Eating 1200 cals as only 4ft11

Options
As I am only short I have been eating 1200 cals daily for last 6 months and lost 21lb. Now weight loss seems to have stalled (still weighing everything). Cannot reduce cals further so how do I carry on losing now I have less weight to lose - about 14 to 21 lbs. Do I have to start exercising now?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How long has it been since you've lost?
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    4ft 11. Age 48. Started 186 now 140 ish. Seem to be losing and gaining the same 1 to 2 lb for about 4 weeks now. I know how to log etc. No prob with that. Can't eat less and a bit loath to eat more being so little
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    TDEE calculators say either 1410 or 1571 to maintain. Can you open up your diary? If it's as accurate as you say, exercise may be the thing to help out.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    How much are you still trying to lose? Exercising will aid in fitness, but weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    If you are confident you are logging correctly.... then I would say Yes, try some exercises to reduce your calories.
    Good Luck.
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I started here in the new year and I have lost 30lbs so far and still want to drop another 15 but I have been gaining and losing the same 1-2lbs each week for the past 6 weeks.
    I changed up my workout but still nothing. I think it may be what they call a plateau so I am just trying to be patient and continue to log and exercise.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    This calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

says that at your age/height/weight your BMI is 28.3
    and to maintain 140 lb
    if you're inactive, you need 716 cal/day
    if you're active less than 1 hour / day, you need 1042 cal
    if you're active about 1 hour / day, you need 1347 cal
    if you're active more than 1 hour / day, you need 1856 cal

For 125 lb that becomes 648 / 963 / 1258 / 1750 and your BMI would be 25.3.

So if you want to keep eating 1200 cal/day, you need to be active at least 1 hour/day.
    Or you could reduce portion sizes, or substitute things with higher bulk & fewer calories so you still feel like
    you're eating a lot but you'll be getting fewer calories.

Why do you say you "can't eat less"? Is it because of that rule of thumb that women of average size shouldn't
    eat less than 1200 cal/day? You know you're not average size, right? So don't worry about that limit.
    I have someone on my friends list who's about your size, and I think she's eating 800-ish cal/day.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been exercising as of yet, you should start now. Do resistance training and HIIT cardio. If you need some help, hit me up. I'm always happy to give some pointers. Weight loss is just so much more efficient with exercise. Plus, exercising like I suggested above will help to keep your metabolism up and protect your muscle mass as you diet down.
  • jacquemack0627
    jacquemack0627 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently came across the same issue. I'm 5 ft. lost 30 lbs. and then was "stuck" I questioned my doctor when I went in for a normal visit and she informed me that my body has now got used to the "new" way of eating and I would have to add more exercise into my day in order to burn more. Hope it helps.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    don't drop your calories, just move more, find ways to add exercise to your day, it can be as simple as a few 20 min walks.

I'm only a few inches taller and I know they can make a difference but I lose eating 1900 cals /maintain on 2200. I am active and get moving when I can despite having a sedentary job.
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I will start moving more and hopefully I will see my weight move in the right direction. Not in any hurry