fruit/veggies satisfaction question.

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
I love fruit and veggies... even as a kid i was fighting over the veggies at dinner. I feel like they never make me feel full though. I know everyone says "you'll never feel hungry on veggies or fruit" but i never feel full. For me its always protein fat and carbs. Do you think though, its mentally that id rather be eating those potato chips then the apple? Or do other people experience this.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies don't fill me up at all. The only exception is something like avocado, that's mostly fat.
  • 19marialyn
    19marialyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel the same
  • fishshark
    Options
    Fruits and veggies don't fill me up at all. The only exception is something like avocado, that's mostly fat.

glad im not alone i just never know if its because of my carb/fat obsession or if it really doesn't fill me up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I need a combination of foods from different food groups, providing enough protein, fiber, carbs, fat, vitamins and minerals, in the right balance - and a variety of taste, smell, texture, temperature and colors, to feel pleasantly satisfied.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Yep; they don't keep me full at all. But when they're mixed with some form of protein or pasta? Whole different story.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    they don't fill me up as my main food but they usually are always a big side dish, for example basically i eat 130-150g of white rice everyday , for me that is not much but i mix that with lots of broccoli, cauliflower and maybe carrots and some hot salsa and it becomes a massive amount of food that keeps me full for hours.
    same thing with lets say umm i just had a tuna sandwich for dinner, i used 1 can of tuna but added a lot of tomatoe, onion, celery and again my food visually and physically its a huge amount.

i'm not the kind of person that eats a bowl of salad for dinner or lunch, that would make me hungry instantly but i use veggies and fruits to make my food grow and to feel fuller.

p.s my only exception is apples, i don't know why, i must be a weirdo but apples make me hungrier, i can't do it :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    They fill me up pretty well, especially veggies--I seem to be a volume eater.

On the whole I'm more satisfied with a mixed meal with protein and fat, though, and probably would stay full longer (I rarely eat just veggies for a meal, so haven't tested it that often).
  • fishshark
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    they don't fill me up as my main food but they usually are always a big side dish, for example basically i eat 130-150g of white rice everyday , for me that is not much but i mix that with lots of broccoli, cauliflower and maybe carrots and some hot salsa and it becomes a massive amount of food that keeps me full for hours.
    same thing with lets say umm i just had a tuna sandwich for dinner, i used 1 can of tuna but added a lot of tomatoe, onion, celery and again my food visually and physically its a huge amount.

i'm not the kind of person that eats a bowl of salad for dinner or lunch, that would make me hungry instantly but i use veggies and fruits to make my food grow and to feel fuller.

p.s my only exception is apples, i don't know why, i must be a weirdo but apples make me hungrier, i can't do it :D

omg thank you because when i eat an apple I'm automatically 100000000x more hungry then i was. it drives me crazy!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be full only eating vegetables and fruit. They help me to feel full when served with other foods though.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Veggies fill me up just fine. But then I don't do carbs and put butter on mine. Or I make a good sized salad and add my ranch or blue cheese. For me to feel satisfied in a the big deficit I do, I need to cut the carbs and allow the fats.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my dinner is a bowl full of broccoli or brussel sprouts. Makes me full. Of course that's usually after I blew it for breakfast and lunch . . .
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'm never full just on veggies, I need meat and fat. However, if the veg I add to the other stuff has a good amount of fiber, it does make a difference for satiety.

I don't eat a lot of fruit - have IBS and find most of them too acidic from a taste point of view (forget raw apples! Unless they're cooked, which mellows them out a bit). But berries and bananas work for me, for taste & fiber. Avocados and tomatoes, too.

The fruits I can't eat without paying for it, but do like, might as well be appetite stimulants (pears, peaches, watermelon, oranges).

Veg-wise, cabbage (cooked), brussel sprouts, spinach, kale, asparagus, and green beans help fill me up and are taste-tastic.

I like raw carrots, but they do a number on me, and they're so sweet I count them as more of a treat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can fill up nicely on veggies. Fruits, too, if I eat enough of them.

If I eat enough of anything, I'm going to get full.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    I love fruit and veggies... even as a kid i was fighting over the veggies at dinner. I feel like they never make me feel full though. I know everyone says "you'll never feel hungry on veggies or fruit" but i never feel full. For me its always protein fat and carbs. Do you think though, its mentally that id rather be eating those potato chips then the apple? Or do other people experience this.

I guess youve never eaten a whole watermelon before. I feel like I wanna die.
  • fishshark
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »

I guess youve never eaten a whole watermelon before. I feel like I wanna die.

true if i eat a lot... A LOT of watermelon i feel pretty full. but then in like 20 mins im reaching for fat or protein
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I can plow thru a lot of fruit. Bananas are kind of filling. Vegetables for the most part are very filling for me. Carrots, cukes, squash, zucchini, and even a hearty salad fill me up pretty well.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I find I stay fuller if I eat veggies with something else.

Tomorrow I'm going to eat a serving of rice, a whole can of green beans, spinach, grape tomatoes, a serving of black beans, & dressing.

Now eating an apple & even an apple with peanut butter I'll be hangry soon after.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Totally true. They don't satiate you the way protein and fat does. I guess that's why they say its best as part of a healthy, wholesome diet.

You can't subsist on protein and fat alone, it simply doesn't have the full nutrient break down your body needs plus it lacks that 'fresh' aspect and the 'zing' to foods that spices and herbs add to protein and fat.

But I do feel full for much longer, and much quicker, when I have a big serve of veggies with every meal - I actually prefer it to be the star, the meat/protein the side...they taste so good, and they add so much dimension and depth to just purely protein/fat. :smile:
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone I think. Protein and fats don't satiate me. I need dem carbs. Fruit makes me hungry, but cooked veggies fill me up (not salads!).