Lost 20lbs, now gaining it back

Options
I'm 5ft/10in and 213lbs male. I started off at 240ish and went under 210lbs, but now I'm gaining it all back. I got back from vacation a few days ago and I just ate what I had, which was junk and fast food. Now it's three days later and I still just eat tons of junk and I'm still gaining
I tried to lose it slowly over time but now I just want to lose fast, healthy ore not! I'm think of trying the military diet, anybody ever done this? But more than likely I'm going to start a Low Low Calorie Diet of less than 500. Everyone says my body will go into starvation mode but I know eventually My body must burn the fat right?
I know it's not health starving myself, but it's the fastest way for short term weight loss right?

P.s. I'll remain exercising regularly

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself how you were able to lose the 30lbs. in the first place. If you lose too quickly, you will gain it back just as quickly (with additional weight on top of it more than likely). The problem with going on the low, low calorie diet is that you will end up binging and overeating due to being HUNGRY. Try to be honest on your food log, and then start to cut little things out (i.e. soda is replaced with water, bread is only reserved for lunch and only one piece of it, etc.). Is there a scale involved anywhere and at any time?

If you don't want to do this as a lifestyle change, you will end up yo-yo dieting which is the path that you are on now.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't think 500 calorie is unreasonable.
    go back to what you did before. it worked. you stopped doing it. do it again. It should work again
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you just do 'quick fix' diets you're always going to end up gaining the weight back. You need to make a lifestyle change and stick to it... you know... for life....
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Maybe I read this completely wrong and if I did my apologies but you're contemplating eating 500 calories a day :o

Unless you are actually a 3" tall chipmunk good luck with the living thing :/

Catabolic state in 3......2.....1
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Short term tends to lead to failure. Stick with what you know. Moderate deficit, a little exercise for health and be patient. You didn't gain the weight overnight, you won't lose it that quickly either. Doing fad diets that "promise" large losses in short periods of time is not fat loss, it's water and glycogen loss. You will only gain it back once you start eating again.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MFP is not a pro-ana website.
  • JethroHawk
    JethroHawk Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Watch the movie "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" then go out and buy a juicer and go for it. I'm down 30-lbs in 36 days doing that and I added 2 or 3 hardboiled eggs, a little cheese, fruits (like 1 or 2 banana's), a cup of rasberries every night before bed and 7 to 10 almonds. Stay busy and physically active in the evening and it will keep your mind of hunger.

When I can't have freshly made juice, I reach for a nine-dollar 59-oz bottle of Suja Green Essentials (available at Costco). Too much lemon and way to sweet but there is simply not always time to make juice.

Honestly I didn't like the juice at first and it's now only a bit more tolerable, but I'm getting dramatic results. Use the money you save from eating out to pay for your juicer, an apple watch (health benefits), a withings scale, and you're set. The tech toys also make it more fun and hard to ignore for maintanence. Sounds like maintanence may be your problem. Surround yourself with tech tool reminders.

My calorie intake on the juicing diet is 1100 to 1200 calories a day; my threshold is 900 calories but I go over every day. I'm 5'10, my age is 59 and I've sat in a cubicle for the last 10 years every day; my metabolism really slowed down (so I thought). Now, I'm very active in my yard every single night building sheds, pushing wheel-barrows, laying bricks, etc.. 3 hours a night. I don't believe in wasting my limbs by shaking them at a gym for no reason (insight you gain with age realizing you're time is passing). If my body is going to do work, I want it to count for something; besides it saves me time and money which I can put into home improvements. Better to lift bricks and trusses than to lift weights... when possible. I do realize not everyone has access to yard work. But hey, if the fat reserves I've built up over the years can be put to good use then really, fat=battery.

I started at 264, I'm down to 235, and I plan on going all the way to 170. I will maintain using toys and gadgets for continual awareness.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft/10in and 213lbs male. I started off at 240ish and went under 210lbs, but now I'm gaining it all back. I got back from vacation a few days ago and I just ate what I had, which was junk and fast food. Now it's three days later and I still just eat tons of junk and I'm still gaining
    I tried to lose it slowly over time but now I just want to lose fast, healthy ore not! I'm think of trying the military diet, anybody ever done this? But more than likely I'm going to start a Low Low Calorie Diet of less than 500. Everyone says my body will go into starvation mode but I know eventually My body must burn the fat right?
    I know it's not health starving myself, but it's the fastest way for short term weight loss right?

This is the stupidest post I've ever read

So to fix your gain in weight you're going to decimate your LBM, get crap skin, hair and nails, fatigue, mood swings, hormonal issues, risk kidney and blood pressure issues, gallstones, osteoporosis

And then when you crash and burn you will put on even more weight and end up more miserable than you are now

Start eating at an appropriate defecit ...start moving more and lifting heavy things ..and give it time

And wise up
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Gah! You'll lose weight on 500 cal all right, but a good part of what you lose will be muscle! So in the long run, losing that fast with hardly any calories is going to make you skinnyfat. I'm pretty sure that's not what you want. Ditch the junk food. don't buy it. Don't go to fast food places. buy and cook healthy food only. Eat like... well you're a dude, 1500 to 1800 for aggressive loss.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day with exercise? Sure you'll lose weight - and potentially end up in the hospital.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options

No no nooooooooo. Eating 500 cals a day will kill ya.

• Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day? You must dislike having hair, finger nails, and working vital organs.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    you're kidding right?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Honestly, and no offence, but that is one of the stupidest ideas i have ever heard.

I guarantee you would go three days before coming to the same realization.

And what happens when you have lost the weight? You will go back to your usual old habits and end up putting it all back on. Unless you learn portion control, how to log and weigh accurately, how to make good food choices and macro management, (amongst others), which you most definitely won't learn from a 500 calorie crash diet.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Incredibly low calorie diets result in binge eating. This is very dangerous, please do not do this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    JethroHawk wrote: »
    Watch the movie "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" then go out and buy a juicer and go for it. I'm down 30-lbs in 36 days doing that and I added 2 or 3 hardboiled eggs, a little cheese, fruits (like 1 or 2 banana's), a cup of rasberries every night before bed and 7 to 10 almonds. Stay busy and physically active in the evening and it will keep your mind of hunger.

When I can't have freshly made juice, I reach for a nine-dollar 59-oz bottle of Suja Green Essentials (available at Costco). Too much lemon and way to sweet but there is simply not always time to make juice.

Honestly I didn't like the juice at first and it's now only a bit more tolerable, but I'm getting dramatic results. Use the money you save from eating out to pay for your juicer, an apple watch (health benefits), a withings scale, and you're set. The tech toys also make it more fun and hard to ignore for maintanence. Sounds like maintanence may be your problem. Surround yourself with tech tool reminders.

My calorie intake on the juicing diet is 1100 to 1200 calories a day; my threshold is 900 calories but I go over every day. I'm 5'10, my age is 59 and I've sat in a cubicle for the last 10 years every day; my metabolism really slowed down (so I thought). Now, I'm very active in my yard every single night building sheds, pushing wheel-barrows, laying bricks, etc.. 3 hours a night. I don't believe in wasting my limbs by shaking them at a gym for no reason (insight you gain with age realizing you're time is passing). If my body is going to do work, I want it to count for something; besides it saves me time and money which I can put into home improvements. Better to lift bricks and trusses than to lift weights... when possible. I do realize not everyone has access to yard work. But hey, if the fat reserves I've built up over the years can be put to good use then really, fat=battery.

I started at 264, I'm down to 235, and I plan on going all the way to 170. I will maintain using toys and gadgets for continual awareness.

Ignore this. It's bad advice.

OP, eat food at a moderate calorie deficit. You are in control of food, it's not in control of you.