Lean Bulk.

Options
Salute guys.

How do you do your lean bulk after cutting?
You start to eat right over your maintenance 250 cal+ or do you slightly back up your calories?. For example first week by 200,second week by 400..etc till you get to your lean bulk calories?

Replies

• tmdpotts
    tmdpotts Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    better to slowly increase to give your body time to adjust, dont be shocked to gain 5lbs or more quickly, this will be water weight and will fade
  • 70kgLeanMass
    70kgLeanMass Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How will it fade? I am not really understanding this thing called ,,water weight''.I just know that if you reduce your carbs on a day you will lose your water weight so you will have less pounds than you had before you cut the carbs.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I slowly bring up my calories....usually by adding in more carbs.
    So up them by about 200 - 250, hold for a couple weeks. See how my body responds.
    Then bump another 200 - 250, track for a couple weeks, then bump again.

Keep doing that till I get to where I am adding an acceptable amt of weight.

I will say this, if you put on weight easy and take it off hard....be patient about how much you increase.
    For me, it's hard to put on weight, and easy to take it off.....so next bulk I do, I will shoot up my calories pretty quickly.....and try to get to where I am doing 1.5 - 2lbs / week.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Eat slightly over maintenance (maybe 250 cal), higher protein (35% of calories from protein is the top end of
    a healthy range*), and lift weights.
    If all you're doing is eating more & more calories, you're not necessarily adding muscle. It happens slowly.

* from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
    carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How will it fade? I am not really understanding this thing called ,,water weight''.I just know that if you reduce your carbs on a day you will lose your water weight so you will have less pounds than you had before you cut the carbs.

I am not sure what you mean by eating less carbs one day and dropping all the water the next... I would like to know what article or person stated you have less pounds than you had before the cutting of carbs...

Water weight is always in the mix.. not matter what or how you eat, or what or how you exercise.. I am going to presume you mean carb cycling maybe? Water is 75% of your body weight at all times.. And water weight is not fat?

A lot of more advanced lifters will tell you to up the antie on calories right away to start the bulk.. and this will be because you already know your maintenance when you start.. if you do, then add the calories and start reaping the rewards for growth right away.
  • victhebitter
    victhebitter Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Because the "water weight" is a lot to do with how carbs interact with water, in particular, replenishing glycogen stores. Total glycogen itself is a few hundred grams in a normal person; supposing one converts their carbs into 200g of glycogen to bring their stores up to capacity, they would be adding 1 kg of body mass in their liver and muscles. Carbs (soluble fibre in particular) also soak up water as they pass through the intestines.