My goal is to get into the military, but I've been trying to get off my blood pressure meds.

Options
2»

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

The military will be much less understanding and tolerant than your parents. You may want to reconsider whether you and the military would be a good fit.

I'm liable to get flagged but I'm not being mean. I'm calling it as I see it.

Agree
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    xgray213 wrote: »
    ketorach wrote: »
    Honey, as a parent I want to give you a hug & a shove. A hug because your parents seem to be insensitive, and a shove because you need a push to get a plan together and get out of your parents' house and kick off your own life.

Please do not go off your BP meds without the approval of your doctor.

FYI: The best value in education is taking two years in community college, earning as associate degree, and then transferring into a bachelor's program in a state school. You can do the first two years with little to no loans if you work part-time. Then, apply for a student loan for the two years of credits you need to complete your bachelor's degree.

Source: A mom who also works in higher education.
    Well, I did get my Associate's degree, but I just blew my chance of graduating with a Bachelor's degree by getting academically dismissed from a four-year university. That is why I need to talk to my doctor and tell him about my situation.

If you weren't judicially dismissed (suspended or expelled), academic dismissal isn't the end of the world. You can reach out to your former institution and see if they have programs in place for bringing up your GPA and being re-admitted. Some will allow you to go to CC to bring up your GPA and transfer in credits. You need to take the initiative and ask.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Honey, as a parent I want to give you a hug & a shove. A hug because your parents seem to be insensitive, and a shove because you need a push to get a plan together and get out of your parents' house and kick off your own life.

FYI: The best value in education is taking two years in community college, earning as associate degree, and then transferring into a bachelor's program in a state school. You can do the first two years with little to no loans if you work part-time. Then, apply for a student loan for the two years of credits you need to complete your bachelor's degree.

Well, I did get my Associate's degree, but I just blew my chance of graduating with a Bachelor's degree by getting academically dismissed from a four-year university. That is why I need to talk to my doctor and tell him about my situation.

If your doctor takes you off the medicine just so you can go to the military then he is just a terrible doctor. Lose the weight and your bp will improve.

You are not giving us the whole story and that's obvious. You were academically discharged, your parents want you out of the house, you feel like the military is your only option, there is obviously more to the story.

I don't even see how the military is an option. He admitted in a previous post that he was turned down by the Army after he told them that he has Aspergers.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

If your doctor takes you off the medicine just so you can go to the military then he is just a terrible doctor. Lose the weight and your bp will improve.

You are not giving us the whole story and that's obvious. You were academically discharged, your parents want you out of the house, you feel like the military is your only option, there is obviously more to the story.

I don't even see how the military is an option. He admitted in a previous post that he was turned down by the Army after he told them that he has Aspergers.

Also that medicial issues/medications may not currently be disclosed to other branches. Lying to get enlisted is bad news bears if the military ever finds out.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I fought to get into the Navy for 7 years under a medical waiver as I was diagnosed with an ulcer when I was 16 (disqualified as this was believed to be caused by stress and not microbial at the time). You need a backup plan if the military doesn't come through. Never lie about your medical conditions, but you may be able to get a medical waiver. Work with your recruiters and the docs at MEPS to see what your options are.

Do everything you can to get BP under control - cardio, diet, etc.

I sincerely hope you get past this obstacle and into the military. Like anything else it is what you make it to be. My service will always be my highest achievement.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some people have hereditary blood pressure that won't come down no matter how fit they are. You will know if it is time to reconsider BP meds if your BP stays on the low side of normal while on meds. When my BP was too low I'd get dizzy.

If you are not testing at home you can go once a week at a free machine at your pharmacy. Track once a week for a while. Record the numbers and take them to the doctor.

That's how I negotiated off my meds. Losing weight and running regularly helped the most. I still check my BP weekly just in case.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I met a great old guy who worked very hard to get in the army but serious health problems forced him out. He went on to start a very successful trucking business, a happy man, always doing something to stay busy. I suspect you have a similar drive and energy.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    robin52077 wrote: »
    I'm sure we don't have the whole story, but your parents sound like d!cks.

Or you know...some tough love...he's 28 years old and living at home with his parents.

The military is not the only option for paying for school. There are student loans, financial aid, the option to work while going to school part-time.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There are always alternative plans: get a job, save some money, take some college classes on line to get the basics out of the way, community college, student loans, Pell grants, the Peace Corps. I'm pretty sure we don't know the whole story. At 28, the OP should be out on his own.

Just a heads up, you can't do the Peace Corp thing without a college degree anymore.

• xgray213
    xgray213 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ....I don't even have an alternative plan. Because my parents are saying that if I don't get into the military, they're gonna kick me out of the house and I won't have anywhere else to go.

You need to see a doctor about the medical issue.

As to the parental issue, you are 28 years old, it is time to get off your duff and support yourself. By the time I hit 28 I had a wife, two children and had been supporting the whole bunch for 8 years already.

The military will be much less understanding and tolerant than your parents. You may want to reconsider whether you and the military would be a good fit.

Thank you. I just wish that I had that kind of mentality when I was 18 years old.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    walk walk walk walk walk walk and walk some more...walking must be a regular part of your daily./weekly life.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    ....I don't even have an alternative plan. Because my parents are saying that if I don't get into the military, they're gonna kick me out of the house and I won't have anywhere else to go.

You need to see a doctor about the medical issue.

As to the parental issue, you are 28 years old, it is time to get off your duff and support yourself. By the time I hit 28 I had a wife, two children and had been supporting the whole bunch for 8 years already.

Thank you. I just wish that I had that kind of mentality when I was 18 years old.
    Never too late to change your attitude and your life! Carpe diem!