YOGA PANTS?

Options
I'm doing my first 5k in years, this saturday. I have ugly knees and legs. Its going to be hot here in the south, and i was thinking about yoga pants to do the walk in, but not sure how hot they would be. Is there a brand or a material i can look for? My shirt is extra long to hide my tummy (slowly going down, been dieting/exercising since 5/30 and down 7 lbs!) and inches are coming off! Any suggestions for this 54 year old with rheumatoid arthritis trying to get her life back. I dont want to look like an old fogy but dont want to show much 'skin' either ! LOL

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to stay away from fold over waist yoga pants. On certain people they make the shirt area look sloppy because they cause everything to look bunched up. BEFORE ANYONE GOES NUTS, THATS JUST MY OPINION ON FOLD OVER YOGA PANTS! I HATE THEM. BUT THEY LOOK FINE ON SOME PEOPLE .i just hate the extra material and neon colors that fold over waists usually have on them.
    I prefer regular waist on yoga pants. My favorites are marika brand from kohls.com
    I also find them at tj maxx and marshalls sometimes.
    A lot of other ladies my age say that old navy makes a decent yoga pant .
  • snooksmama
    snooksmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the tips! Foldover sounds uncomfortable to me, too. I definitely dont want any extra material!!! I was planning on looking at Kohls, so that sounds like a great tip. Thanks so much!
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I wear USA Pro cropped yoga pants.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I really love the "idea" of fold over yoga pants- but @thorsmom01 is correct- they aren't particularly flattering.

it's like let's take the widest part of a woman- and add more volume!!! HORRAH- now she looks frumpy and her shirts are never going to lay flat or smooth. Good job industry. Good job.

Fold over's really only work if you take your shirt off- I use mine regularly at home when I don't need full sets of clothes.

I second TjMaxx and kohls and Old Navy. I believe Wal-Mart and Target also have a just below knee length unfitted capris pants.- so it's a little wider through the knee and stops just below- that may be perfect for you- covers your knees- but not a full pant.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Have you considered workout capris instead of full-length pants? Just the lower leg or even a bit of ankle from cropped pants can make a *big* difference in temperature comfort.

In my experience, pants and capris with a wider waistband tend to stay in place better (not ride up or roll over).

Oh! And if you feel self conscious, a very cute look is to wear a running skirt or skort on top of capri leggings. You can even buy that combination sewn together! (I'm in pretty good shape, and it still took me about four years before I was willing to go out in public in compression capris or shorts without baggy shorts on top).

Good luck in your 5K! How exciting!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Have you considered workout capris instead of full-length pants? Just the lower leg or even a bit of ankle from cropped pants can make a *big* difference in temperature comfort.

In my experience, pants and capris with a wider waistband tend to stay in place better (not ride up or roll over).

Oh! And if you feel self conscious, a very cute look is to wear a running skirt or skort on top of capri leggings. You can even buy that combination sewn together! (I'm in pretty good shape, and it still took me about four years before I was willing to go out in public in compression capris or shorts without baggy shorts on top).

Good luck in your 5K! How exciting!

my friend showed up to dance class in a pair of those skirt capris last night- but it wasn't a flowy tennis skirt one- it was more a fitted mini- In my younger days used to rant about about how silly they were- and I have finally realized they are wildly useful for many things- and honestly she looked damn cute it in lol

So I second that option.
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of pairs of yoga pants, fabric is on the heavier side as I found it more forgiving. In my experience the lighter ones tend to show off every lump and bump you've got so they are not flattering - on me anyway. But I don't wear them when it's hot, they're too heavy. I had way more success with hiking trousers specifically designed for hot weather. They are really light, dry fast, allow plenty of movement and don't cling to every lump. They are definitely worth checking out, in addition to yoga gear.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about fabrics but I assume you're going to want to stay away from some of the cheaper brands made with a high percent of polyester.

And I second the capris or 7/8 length. I bought my first pair of jean shorts for this summer since middle school, and there is still NO WAY I'm working out in shorts. I'd definitely be wearing pants as well, even in the heat, but the capri length is a bit more comfortable when it's very hot.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I really love the "idea" of fold over yoga pants- but @thorsmom01 is correct- they aren't particularly flattering.

it's like let's take the widest part of a woman- and add more volume!!! HORRAH- now she looks frumpy and her shirts are never going to lay flat or smooth. Good job industry. Good job.

Fold over's really only work if you take your shirt off- I use mine regularly at home when I don't need full sets of clothes.

I second TjMaxx and kohls and Old Navy. I believe Wal-Mart and Target also have a just below knee length unfitted capris pants.- so it's a little wider through the knee and stops just below- that may be perfect for you- covers your knees- but not a full pant.

