point i had enough and knew when i dont do something than the rest of my short life will be as miserable as h***.
    So i drew out a plan that i could sustain and get me at my desired weight. A healthy weight. But above all fit and in shape. The best shape i could be at my age and with my issues.

I knew i had to go back to some of my old habits to get healthier and fitter again.
    So i started walking every day ( in the beginning 5 minutes a day, i couldn't do more) And i went back to cooking from scratch, creating a deficit and practicing portion control and moderation.
    And i started to feel better and better
    I walked more, started to get a hang of the ( still strange) foods ( i moved from Holland to the US) and cooking my own way again. I picked up swimming.
    Got fitter and lost weight like nothing...Really 32 pounds in my first month... and the rest came off in the time after that
    And i was sticking to what i was doing. Kept my deficit. Every single day. I was patient.
    I trained..yes i call it training now. It was no longer just walking for 5 minutes. But a real jog of 20 minutes was possible and i did 90 minutes total of exercising
    And i started more swimming... every day.

Fast forward to today ( of course the results came over the months) My BP is excellent again, like a young dog.
    My sugar levels are excellent, well lab results are all excellent.
    I feel marvelous, confident, yes pretty even sometimes with my almost 50 years. I am proud of what i am doing.
    I have my chin high and i was always a happy person and positive too. But there is a difference now.

And i wear shorts!!! something i didn't wear since i was 15 years old.

Now were does the coconut fits in, you will ask
    Every single day...and i mean every single day that i swim i have a high risk of burning ( after all i have Dutch blood in my veins) so the burning factor and the my skin drying out is the one thing that will keep me from swimming and getting my exercise in...it is HOT in Vegas you know.
    So every day i go swimming i use the coconut oil all over me to not get burned and dry out!

So yes my 95 loss is totally because of my use of coconut oil.
    Thanks
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Really? Just because you read something on someone's blog or website does not mean that you are researching. Look for cited peer reviewed (primary) literature. Are there controls? Sample sizes greater than 1? Statistics? Then it might actually be worth reading.