What do you do when you're hungry before bed-time?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Y'all are lucky to be able to "save" 200 calories for a snack. For those of us set at a lower calorie allowance it's much more difficult. I'm set at 1200, because I'm older. I just finished lunch, and I have 494 calories left for the rest of the day. Now, I will be working out in a bit, so I will actually have about 200 more than that today, but I don't always. Hence, I sometimes go to bed hungry.

You can arrange those calories however you want though. If you want to eat at night, then have a lighter lunch.

I try to stick to 1100-1300 during the week and typically about 2/3 of those calories are consumed at night. We typically eat dinner shortly before bed.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Y'all are lucky to be able to "save" 200 calories for a snack. For those of us set at a lower calorie allowance it's much more difficult. I'm set at 1200, because I'm older. I just finished lunch, and I have 494 calories left for the rest of the day. Now, I will be working out in a bit, so I will actually have about 200 more than that today, but I don't always. Hence, I sometimes go to bed hungry.

You can arrange those calories however you want though. If you want to eat at night, then have a lighter lunch.

I try to stick to 1100-1300 during the week and typically about 2/3 of those calories are consumed at night. We typically eat dinner shortly before bed.

Yes, that's true. On non-workout days I do have a lighter breakfast and lunch.
  • iammantistobbogan
    iammantistobbogan Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I space my meals out so I'm eating every three hours and one of those is pretty much before I go to bed - that meal tends to be a protein shake and maybe some nuts if my fats/calories are low for the day xx
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

I doubt you are older than me, but I am surely taller :)

I have to exercise a fair amount to get all the calories I want.

• orozcov
    orozcov Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Coffee or hot tea usually works for me!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm in quite the dilemma right now, as is my friend who's staying the night. We're both quite hungry and it will soon be time to go to sleep. Eating/binging before sleep has always been my 'comfort routine' but I realized how bad this is for my body. I've been drinking water all evening and feel quite hydrated; I just want to pig out. I had a snack about two hours ago; a Kellog's Special K Bar. I didn't starve myself today but it feels like my body doesn't appreciate the notion of being even the slightest bit hungry before bed.

So what do you do when a random hunger creeps up on you right before bedtime?

My day usually ends with an "after dinner snack" of fruit or yogurt, because I know that I'll be hungry as bedtime approaches and don't want to have anything heavy. I'm a snacker - I'll eat breakfast, lunch and then two small snacks (protein bar, veggies and dip, etc.) before I get home from work, then dinner, and my after dinner snack. Keeps me feel without consuming large amounts of calories.
  • Caligirl4soccer
    Caligirl4soccer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    90 calorie yogurt
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    eat. I generally eat my planned dinner late (8pm or later) cause i get hungry before bed. i always hit my calorie goal for the day. I have lost 70 pounds eating that late. time of day has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Oh, I still have ~400 calories for today but I thought eating right before bed wasn't a good idea. :s

I eat dinner every night at 8:30/9:00...I'm generally in bed by 9:30/10:00.

your metabolism doesn't just turn off because you went to sleep.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    20 calorie Splenda sweetened Popsicle

Yum

Eat 3 if you need to!
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love eating carrot sticks with a slice of cheddar cheese in fact I am eating that now as I type this in my bed lol
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I eat. Because I'm hungry for a reason and not going to physically or mentally punish myself by sending myself to bed hungry. It wouldn't matter if I had 500 calories left, or if I was -500. Sure, I wouldn't go throw a frozen pizza in the oven and scarf down the whole thing, but I would eat something that made me feel comfortable and not think twice about it.

Ps - don't worry about what time you're eating. That's an old school belief.
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This may be total hogwash but i have found that when I go to bed hungry (to the point that my stomach is growling) i usually wake up a pound or 2 lighter haha don't starve yourself but like someone else said, its ok to be hungry sometimes
  • thegrimmycrew
    thegrimmycrew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Always chugg a protein shake with a spoon of cinnamon before I hit the rack. Protein fill ya up, tbe cinnamon helps lower cholesterol, lower bp, helps stabilize insulin, and speeds up metabolism...plus it tastes great!
  • deloriswoodson
    deloriswoodson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that you actually want to go to bed hungry. You want to cut yourself off after a certain time.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I eat at night because if not-I wake up starving and most often overeat more than my snacks the previous night would have.
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I cannot sleep when my stomach is growling. I drink almond milk or munch on a handful of dry Cheerios.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Drink water, sometimes it's actually dehydration.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Bhlinebee wrote: »
    Drink water, sometimes it's actually dehydration.

I think this has been debunked, no?
  • kdoodlethug
    kdoodlethug Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just go to sleep. :P If I am REALLY hungry I will eat. But if it's just a little or I feeling very dedicated to my calorie count, I'll go to sleep and wake up ready for breakfast.