60 years old and ready to take back my body!

Options
I retired at age 50 and was in perfectly good shape. Then I slowly let myself go...too much cooking (which I never had time to do before), too much drinking (hey...I don't have to go to work tomorrow, I'll have one more drink), and of course...menopause slammed into me. I've gained 40 lbs and really want to take it off. I'm curious as to whether there are any other 60 year olds out there who have found success losing weight? Please let me know...I need some encouragement.

Replies

• PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and find that really it takes less and less food every year to function at the same level--- not exactly fabulous news, but it seems to be so. The two things I think are important are to focus on fitness not simply weight, and to keep moving. Sitting is the new smoking! Pickleball is a great way to keep you moving. It is a fun and easy-to-learn game. Basically I have found that re-establishing the balance between consumption and activity leads to the desire result of improved fitness, which promotes a better mood, better sleep, and better overall health.
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That sounds like my story- and I have been trying to get myself into a healthy lifestyle for the past 6 years! I eat well and exercise and get into better shape, then I think I will be able to do without logging and before i know it I've gained 10#s! I just came back to mfp with new motivation and am logging daily! Maybe we can motivate each other???
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm 61. A few years ago I went in for a physical for the first time since high school, motivated by a suspected hernia that turned out to be a double hernia. Other than getting the hernias fixed, nothing was too remarkable except that my doctor told me I was overweight. I knew I had put on a few pounds over the last ten or 15 years, but I had never thought of myself as overweight until then.

So I started trying to eat less and trying to eat better, substituting broccoli, carrots and other veggies for potato chips, eating more salads, etc. My weight started coming down. Then I discovered MFP which made things even easier and gave me more consistent results. My original goal was to get to 160 lbs, down from 188. It didn't take long, but I wasn't satisfied, so I set a new goal of 150. When I hit that I was definitely in a "healthy" weight range. (BMI guidelines for my height are under 170 lbs.) I didn't like the idea of just maintaining though. I kind of liked the whole process of setting goals and mini-goals, then achieving them.

I quit worrying about weight so much and started focusing more on transforming myself, losing some of the remaining fat while building muscle. I found a program I really like, Bigger Leaner Stronger by Mike Matthews in which he covers everything from workouts to nutrition, all based on the latest science and experts like Mark Rippetoe. (Matthews also has a book for women titled Thinner Leaner Stronger. If any of this interests you, you can find a lot of supplemental material on his website muscleforlife.com)

Over the last three months I've lost another 3 pounds of fat while gaining 3 pounds of muscle. I'm at about 13.5% body fat. When I get to 12% or so I plan to switch to eating at a small surplus, otherwise known as a bulk, to gain muscle at a more rapid pace.

I know this post goes a lot further than your initial question. If you want a simple answer to your question, then yes. It's easy to lose weight in your sixties. Not as easy as losing weight in your forties or thirties, but it's not that difficult. It's more challenging but also much more rewarding to focus on getting fitter. And getting fitter is something that becomes enjoyable over time, rather than the sheer drudgery of depriving yourself of calories every day.
  • robuck1
    robuck1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm. 58 and have struggled with my weight forever. Now that menopause is here, everything has slowed down. I want to lose weight for my health, not just to look good. I eat less and exercise more. It is such a struggle. Any tips to stay motivated?
  • as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm 61. I retired early, too. By the time I retired I was so out of shape. I didn't want to continue on that path, so I started eating healthier & exercising. It's been a slow process. I've lost some weight & have more endurance exercising. Hey, I like to cook & drink a little, but more moderation. MFP helps me keep track of calories & exercise. You can do it! If I can - you can....
  • derek9964
    derek9964 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    50 and wanting to keep a good shape and good health feel free. To add me
  • xmikeyw
    xmikeyw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Jim quite a story thank you
  • xmikeyw
    xmikeyw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    as5811 wrote: »
    HI, I'm 61. I retired early, too. By the time I retired I was so out of shape. I didn't want to continue on that path, so I started eating healthier & exercising. It's been a slow process. I've lost some weight & have more endurance exercising. Hey, I like to cook & drink a little, but more moderation. MFP helps me keep track of calories & exercise. You can do it! If I can - you can....

great job!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • theswan0
    theswan0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im a little way off yet but i am a fitness trainer but when i got into this business i felt its not a career for life as i felt as i got older i wouldn't be able to do it dew to age but i was proven wrong i have met many fitness trainer's that are in their 70s and as fit and healthy as me and some that are fitter and all of them do alot of yoga and pilates and swear by it, and say age is just a number and i now believe it i see these people do more and are stronger than alot of young people i know