Beginning weight training, slow reps or fast?

Options
faithstimenow
faithstimenow Posts: 99 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have started weight training, will I benefit from slow reps or fast? I need to lose 75lbs to reach overall goal. When will I get to see results? I always notice my belly feeling bloated after working abs....it's always my last to go. I am currently slow set of 3, 12 reps. 4 days a week. 20 min treadmill.

Replies

• 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I always liked starting with light weights and slow reps, then work up to heavier weight. You can work on form when starting light and slow
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Form, form & form.....take your time to go through the full range of the exercise using proper form.

The weight loss part comes from what you eat not how fast or slow you do your reps.
  • faithstimenow
    Options
    Thank you
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I guess not to many have chimed in. Your profile is closed so I don't know who you are. I'm going to assume you have never done much exercising. The treadmill is good for burning fat and calories. As you get use to doing the same exercises you can switch up. Treadmill, you can walk 2 min, then jog 2 min or switch to a bike. I like to do slow reps with weights and concentrate on flexing the muscle group that I'm exercising, sometimes I go so slow I only get 3 or 4 reps. but usually try for 8 reps. When it gets easier go up in weight. Weightlifting won't build much muscle when your dieting, but it will build strength and tone your muscles so when the fat comes off you will look better.
  • PAYNEMAKER
    PAYNEMAKER Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Definitely focus on form...former all day every day
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    At first i focused on form with light weights and then slowly progressed into adding weight once my form was correct. I still have form issues to this day but have learned what i need to keep in check and what i'm okay with. So start small and keep progressing: )
  • BronxBStanfield
    BronxBStanfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight training are you doing?
  • coachjschroth
    coachjschroth Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Let's master the movement first. Then worry about repetition speed/tempo.
  • faithstimenow
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Weight machines. I have done this in the past, but I was at goal weight, and it gave me the best body ever. I spent a longgg time at the gym. :) I am restarting at a different place in life, and not only do I to form this body, but I have to lose weight too. I can't spend the same amount of time in the gym as I did in the past, so.....it's a new challenge for me. And I am ready for it! I just got to get it right.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Weight machines. I have done this in the past, but I was at goal weight, and it gave me the best body ever. I spent a longgg time at the gym. :) I am restarting at a different place in life, and not only do I to form this body, but I have to lose weight too. I can't spend the same amount of time in the gym as I did in the past, so.....it's a new challenge for me. And I am ready for it! I just got to get it right.

in all honesty, I would say ditch the machines and get on a good barbell program like strong lifts, starting strength, all pro beginner, etc…

machines do not give you same ROM as barbells and dumbbells and also do not work stabilizer muscles….
  • faithstimenow
    Options
    I don't even know where to begin with free weights, lol, will need a personal trainer. But, I do want to do whatever it takes to form this body to the best shape it can be.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't even know where to begin with free weights, lol, will need a personal trainer. But, I do want to do whatever it takes to form this body to the best shape it can be.

no, you don't need a trainer.

Look up starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, or all pro beginner routine. Watch you tube videos and what not to learn proper form and then go for it.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Weight machines are not the worst thing ever. They are a great way to get started, especially when feeling intimidated by "that side of the gym". They are also useful when building up basic strength and when adding weight.

If you can, go to the gym when it's a bit quieter and try some exercises with some dumbbells. Is there a group class that does any kind of resistance training? Also a great place to learn some moves and have some guidance about form and such. You can also see if it's possible to have a gym staff show you some strength moves to get you started. A lot of gyms have orientations. After that, if you're still not comfortable, getting a session or two with a trainer could be beneficial.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's not really about fast or slow at this stage but controlled motion - pick a weight which you can confidently control but is challenging over the last few reps.
  • dsneade
    dsneade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you are completely new I would say steady, controlled movement with light weights. Your goals in the beginning should be to work only the intended muscle groups, master the movement, and strengthen your connecting tissue (so important and to often overlooked).
    A trainer probably wouldn't be a bad idea for a couple of sessions, if anything, to be sure your workouts match your ultimate goals and to help you build confidence.
  • faithstimenow
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

no, you don't need a trainer.

Look up starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, or all pro beginner routine. Watch you tube videos and what not to learn proper form and then go for it.

Thank you, I will scope out You Tube. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Weight machines are not the worst thing ever. They are a great way to get started, especially when feeling intimidated by "that side of the gym". They are also useful when building up basic strength and when adding weight.

If you can, go to the gym when it's a bit quieter and try some exercises with some dumbbells. Is there a group class that does any kind of resistance training? Also a great place to learn some moves and have some guidance about form and such. You can also see if it's possible to have a gym staff show you some strength moves to get you started. A lot of gyms have orientations. After that, if you're still not comfortable, getting a session or two with a trainer could be beneficial.

I am sorry, but yes they are…

and instead of being afraid of the "other side of the gym" why not just walk in there like you own the place and do your workout out and leave….

as someone who is on that side, no one cares if you are a newbie; we actually have more respect for the ones that come over to "the dark side of the gym"…..

just make sure you have basic etiquette.
  • faithstimenow
    Options

I have to check in to what the gym offers. Classes are usually aerobic style. Always guys on that side....maybe they can give pointers, after I scope You Tube.

• faithstimenow
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I am sorry, but yes they are…

and instead of being afraid of the "other side of the gym" why not just walk in there like you own the place and do your workout out and leave….

as someone who is on that side, no one cares if you are a newbie; we actually have more respect for the ones that come over to "the dark side of the gym"…..

just make sure you have basic etiquette.

I will look over there today....it's not that I am scared....it's unknown territory that I need to educate myself on. Tx
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You want to do slow eccentrics and explosive concentric. For example on bench, lower the bar slowly then explode up with controlled speed.