Healthy Shrimp Scampi - Is It Possible??

Options
Hi there,

We LOVE shrimp scampi and fettuccini noodles around our house, but of course, shrimp scampi is traditionally made with TONS of butter. (probably why it tastes so good!!)

Does anyone out there have a healthier/low fat alternative that doesn't taste like crap? My family is trying to be patient with my "healthy eating" kick so I am trying to find a way to make this and actually be able to partake in the meal myself!!

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    Hi there,

We LOVE shrimp scampi and fettuccini noodles around our house, but of course, shrimp scampi is traditionally made with TONS of butter. (probably why it tastes so good!!)

Does anyone out there have a healthier/low fat alternative that doesn't taste like crap? My family is trying to be patient with my "healthy eating" kick so I am trying to find a way to make this and actually be able to partake in the meal myself!!

Thanks so much!!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I dont know, other than using wheat noodles......but if you find out, please share! :)
  • kolbif
    kolbif Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks! I certainly will. I am not worried about the pasta end of it as much as the huge amounts of butter used to cook scampi!! Uggghhh!
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I love cooking so I have an idea for you. I ALWAYS use whole wheat noodles and when you saute the shrimp use just a touch of olive oil or light butter if you want to and lots of garlic! This gives the shrimp a ton of flavor and when the garlic starts to caramelize with the butter it brings all the flavors out.

As for the alfredo sauce... it's really hard to make that low fat. I guess I would just try to make it as low fat as possible by using low fat butter and cheese etc. Or skip the alfredo sauce and just saute some olive oil, garlic and salt and toss noodles in it and add a little cheese.

Good luck!

ps: If all else fails, load up on the shrimp and not so much on the pasta because shrimp is so much more low cal than pasta.
  • deertl
    Options
    My family likes this lighter version of Fettuccine. It is from a Kraft Foods magazine...

Smarter Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce
    8 oz. fettuccine, cooked
    1 1/4 c. fat free, erduced sodium chicken broth
    4 tsp. flour
    1/3 c. light cream cheese spread
    3 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 Tbsp chopped parsley
    Combine broth and flour in medium sausepan. Stir in cream cheese spread, 2 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese, the nutmeg and pepper; cook 2 min stirring constantly with wire whisk until mixture boils and thickens. Toss 1 c. of sauce with 2 oz of pasta and sprinkle with remaining Parmeasan cheese and parsley. Makes 4 servings, 1 c. each.
    Calories 300, fat 4g (sat 3g), cholestrol 15 mg, sodium 380 mg, carbohydrates 46 g, fiber 2 g, sugars 3 g, protein 14 g
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Recipes I have googled but never tried..... They all look fairly tasty!!

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/healthy/weight-watchers/main/shrimp-scampi.htm
    Shrimp Scampi

4 tsp olive oil

1 1/4 pounds med shrimp, peeled (tails left on) and deveined

6-8 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup dry white wine

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup + 1 T minced parsley

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

4 lemon slices

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Saute the shrimp until just pink, 2-3 min. Add the garlic and cook stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon transfer the shrimp to a platter, keep hot.

In the skillet, combine the broth, wine, lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the parsley, the salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until the sauce is reduced by half; spoon over the shrimp. Serve garnished with the lemon slices and sprinkled with the remaining tablespoon of parsley.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving: 184 Calories, 6 gm total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 219 mg Cholesterol, 404 mg sodium, 3 g Total Carbohydrate, 0 g Dietary Fiber, 24 g Protein, 58 mg Calcium.

WW Points: 4 pts per serving

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1019/Butter-Free-Shrimp-Scampi82617.shtml

Butter Free Shrimp Scampi Recipe

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon Olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/4 cup wine, dry white, or vermouth
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
    salt and black pepper to taste
    8 ounces cooked and hot linguini
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, optional

Directions:

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add oregano and stir to coat. Add shrimp and saute until pink, stirring frequently, for 3 minites. Add vermouth or wine and simmer 1 minute.

Dissolve cornstarch in chicken broth and whisk until blended. Add mixture to skillet and simmer 2 minutes, until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer linguini to individual shallow bowls and spoon shrimp and sauce over top. Sprinkle parsley on top if desired.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Butter Free Shrimp Scampi serves/makes 4

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=10667

Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients

1 lb. jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1/4 cup dry, white vermouth
    1 tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
    1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 tbsp grated lemon zest
    Kosher salt
    Ground black pepper

Directions

Shell, devein and dry shrimp (leave tails on).
    Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
    Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add butter.
    When foaming subsides, raise heat to high and add shrimp in single layer.
    Cook shrimp for one minute.
    Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
    Turn shrimp over and cook for two more minutes.
    Transfer shrimp to a serving bowl.
    Return the skillet to medium heat, add vermouth and lemon juice.
    Scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon.
    Boil liquid for 45 seconds, then add the zest and parsley to the sauce.
    Pour sauce over shrimp and toss to combine.
    Divide among four people.

Number of Servings: 4

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 201.0
    Total Fat: 7.8 g
    Cholesterol: 189.6 mg
    Sodium: 759.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 3.4 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g
    Protein: 23.6 g
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Try Fiber Gourmet pasta, 2oz is 130 cal and 18g fiber. It doesn't taste EXACT like white pasta, but it's not bad, and for the purpose intended, works well.

I also like Barilla Plus.

For the scampi, use your daily fat serving (1 tsp EVOO for each svg) to saute everything and toss it into the hot pasta. You can also use Smart Balance Light for less calories and it's still good fat. You can bulk it up with some mushrooms also.

As for alfredo, all it is is a beschemal sauce of cream, butter and parmesan.
    You can have the same effect using the Smart Balance light, parmesan, and a little fat free half and half. You can also try breaking up a Laughing Cow cheese wedge or 2 and melting it into the pasta.

Good luck!
  • veritas0207
    Options
    Using the southbeach recipe book here is the recipe.. its is very good and I plan on making it this week again!

1 1/2 pounds of fresh or thawed shrimp, peeled & deveined.
    3 tablespoons trans-fat free margarine ( i use smart balance olive oil spread)
    4 garlic cloves minced
    1/4 cup of lemon juice (i use fresh)
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/8 red pepper flakes
    salt & pepper to taste

Rinse shrimp under cold water pat dry well with a paper towel, season with salt & pepper
    Heat margarine & garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until melted & bubbly. (1-2 minutes)
    Add shrimp stir to coat. Add lemon juice, parsley and red pepper flakes cook stirring occasionally until the shrimp are pink. (about 2 minutes) DO not overcook. Serves 4

Nutrition :
    230 calories,
    10g fat
    2.5 saturated fat(the shrimp)
    31 g protein
    4 g carbohydrates
    0 fiber
    360 mg sodium

I have served this with a home made caesar salad (phase 1)and then eventually over brown rice.(phase 2-4)
  • pamelaeilf
    Options
    YUM shrimp recipes