This may sound really stupid...so please do forgive me

Options
I have my misfit shine synced with MFP so I'm earning extra calories. Am I supposed to use up all of those calories as well as the 1200 I've been alotted to reach my goals? Please advise. I feel silly using them all up on days I'm doing really well...and using them on days when I'm not doing so well but are still staying under my calorie count. So please advise!!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If your MisFit is like my FitBit, it's trying to figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) .....or maintenance.

If you want to lose weight, then you eat less than total the number on your MisFit to lose weight. Subtract 500 calories for 1 pound a week, 750 for 1.5 pounds a week, etc.

Because you have it synced, it is comparing "notes" with MFP. So what Timothy said....yes, you earned more than your MFP setting.

MFP gave you 1200 based on "I want to lose XX pounds per week".....it's the default minimum (before exercise) so it's not terribly relevant.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit and I start earning extra calories after I hit at least 3000 steps - some days I eat them, some days I don't (mostly the days when I get lots of extra steps in). I think it's up to you - I don't tend to eat all of them, and am still losing. Just keep an eye on your progress if you eat them - if it slows down or stops, reconsider how many you're eating.
  • nutmeg86rb
    nutmeg86rb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    spatulamom wrote: »
    I have a Garmin Vivofit and I start earning extra calories after I hit at least 3000 steps - some days I eat them, some days I don't (mostly the days when I get lots of extra steps in). I think it's up to you - I don't tend to eat all of them, and am still losing. Just keep an eye on your progress if you eat them - if it slows down or stops, reconsider how many you're eating.

Thank you!! Seems obvious when you put it that way but I just wanted to ask others using the same sort of balance between calories from mfp & those from a tracker.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    nutmeg86rb wrote: »
    spatulamom wrote: »

Thank you!! Seems obvious when you put it that way but I just wanted to ask others using the same sort of balance between calories from mfp & those from a tracker.

Yep! For me, it's a lot of trial and error because I'm new to the fitness tracker thing (heck, I'm kind of new to movement...heh.) I figure I'm going to find what works and stick with it until it doesn't work anymore, and then figure out what needs to be done to make it work more, but I'm going to do it all while eating plenty.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    nutmeg86rb wrote: »
    I have my misfit shine synced with MFP so I'm earning extra calories. Am I supposed to use up all of those calories as well as the 1200 I've been alotted to reach my goals?

Your tracker burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the number of calories to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit* from that, you will lose weight.

Your default MFP calorie goal (1,200*) is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your tracker burn and your activity level. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back 100% of your adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

*Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided