Is running enough?

Options
I am in my third week of the couch to 5k running program and logging into MyFitPal. My goal is to lose 10lbs. I'm 4months pp and am looking to drop that last of the baby weight.

Is running 3 days a week for 5k enough? I'm trying to take this slow but am anxious!!!

Replies

• shortnurse1
    shortnurse1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been jogging 3-5 days a week, about a 11 min mile. It doesn't seem to help! I also want to drop about 10lbs...I'm thinking I'm going to really have to work on my diet. Not that I eat bad, but I have heard "abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym"!!
  • lkc31
    lkc31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a few weeks for running to cause weight loss. Your body is in transition, getting used to the new caloric burn, but it takes a bit of time! I suggest keep training, but a little extra exercise here and there can never hurt!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Cut calories for weight loss, exercise for health and fitness. Running for 10mins burn approx 100cals (depending on your weight obviously but as a rough estimate) so running 5k in 30mins will burn approx 300 cals. If you're not eating less than you're burning you won't lose weight even if you were running for 4hrs a day.
  • Fitacular
    Fitacular Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been jogging 3-5 days a week, about a 11 min mile. It doesn't seem to help! I also want to drop about 10lbs...I'm thinking I'm going to really have to work on my diet. Not that I eat bad, but I have heard "abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym"!!

Just curious what kind of diet are you following? I am questioning everything I've been doing on my plant-based diet.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

You are correct. Running burns about 100 calories per mile. It's not enough to run a couple of miles if you're still eating more calories than you're burning each day. Reduce calories for weight loss, exercise for fitness (and to give you a little more calories to eat, if you're into that).
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You can run a marathon and not lose any weight if you eat more than what you burn...Diet is 80%, running/workouts maybe 20%.....
  • Fitacular
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    You can run a marathon and not lose any weight if you eat more than what you burn...Diet is 80%, running/workouts maybe 20%.....

Agreed. I am struggling right now with eating enough calories. Some days I make it to my 1,100 cal other days I just don't. I'm not sure why. I eat a plant based diet with limited junk food.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    Cut calories for weight loss, exercise for health and fitness. Running for 10mins burn approx 100cals (depending on your weight obviously but as a rough estimate) so running 5k in 30mins will burn approx 300 cals. If you're not eating less than you're burning you won't lose weight even if you were running for 4hrs a day.

/thread
  • shortnurse1
    shortnurse1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Fitacular wrote: »

Just curious what kind of diet are you following? I am questioning everything I've been doing on my plant-based diet.
    I am not following any certain diet. I have my calories set to 1600 and most days i stick to it. I don't eat fried foods, soda, sweets or anything like that. I am just trying to eat healthier all around. It is very hard to find foods that are low cal/low carb that will fill you up. I am always hungry! And I don't have time to prepare elaborate meals.

• tcosenza
    tcosenza Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It will help your cardio vascular system but really the only thing that will help you drop weight is diet. Exercise is necessary but as someone who has been running for over a year and trapped in the 290-310 range I know now that I have to make serious changes to what I put in my pie hole. #ReadyToTackleIt
  • Fitacular
    Options
    Thanks for your answers. You guys are all doing a great job working toward being fit and happy!