Snacking the Right Way While Dieting

Options
Hello all! My name is Alonda. I'm new to My Fitness Pal. I literally started my regimen on 6/21. Today, I felt incredibly hungry. Can anyone suggest some nutrient-dense but filling low calorie snacks? I really would like to stick to the program.

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of fudge brownies this evening.. Very satisfying.

When I have fewer calories to spare and need a substantial snack I got for pickles or popcorn.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Alonda, welcome!

My tip is to eat the snacks you like in moderation. This is how I lost 44 pounds, and I've been maintaining that loss for about a year and a half now.

Tonight, I had some Coconut Bliss hazelnut chocolate frozen desert. The serving was 95 grams for about 210 calories. Well, for me, 95 grams is a little much. Last night I had about 65 grams of the same ice cream, but tonight I had about 80 grams. It's all about what fits into your calorie goals.
  • hambegone
    hambegone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Earlier in the day have a sweet potato. Add cinimon. A banana is rather filling as well. A 'kind' bar is always in my purse for quick sweet snacks, they have sooooo many flavors, pretty low cal and are cheaper on their website. Hmm. Wheat thins and some hummace is really good to. All portion controlled. Hope this helps! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You mean to help keep you full during the day? I think raw veggies can work, especially if you are mostly trying to get past some psychological hunger and getting used to not eating as often. A piece of fruit/berries or greek yogurt or cottage cheese can be good options. Nuts work for some people, but some find them not so filling or too easy to overeat. I sometimes like a protein bar (Quest if you like them tend to be filling for me because of all the fiber and also work as a sweet snack and help meet protein goals). It really depends on your goals and the calories you've put aside for snacks.

Also, you will want to figure out what works for you in terms of meal # and timing. What I figured out early on is that I tend to feel more satisfied and less hungry if I eat 3 more substantial meals and don't snack much. There was an adjustment period at first (which I filled by having raw veggies on hand) and sometimes I do add in an afternoon snack since I tend to eat dinner late and often work out mid-day or before dinner, but limiting snacks actually results in less hunger, for me, as I just don't think about food as much.
  • 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It stunned me how few calories are in grapes, cherries, strawberries and blueberries compared to other snack-y items. They are my snacks of choice lately because not only are they all full of good nutrients, but they are so great this time of year.
  • macr0babe
    macr0babe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, add peanut butter to your favorite fruit or veggie. Nuts, yogurt, baked kale or spinach chips, popcorn.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit!
    Granola, depending on what you put in it.
    Hard-boiled egg

That's all I have, lol. I tend to eat a bunch of small meals these days.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how many calories a day are you consuming?
  • LocQueen87
    LocQueen87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

My daily average is 1,915 calories.
  • DylanThomas2
    DylanThomas2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love fresh fruit the 100 claorie bags of popcorn are great as well and raw veggies with hummus are are a really great low cal snack.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    AlondaBell wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

My daily average is 1,915 calories.

high fat foods will usually keep you satiated for longer..so thinks like eggs, full fat cottage cheese and yogurt, etc a re good..vegetables are pretty dense so they tend to fill you up quick…

Also, as time goes by you will learn to distinguish between real hunger and perceived hunger…sometimes drinking a glass of water will also help as it tricks you into thinking you are full….
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I also am less hungry with bigger meals - I definitely like a big breakfast (600 cals), and 500-600 for lunch and dinner, with ~200-300 left for an evening snack. That way I don't have to think about food that often :)

For meals, I like to have a good chunk of meat and fat in there. I use plain Greek yogurt as a side or topping for a lot of things, which bumps up the protein. Fiber helps, I often have it in the form of a cabbage or spinach salad, or some boiled green beans or asparagus. For starches, I find potatoes with skin way more filling than rice or pasta. (Baby potatoes are good because there's more skin per potato, and the skin's what has most of the fiber.)

So all that leaves me less needful of snacks. Snack-wise, 2nd cottage cheese or nuts, or a handful of berries. Also: a banana, a bowl of oatmeal. (Cottage cheese is probably the most effective, for me.) If I'm just kind-of hungry but can't let it go, I might have a mug of miso soup (30 cals for mine) or chicken bouillon.

During the day, coffee is helpful to suppress appetite between meals, on days when I happened not to eat exactly enough. (But not if I'm straight-up hungry, as in unfed, that just leads to a headache.) I like cream in my coffee (and I like it sweet), but lately I'm substituting some of the cream with unsweetened almond milk to bring the calories down.

I'd also say, once you figure out 5-10 meals and snacks that hit the spot, rotate them fairly often. It's easier to stay on track that way.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    You can also test out whether some of the foods recommended here work for you.
  • rongata
    rongata Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    eat whatever you want, just do not go over your daily calorie intake, a calorie is a calorie at the end of the day
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rongata wrote: »
    eat whatever you want, just do not go over your daily calorie intake, a calorie is a calorie at the end of the day

You've got the right idea, but it's the average that matters. Some days I go over, some days I go under, but I try to make the average balance out over time. So far I have been maintaining just fine. :)
  • LocQueen87
    LocQueen87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone again for their comments.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I create a room in my house where I'm allowed to snack. Let's say the guest bedroom. I label it the Snack Shack. Then I don't snack unless I go in there alone and close the door first. It tends to de-romanticize the snacking process.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I keep boiled eggs in the fridge. Full of protein, on average 60cals and keeps me feeling full.