Mindful Eating vice Calorie Counting

Options
1235»

Replies

• harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I doubt want to be a slave to calorie counting either.
    Right now since I am eating at a 800-1000 calorie deficit, I dont mind if I skip a day of counting, or dont bother counting those carrot sticks I ate. Because if I eat an extra 200 or 300 calories than I normally do Ill still lose weight, just a bit less.

I completely stopped counting for a month a couple months ago, and my weight loss slowed down significantly, so started counting again.

However once I reach maintenance Ill calorie count for a month or so (so I get a feel of how much I should be eating), and then probably going to stop counting altogether. I will keep an eye on my weight, and if I go over 10lbs then start cutting again if it is because of fat gain vs muscle gain. I may "spot" calorie count once a month or something to make sure I dont have calorie creep.
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not a calorie counting nazi. I don't weigh or measure my food most of the time, i just eyeball it. However, before i choose what to eat, i look to see the calorie content and choose what to eat based on that. I do log it in MFP but i am by no means the most accurate. Simply put, check the calories. Is consuming it worth the number of calories it contains? If no, put it away and go for something else.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I personally can't do mindful eating, as my hunger/full signals are totally messed. I rarely feel hungry, and I rarely feel full. I always feel like I 'could' eat.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    vegbear wrote: »
    I need help! I am 40lbs overweight. I work out 5 days a week (for real ;) love working out actually.... my nutrition is holding me back because well..I just eat to darn much even though I try not to..I am an emotional eater.
    I HATE HATE HATE being a slave to calorie counting...it somewhat makes me more food obsessed. I am keen on mindful eating (listening to your body tell you when you are hungry, stopping BEFORE you are stuffed to the gills) I have been trying that lately but guess what?? that too is not working. I think maybe due to years of trying to lose weight my poor body and mind are completely confused as to what normal is ya know...what is real hunger, what does it feel like to not stuff your face to the brim? So my question is....can one do both you think? CC and eating mindfully? I am ready to lose weight, SO ready. The motivation is there just which tactic to take? I don't want to become calorie obsessed in live in a calorie jail my whole life freaking out about how many calories are in a pickle but not sure if mindful eating works with someone who has had such a problem with emotional overeating..thoughts???
    TIA

Emotional overeating? Has it solved any of your problems? It can create more problems if your health goes bad.
    I think some people dwell to much on the past, and don’t look to the future. You need to set realistic goals for the future, and once you start achieving your goals, it makes you feel good, and you set more goals for yourself.
    How do you go about setting realistic goals? You can’t just pull something out of your head and say, I want to lose a 100 lbs in 2 weeks. You are going to fail. You can use the internet to research, find what is realistic and create a plan. I didn’t have the internet when I was young, I went to the library or bought magazines for information. Now we have a wonderful tool called the internet at our finger tips, use it. MFP is another wonderful tool, so use it.
    I have many future goals, some I have planned out and some I will plan out at a future date. If something doesn't work, try something else, but don't give up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I personally can't do mindful eating, as my hunger/full signals are totally messed. I rarely feel hungry, and I rarely feel full. I always feel like I 'could' eat.

This is me, although when I'm used to a schedule I tend to feel more like eating at my usual eating times.

The only way I can do mindful eating (which I'm not sure can really be called mindful eating) is simply to be conscious of serving sizes and what an appropriate amount is (which I've relearned from calorie counting but have managed to do in the past without specifically logging calories), and to be strict about eating at meal times (or planned snack times that make sense) and not outside of meals.

I'm lucky that I tend not to be hungry between meals when I just stick to meal times, but if I let myself start snacking or fill up my plate beyond sensible servings I'll overeat--it's my mind, not my body/appetite that has to tell me I'm finished.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It took counting calories for me to become aware of how much I was eating, now I know the calories in everything I eat I could do mindful eating and it would work but I don't mind the couple of mins a day it takes me logging my food - these days its more to make sure I'm eating enough calories than eating too many! Maintenance rocks! :smiley:
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You have to choose the right tool that works for you. I believe that for the majority, calorie counting is where they have to start, as most people are overweight because they don't realise how much they eat, or on their 'cheat days' they are eating back the deficit they created over the week. Especially if, as the OP said, they are an emotional eater 'mindfulness' will take as much effort and honesty, if not more, as calorie counting.

For me, it helped to 1. Just calorie count. Eat as you normally would, just make sure you log it, and log it accurately. Get into the mindset that this is isn't about judgement or feeling bad, but rather an inquiry into your own habits. I mean - what have you go to lose? Try getting some exercise, say walking for 15 minutes a day and building it up.

2. After logging for about 3 weeks, decide on your goals. Maybe if you can't bear to go without food, only create a very modest deficit and lose weight slowly, say 0.5lbs a week (about 0.25kg). And do that for two weeks. In subsequent weeks you can up your deficit as you are able to tolerate hunger better. Also, be sure to review those three weeks and look for easy ways to cut out calories - eating 2 chocolate bars a day? Buy one every other day. Eating out 5 nights a week? Commit to cooking for 3 nights of every week. These modifications can result in creating a sizeable deficit without too much pain.

3. Once you have an idea of what a portion should look like, then you can try mindfulness. I am at the stage where I log calories, but pay attention to what my body needs as well. I think if I tried full mindfulness I would regain very quickly, but I am hoping to build up to mindfulness after hitting my goal weight and maintaining for 6 months.

Oh and don't forget to engage your willpower! It shouldn't be a herculean effort that breaks you, but, esp when it comes to weight loss, people seem to want a cure-all that is easy, painless and free! But that's not how life works.