What do you do when you're hungry before bed-time?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh, I still have ~400 calories for today but I thought eating right before bed wasn't a good idea. :s

you have 400 calories left and you're hungry .. you eat them

meal timing has no impact on weight loss .. just calorie defecit
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I think I'm a freak of nature, either that or people just don't realize how naturally lazy I am. I don't eat much and yet I don't get hungry often. Then again I work 11pm-7am, and I think that plays a role in my stomach deciding if I need to eat or not.

if that was true you wouldn't be overweight and needing to lose now would you

And I know you blame it all on sodas .. but seriously now
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb I dunno, maybe the other crap food I was eating allowing me to eat well above my needs? All I know is now, I'm perfectly happy eating as much as I do now...but this isn't about that, its about what we all do before bed :] I personally think the fact that I work all night and sleep at 8am kinda tricks my mind into thinking I'm not hungry all night.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    Options
    I used to blame my habit of snacking/eating late at night for gaining weight. And since we all know that breakfast is THE most important meal of the day, I tried to solve my weight gain problem by always eating a good breakfast.

Crazy: my plan backfired! Obviously late night snacks was the problem!

Then, a few months ago, i did a bunch of stuff AND stopped eating after 8pm!
    And I lost weight!

So, obviously, not eating late, just works!

Except....

I then started on MFP. and being computer bound, I setup myself as "sedentary" on MFP.

But, I wasn't!

And the large end of day adjustments meant eating late night meals again.

OMG, my weight loss...
    continued with no problems!

It seems that my "natural" preference is to have an appreciable meal during the first half of my day, coast with some snacks during the rest of the day, and then eat a substantial meal in the second half of my day.

And remarkably, the size of my deficit has a lot more to do with my weight loss than the totally random timing and content of my meals.

So if you're hungry, and have 400Cal... eat some of them!
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    y.

And remarkably, the size of my deficit has a lot more to do with my weight loss than the totally random timing and content of my meals.

So if you're hungry, and have 400Cal... eat some of them!

Good stuff :]
  • chubbies35
    chubbies35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used these chews from GNC that suppress cravings,, like coffee green bean extract, , it works for me
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I save 150 to 250 for an 8pm snack every night. Usually ice cream or yogurt. No negative effects.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Eat the 400 calories.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Casein shake with milk
  • Emmatyan
    Emmatyan Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always have a small piece of cheese and a huge cup of milk before bed (not a good recipe for those lactose-intolerant huh :D ). It costs me 200 calories and makes me content:)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000-1400 kcal between 10 PM and midnight almost every night, because that's when I like to eat. Works for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh, I still have ~400 calories for today but I thought eating right before bed wasn't a good idea. :s

It could be. If you tend to get reflux or have trouble sleeping if you eat just before bed, then it's not a good idea. If all that happens is you are no longer hungry, then it sounds like a good idea.

I eat just before bed every single night. I sleep like a baby and have been losing at the expected rate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Eating big meals before bed is the problem because you digest better vertically. But this is a digestion issue, not one of weight loss. Eating before bed can also can be a problem if you have reflux, as posted above.

I save calories and carbs for a 200-300 calorie bed time snack.
  • DylanThomas2
    DylanThomas2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    the thing about eating before bed is as long as it isnt after midnight you won't turn into a gremlin
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I do one of 2 things.
    Shut the lights off and go to sleep. Or look at funny stuff on the internet.
    Maybe you are not getting enough calories in the day. Double check that too.
  • Kathy379
    Kathy379 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always eat before bed. I just try my best to not overdo it on the calories
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself . if you haven't used up all your calories for the day and if you feel painfully hungry then have a small snack and maybe some tea or something. Sometimes I feel like this too and have a snack but I still lose weight because I don't binge throughout the day so that helps too.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Y'all are lucky to be able to "save" 200 calories for a snack. For those of us set at a lower calorie allowance it's much more difficult. I'm set at 1200, because I'm older. I just finished lunch, and I have 494 calories left for the rest of the day. Now, I will be working out in a bit, so I will actually have about 200 more than that today, but I don't always. Hence, I sometimes go to bed hungry.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i almost always have a beer and chocolate (amount of that varies depending on how many calories i have to spare ) before bed. LOL
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I always try to keep some extra calories. Not only do I often get the munchies in the evening when I'm by the computer doing work/being lazy, but I never really know how long I'll be up for. If I go to bed at 9 pm, I might not need those extra calories, but if I'm up until midnight (or past it) then I will be hungry for real, not just the brain wanting something to snack on.