Exactly. On certain people the fold over waist looks okay, for example my young niece wore the fold over waist with a crop top for dance lessons and was able to pull it off. But for the most part, they just arent as flattering as the regular waist. I got a pair from Victoria secret once and my shirt didnt lay right, it definitely looked sloppy and bunchy in the area of the fold over waist. I could see all the folds and seems through the shirt .Since then im a fan of the regular waist for sure !
    I find decent brands like marika at tj maxx for @13$ sometimes so it is worth checking there Op! Kohls can be a little more expensive but im willing to pay the extra for those marika pants because they really do fit fantastic.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Exactly. On certain people the fold over waist looks okay, for example my young niece wore the fold over waist with a crop top for dance lessons and was able to pull it off. But for the most part, they just arent as flattering as the regular waist. I got a pair from Victoria secret once and my shirt didnt lay right, it definitely looked sloppy and bunchy in the area of the fold over waist. I could see all the folds and seems through the shirt .Since then im a fan of the regular waist for sure !
    I find decent brands like marika at tj maxx for @13$ sometimes so it is worth checking there Op! Kohls can be a little more expensive but im willing to pay the extra for those marika pants because they really do fit fantastic.

Ah! Those Marika pants are cute but they don't stay up on me. I find the waist bands to run too big and not stretchy enough. They would be down at my ankles within the first mile.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Ah! Those Marika pants are cute but they don't stay up on me. I find the waist bands to run too big and not stretchy enough. They would be down at my ankles within the first mile.

They run big for sure. So that might have been your issue with them. Im 135lbs and have to buy size extra small in marika pants. ( im never an extra small in other brands )
    my sister had a similar complaint with their capri length though . It hasnt happened to me yet with them :smile: @arditarose
  • uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Champion brand Capris from Target have been a good buy for me. Nice thick material and provide good tummy support. They also have some nice running shorts with the built in lycra shorts for when you are ready to show your legs.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    This thread is incomplete currently.

https://youtu.be/0OkB6p_FZAw

that's better.
  • SquatNSparkle
    SquatNSparkle Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    whatever you try on, give em the squat test in the fitting room...either use the mirror or have a good friend go with you. Some of those things show EVERYTHING if and when you bend over to tie a shoe or something. I've seen it and even on the prettiest of girls, well, IMHO it isn't so pretty.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    whatever you try on, give em the squat test in the fitting room...either use the mirror or have a good friend go with you. Some of those things show EVERYTHING if and when you bend over to tie a shoe or something. I've seen it and even on the prettiest of girls, well, IMHO it isn't so pretty.

I also do the squat test in dressing room mirror. A few years ago i had these yoga pants that i thought looked nice so i wore them all the time . (I work in yoga pants and wear them to gym so basically wear yoga pants every day ) well my husband saw me bend over to pick up my dog and told me that he could see everything! I was horrified because i had been wearing those to the gym and work. Since then i do the squat test before buying! ! So embarrassing and definitely not a cute look !
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    snooksmama wrote: »
    thanks so much for the tips! Foldover sounds uncomfortable to me, too. I definitely dont want any extra material!!! I was planning on looking at Kohls, so that sounds like a great tip. Thanks so much!

Definitely Kohl's, they're Tek Gear brand is so comfortable. And they always have great prices & sales!

• JoRocka
    Options

heh- I do a squat picture/bend/burpee leg up gymnastic contortionist routine- I'm really glad people can't see me. Because yeah.

See through pants- the struggle is real.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

heh- I do a squat picture/bend/burpee leg up gymnastic contortionist routine- I'm really glad people can't see me. Because yeah.

See through pants- the struggle is real.

We actually have a saying here at the Jersey shore about this see through pants issue~
    CHEAP AND THIN ~SHOWS TOO MUCH SKIN (i forget the second part but its something like thick and tough ~then your in luck....)
    Yes the struggle is real !
    lol !
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lmr0528 wrote: »
    snooksmama wrote: »

Definitely Kohl's, they're Tek Gear brand is so comfortable. And they always have great prices & sales!

I am a big fan of the Tek Gear stuff too. And if you get the Shapewear line (it's exercise stuff, not Spanx, but the tag will say it's from the sub-line called Shapewear) it is higher rise, if you like something that goes up and over your stomach. They have capris that are completely fitted and some that are not fitted and they also have mid thigh fitted shorts.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest the Old Navy compression capris. I feel like you're going to be way too hot in pants. The compression capris have a wide waistband that you can pull up. I feel like it keeps everything in and is very comfortable.